1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jan 3, 2018.

1. bry2000

bry2000 Distinguished Member

I am in favor of any mechanism to get more transactions done on B&S.

2. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

it still moves pretty quickly if the px is lower..., I mean look at the clearing px on luxeswap, probably painful for most seller, but if you want speed, current B&S with that level of pricing still move very fast.

3. bry2000

I have been watching luxeswap the last several weeks and have found the NWT things I am interested in go for fairly robust prices (as far as secondary transactions go).

I don’t think there is enough traffic in the B&S forums to matter. I don’t know how grailed was able to build a secondary B&S marketplace while SF, with a multi-year head start and built in community, has not.

4. clee1982

Guess we must be watching different items, quite a lot RLPL/EG/GG is being listed at a fairly low liquidity px if you ask me. Yes Grailed absolutely does better, though I suppose it would take Fok some real budget to pivot B&S to more less completely platform to achieve grailed kind of user experience.

5. King Calder

King Calder Senior Member

In my experience grailed has become a noticeably worse platform to try to sell on. I know a lot of people complain about it but it feels like it's almost all lowballers and flakes asking for measurements or fit pics. I can pretty much only sell stuff at clearinghouse/"I need the closet space more than the money" prices. My working theory is that the second hand market in streetwear is just downstream of what is beginning to feel like a retail oversaturation and more substantial sales across the board, but also the mr porter sale sucked this year so I could be wrong.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Grailed had a few advantages. One is that they started from scratch, with a specific goal. They don't have to deal with either building on, or building from, or interfacing with, a very complicated piece of software. Another is that the forum culture is both and advantage (you have a built in audience) and a disadvantage (imagine selling some of the stuff on Grailed in B&S? You'd be laughed out of town). Grailed cannibalized, and not altogether ethically, specific elements of many forums, including some on their way out, like Hypebeast and Superfuture. They too, ironically, have become somewhat limited by their audience, albeit a larger one.

We are actually looking for someone to build out a platform that j had in mind many years ago, but that looks more like Ebay (which is frankly, more versatile, and suits a variety of different sellers and buyer groups) but has some extra elements. That, or fix the current system to be more user friendly. Unfortunately, and despite everyone's contention to the contrary, finding good developers who are actually good engineers as well, is incredibly difficult. I am actually a decent engineer, but a complete crap developer, and frankly, I have my hands already way too full to be the lead in anything like this.

7. clee1982

Same with CM, people are expecting heavy discount regardless the channel unless it’s NWT, then maybe survive a bit better

8. LA Guy

Well, no duh. When you can find everything save a few pieces (like the CCP scarstitch) at at last 50% off, from a store like Mr Porter, which has great shipping and free returns, and a stressfree transaction, why would anyone buy from a private seller for anything other than a truly bargain basement price?

9. bry2000

I think a major issue on B&S is lack of web traffic. Sure, I can list items at even lower prices. But for some items (popular SF approved brands, NWT items, etc.), I don’t even get bids or other indications of interest. So instead of bidding against myself, I resign myself to keeping the item (or maybe consigning it) and listing something else that may sell instead. With illiquid items, you sell what you can, not necessarily what you want to.

10. King Calder

King Calder Senior Member

hey man a lot of people complain around here about shitty sales so i was hedging.

11. clee1982

Well you can find one just how much you want to pay (or can afford to pay)...

12. clee1982

Well if you really think your px is a px that will move, then put on eBay, chances are you will find out the actual clearing px is quite a bit lower...

13. clee1982

Also hot NWT item is over rated in the “yes the 1st one that gets attention will clear at good px”, but by the 3rd one (same quality as first one, also NWT) the demand will already drop down to the guy who wants another 30 off vs what the first guy paid

14. clee1982

+1, same goes for CM side look at how deep Saks/Barney’s final discount goes...

15. LA Guy

This is absolutely true, and frankly, also the issue with Grailed, and any number of niche marketplaces. And this is why Ebay does, and will, continue to win, and win big. The easiest way to see the relative size of the audience of buyers vs sellers is whether a system has enough traffic to support auctions. There are an exceedingly small number of marketplaces, including much, much, larger forums (a tenfold, even) that can support a working auction system (i.e. multiple bidders on items).

And @clee1982 's point in his last post is cogent to this discussion as well. If you have a gigantic audience (I'm talking Ebay levels), you will have many buyers at the initial price. However, if your audience is moderate, and both Styleforum and Grailed have moderate audiences compared to something like Ebay or Y! Auctions or whatever, the number of item X that will go for the initial price ill drop off very quickly.

Incidentally, even on Ebay, a lot of items languish. A lot of the same items are... dun dun dun, also offered on Grailed, and sometimes here. The best is when people say "I just want to get back what I paid, plus shipping". Huh? You got that from a legit business, with essentially no risk of fraud, damage, etc... and now you want someone to assume a greater risk, but also at a higher price? How exactly do you expect that to work out for you? smh.