• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow you've been to mumbai (bombay to those who haven't succumbed to the NE US urban thoughtpolice) and you can even cite orientalist opera. your hot takes the world are v sophisticated.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"there is something superior, something delicate, in the nature of Frenchmen which other nations recognise." - Chateaubriand

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I claim Cantonese food. And yes, I would characterize just Chinese food alone as broad as all European food. They are sometimes nearly completely dissimilar except for the implements and equipment used for cooking and eating, much like European cookery (so, the wok an0d the steamer taking the place of the pan and the oven, though the oven is used in some parts of China as well), but otherwise can have completely different flavor profiles, philosophies of cookery, etc... And this is not even counting the food from the Islamic and other non-Han minorities in China. Then you'd have to add North Africa or something. Include Japan and the south-Eastern Asian countries, and it's even more massive. If I had to choose one cuisine, as defined in western terms, to eat forever, it would be Chinese, though, since it's basically an entire continent's food traditions all lumped into a single category.

And yeah, I love me some good Chinese American food as well. I think that immigrant food is vastly interesting. You come to a new continent, and have access to only a small fraction of the ingredients you are used to, but there is food aplenty, and you do what makes the most sense. You make sphaghetti and meatballs. It's both a celebration of new found plenty and a concession that it's not home anymore.

Alright, just ate breakfast but am now hungry again.
Japanese and Korean is almost the equivalent of Australian and possibly American cuisine. Influenced by and similar but not exactly the same. South East Asian is practically broadly similar to South American including Mexican. Where the native tradition mixes with the immigrant and/or colonial tradition. Which I believe it is not very present in North America.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ am a child of immigrants, know the "where do i belong" feeling. In australia I was lebanese, when i visited lebanon i was "the australian". It's the same here in Paris for friends with parents from the Maghreb. You get over it, and end up seeing it as a positive thing i.e having two "motherlands" (prefer the french word, patrie) rather than not belonging to either.

I'm white

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"there is something superior, something delicate, in the nature of Frenchmen which other nations recognise." - Chateaubriand

Il est des génies heureux qui n'ont besoin de consulter personne, qui produisent sans effort avec abondance des choses parfaites; je n'ai rien de cette facilité naturelle, surtout en littérature.

- Chateaubriand, preface to <<Le Paradise perdu de Milton>>

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
that is USPS for you, dont be shocked if it end up in Canada before it arrived to you..........LOL

Not uncommon for USPS. Everything is done electronically and weird stuff tends to happen.

Last year, I sent a letter certified mail to an address one mile away . The letter traveled throughout the Middle Atlantic States until it finally reached its destination nine days later. Really unbelievable.

Haha glad to hear it’s not something new, it’s one hell of a detour that’s for sure. I thought it was just some dudes that said nah FL to NY is too easy....send that **** to Oregon to make sure it can’t make it to NY before the quoted 3 days

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I've had that happen like once ever if i recall correctly.

GeorgeC

Reaction score
Thoughts on denim jackets? Which brands to look for? Not into the "denim head" look or whatever.
Looking at the Orslow ones (type I or II) to go with my olive fatigues and UU jeans (large and cropped). Anyone got experience with Orslow (and sizing)? Thanks!

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Il serait pas super content s'il venait maintenant, le seul grand remplacement c'est celui de Chateaubriand par les beaufs à fric startuppeurs.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Will Welch in a pretty nice suit outfit

https://www.gq.com/gallery/anna-wintour-toasts-will-welch-party-photos

DSC_1849-RTMM.jpg
DSC_1779-RTMM.jpg

DSC_1655.jpg

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thoughts on denim jackets? Which brands to look for? Not into the "denim head" look or whatever.
Looking at the Orslow ones (type I or II) to go with my olive fatigues and UU jeans (large and cropped). Anyone got experience with Orslow (and sizing)? Thanks!

Something kind of different (i.e., not a standard Type 1/2/3 denim jacket), but I have an Indigofera Copeland jacket and really like it. Their Fargo jacket looks nice too.

And wait, @erictheobscure ”orientalist opera?” There’s something wrong with Madama Buttefly?!?!? Oh dear.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Il serait pas super content s'il venait maintenant, le seul grand remplacement c'est celui de Chateaubriand par les beaufs à fric startuppeurs.
Rene etait pragmatique, il a meme bosse avec le Corse. Je le vois plutot ecrire Soumission, le GdC contemporain.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
martin margiela is going to be on the judges panel at andam

https://www.vogue.com/article/martin-margiela-will-judge-this-years-andam-prize

"At the end of 2018, the team here at Vogue Runway wagered on a bold prediction for the year to come: That somehow, in some way, Martin Margiela would return to fashion. From our mouths to God’s ears. Today, it was announced that the reclusive designer who departed his namesake brand in 2009 would be a judge for the 2019 ANDAM Prize.

Margiela will be on a panel of judges who include M/M Paris founders Michaël Amzalag and Mathias Augustyniak, photographer Harley Weir, and Vogue Paris editor in chief Emmanuelle Alt. Together they will choose the winners of ANDAM’s prizes for young designers."

@RegisDB9 this is your chance bro if not now then when? enter to win.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
martin margiela is going to be on the judges panel at andam

https://www.vogue.com/article/martin-margiela-will-judge-this-years-andam-prize

"At the end of 2018, the team here at Vogue Runway wagered on a bold prediction for the year to come: That somehow, in some way, Martin Margiela would return to fashion. From our mouths to God’s ears. Today, it was announced that the reclusive designer who departed his namesake brand in 2009 would be a judge for the 2019 ANDAM Prize.

Margiela will be on a panel of judges who include M/M Paris founders Michaël Amzalag and Mathias Augustyniak, photographer Harley Weir, and Vogue Paris editor in chief Emmanuelle Alt. Together they will choose the winners of ANDAM’s prizes for young designers."

@RegisDB9 this is your chance bro if not now then when? enter to win.
I feel sorry for the young designers. The entire fashion press will be there for one person only

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads