• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just googled this JM Weston and it's the exact same shape - a loafer!!

Moto: a loafer
6ZFaqY8.jpg

JM Weston: also a loafer
Jqh2tOA.jpg

Btw, I wanna wear them with raw denim, like this:

NwhRvqO.jpg
Anywhere to buy Moto outside Japan? Interested in the green. Leffot did a green shell Venetian loafer with Rancourt years ago and I have always regretted not picking those up. Great shoes for the Summer.

JMW 180 is one of the best loafer designs in the market and would work well with your look, but I found the fit to be problematic so I would suggest getting fitted at a JMW shop if you go that route.

Last edited:

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Styleforum Journal needs more articles from SWD guys. I realize CM has more “rules” which makes for more focused articles but even just some of those stories of how a style develops would be great.
Thinking specifically of guys like @Fuuma @jet @bry2000 @ManofKent and a bunch of others.
I like the CM stories but we need more from the other side.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anywhere to buy Moto outside Japan? Interested in the green. Leffot did a green shell Venetian loafer with Rancourt years ago and I have always regretted not picking those up. Great shoes for the Summer.

JMW 180 is one of the best loafer designs in the market and would work well with your look, but I found the fit to be problematic so I would suggest getting fitted at a JMW shop if you go that route.

No overseas stockists I know of... they just put them on webstore, so could maybe buy them with a proxy.

http://store-motostyle.jp/

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Styleforum Journal needs more articles from SWD guys. I realize CM has more “rules” which makes for more focused articles but even just some of those stories of how a style develops would be great.
Thinking specifically of guys like @Fuuma @jet @bry2000 @ManofKent and a bunch of others.

They used to a lot of member focuses. Balti, Beep, Chet, wbaker, jomatoekoe, etc. Would be cool to bring it back

gong

Reaction score
what happened to 5 zip prices? i bought a calf/silver zip one a few years ago for a little over 1k and now they're 2.5k for goat leather?

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Rancourt would likely make you a Venetian in your choice of shell color. They used to do off menu MTO like that anyway. Maybe not cheap. They also list some nice unlined shell loafers as standard mto in a range of colors. Moto construction may be preferable IDK.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just googled this JM Weston and it's the exact same shape - a loafer!!

Moto: a loafer
6ZFaqY8.jpg

JM Weston: also a loafer
Jqh2tOA.jpg

Btw, I wanna wear them with raw denim, like this:

NwhRvqO.jpg

I think the JM Weston 180s would look great with that outfit. For some reason, I still think of you in very dark "artisanal" stuff, although I know you said in another thread you don't wear that as much anymore. Obviously wouldn't recommend 180s for that, but they work with more "classic" casual looks.

Motos and 180s look different to me. The Motos look a touch more rounded with a front that slightly slopes down. 180s are known for their high side walls. Motos almost have a workwear feel, whereas JM Weston 180s feel like "classic" casualwear. Some photos:

tumblr_inline_o8kbr5IRju1qfex1b_500.jpg
tumblr_inline_o8h1hkdF6w1qfex1b_500.jpg
tumblr_inline_o8qnviYYi51qfex1b_500.jpg
tumblr_inline_o8kbno4RkN1qfex1b_500.jpg

I really recommend trying them on in-store to get a feel for the fit. It's hard to size loafers online because there's no lacing (so the fit has to be perfect). But for some reason, JM Weston decided to complicate this waaaaayyyyy more than any other brand by using three sizing systems and a non-traditional sizing conversion. If you really want to buy online, just send me a DM and I can give you a rundown of the sizing system (it's kind of long, so I don't want to bother people with it here).

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of stories would everyone like? I’ve done focuses on Evan Kinori and 18East, and included streetwear on season previews.

Last edited:

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Alden’s LHS loafers, and realize I may be in the minority, but I wear them with practically everything shy of workwear and black tie. There are always better options, but I find myself wearing them in spite of that and on purpose. Flannel DBs, jeans & a sport coat (probably the only time it really makes sense), and shorts and a guayabera.

Last edited:

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of stories would everyone like? I’ve done focuses on Evan Kinori and 18East, and included streetwear on season previews.

I really like hearing about mistakes older members made along the way. For beginners looking at a great Yohji piece but only having right fitting garments it’s grwat to avoid buying stuff you won’t wear just cause it looks cool in a picture.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm an expert on loafers; my expert advice is not to wear loafers.

I used to be 100% behind this - then I came across a pair of Stemar Sorrento loafers (in deerskin), and I changed my mind. However, they are very different from the Weston or Moto ones we've been looking at here
stemar-black-deerskin-penny-loafers-product-4-9888932-074308344.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads