• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
iunno, i don't think i could maintain this zen attitude if my dryer took THREE OR FOUR HOURS TO NOT DRY MY BEDDING AND UNDERWEAR

LOl, the problem people often have is that the washer is also a dryer (same appliance) and it just removes excess water, you're supposed to hang the sheets afterwards. If you have a separate dryer you won't have any problems.

I guess I can understand the love for bigg ass fridges with ice machines and what it represents for some people but I mean dryers, let's calm down.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
to cut a littler closer to this forum:

america's embrace of kondo seems to be part of a larger pattern whereby japan is seen to be better at capitalist life/production because they've resisted/rejected certain modes of capitalist life/production. i.e., the japanese make really great food or clothes or whatever precisely because they operate in some sort of artisanal/arduous apprentice-based model that, of course, americans might praise but would never really attempt for themselves. and so the actual thing to do is to fetishize japanese production/life (enjoy it by proxy) and/or pay lots of money to buy some piece of it. i take it that this pegs japan in a kind of niche category--in the aftermath of japan having occupied the bogeyman of economic fears in the 80s or whatever.

i do agree that this is all a form of orientalism, but our working model of orientalism has always been in danger of being too static (that is, edward said's model has long been critiqued for viewing orientalism as a kind of permanent apparatus stretching from the medieval period or even antiquity to the twentieth century). but i think the kondo thing gives us a chance to be more precise in what this orientalist fantasy of japanese capitalist/post-capitalist/anti-capitalist/hyper-bougie living is doing for americans.

side rant: i like sushi but am deeply suspicious of omakase. i think it's a part of bizarre japanese veneration. i certainly wouldn't go to a french restaurant where the very expensive prix fixe menu changes all the time and the point is that they won't tell you what they're serving on any particular day because chef knows best and why would you question him.

It is quite obvious that Kondo has allowed the public to view getting rid of orphan socks or whatever the **** happens in that show (haven't seen it) as some form of zen-like personal growth bullshit but to add on what you,re saying this is Orientalism filtered through the post-hippie redirection of political energy toward self-care/ the return of the repressed market in the leftist dream of emancipation. Basically you can blame California not just them Brits.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I can understand the love for bigg ass fridges with ice machines and what it represents for some people but I mean dryers, let's calm down.

make serenity great again

Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 1.00.26 PM.png

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
to cut a littler closer to this forum:

america's embrace of kondo seems to be part of a larger pattern whereby japan is seen to be better at capitalist life/production because they've resisted/rejected certain modes of capitalist life/production. i.e., the japanese make really great food or clothes or whatever precisely because they operate in some sort of artisanal/arduous apprentice-based model that, of course, americans might praise but would never really attempt for themselves. and so the actual thing to do is to fetishize japanese production/life (enjoy it by proxy) and/or pay lots of money to buy some piece of it. i take it that this pegs japan in a kind of niche category--in the aftermath of japan having occupied the bogeyman of economic fears in the 80s or whatever.

i do agree that this is all a form of orientalism, but our working model of orientalism has always been in danger of being too static (that is, edward said's model has long been critiqued for viewing orientalism as a kind of permanent apparatus stretching from the medieval period or even antiquity to the twentieth century). but i think the kondo thing gives us a chance to be more precise in what this orientalist fantasy of japanese capitalist/post-capitalist/anti-capitalist/hyper-bougie living is doing for americans.

side rant: i like sushi but am deeply suspicious of omakase. i think it's a part of bizarre japanese veneration. i certainly wouldn't go to a french restaurant where the very expensive prix fixe menu changes all the time and the point is that they won't tell you what they're serving on any particular day because chef knows best and why would you question him.

Not sure if we even know what we're really elevating. This makes life sound like it can be pretty awful, at least viewed from the outside (not saying American's insistently sunny hustlemania is any better): https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/02/world/asia/japan-working-mothers.html

Also, in re. omakase, isn't this essentially a tasting menu? I guess they do say what they're serving at any given point, but it's still very much a chef/kitchen centered experience and jeez they make you buy the meal ahead of time even at some places! There is something liberating about showing up and they just bring food out. Though it gets a little exhausting having to nod with interest as every dishes 18 ingredients are recited and then you forget what you're eating because you didn't actually order it and there are too many things to remember anyway.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never bothered with a dryer - most of the year a washing line is fine.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clothesline is sort of where i'm heading. we're almost certainly pulling the dishwasher out of our new place and maybe the washer/dryer. i've never owned a microwave. there are a lot of useless appliances imo but i get that other people do things their way. my biggest concern is if we decide to sell after a while are those things actually seen as some sort of formal american necessity haha. my suspicion is the hookups are enough.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will never give up a dishwasher

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a washer and dryer. Being Asian American, I use my dishwasher as a drying rack. It’s nice to have.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a washer and dryer. Being Asian American, I use my dishwasher as a drying rack. It’s nice to have.

I'm a cultural sell out

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics