1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jan 3, 2018.

1. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Distinguished Member

1. Yes, homelessness is a multi-faceted issue that is pernicious and compounded by significant factors outside of any individual's control - almost as if it requires a social solution!
    2. Abuse victims, addicts, criminals are all much more likely to be homeless - or to become those things through homelessness - especially in states like California where mental health institutions were turfed out by Regan - where do people who can't look after themselves end up?
    3. Do you give money to these places, or do you just lament 'reality' while photographing someone who is suffering to post online to prove a point?

Man who demonizes homeless people and conflates mental illness with violence lectures on not 'lionising' literally one of the most vulnerable group in his society.

The idea that we need protection from people that don't even have the agency to buy their own food is extremely flimsy a premise and speaks more to paranoia than anything else.

I buy an ice cream on a hot day for $6.80 and I'm walking down the street some dude is begging for change, what kind of an asshole walks enjoying their stupidly lucky life and doesn't even have a tinge or sympathy or chuck $.20 to help?

Probably the same people photographing homeless people and posting it online in the same page asking for over-priced bar recommendations.

What a wank.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

That someone has little agency or is himself or herself vulnerable is not mutually exclusive with their being more likely to be potentially dangerous. Also, is it really paranoia when you have many, and multiple, personal experiences? It might contribute to experience bias, but it's scarcely paranoia.

re. homelessness - I'm going to bet that I've had a much closer brush with this than pretty much anyone else posting here, and for factors completely beyond my control, by any measure. I'm not going to post details publicly, but those on the board who know me personally, can probably at least guess at some of the reasons why. If you wish to know more, and are willing to get off your high horse, you are welcome to PM me. My takeaway from my experience is that social a and governmental institutions are pretty useless, and that at the end of the day, you have to rely on your personal network of friends (another good reason to choose friends who you know will have your back no matter the cost) and family, and that there isn't anyone else in the world going to help you, or will feel obligated enough to do so in a way that will truly put them out of their way. Yeah, maybe they'll throw you whatever they have left over, their $0.20, but that's just virtue signalling, and makes no difference whatsoever.

Re the term "lionizing". It's a common mistake to conflate affluence with moral culpability and poverty with virtue. Some of the language and assertions in some of @dieworkwear 's posts - that he feels that he has more in common with the homeless than with tech people - for example, show this common type of bias. That's all that I'm talking about.

3. DLester

DLester Distinguished Member

Hi friend. I believe you have confused me with somebody else.

4. Riva

Riva Distinguished Member

+1 That's your greatest country on earth ;)

5. DLester

DLester Distinguished Member

Dear Management: I move to ship this convo to CE where it can race to the bottom of the internet. I apologize for my role in stoking it. I just want to talk about fun socks now.

6. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

This belongs in a museum.

7. Riva

Fiction vs RL. I want my finally affordable 5% off Tom Ford orphaned jacket.

IMG_20190516_093924.jpg

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I have a pair of Happy Socks somewhere. They were green and tartan - a neon green tartan. I dunno what I was thinking.

9. Nbarbar

Nbarbar Senior Member

I have a Caruso one in wool silk that is pretty great. I think it was called a surgeon jacket. Picked it up at their short lived store on the UES

10. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

11. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Distinguished Member

12. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Reduced margins on items on sale? You don't say!

Did you see the IG post by Barker with the shark and plastic bag? Shameless stuff, man

13. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Distinguished Member

You’ve got it all wrong Greg. The big brands have finally recognised the plight of the young Emerging Traditionalist (c). Having seen the light, they are simply doing their bit to help young chaps like Nevill, the struggling art student from inner (but not too inner) metropolitan London afford his first Vicuña gown.

It’s practically charity.

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 5:17 AM

14. Riva

Good karma. Thank you Wei for being such a charitable pioneer.

15. steveoffice

steveoffice Distinguished Member

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 6:10 AM