1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jan 3, 2018.

1. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Distinguished Member

Margiela shirt obviously a visual meditation on the unstable typological relationship between blood/ink (between the letter of the law that insists on the corporeal vs. the spirit of the law that appeals to a truer meaning) as imagined by The Merchant of Venice.

Portia, to Shylock:
    This bond doth give thee here no jot of blood;
    The words expressly are 'a pound of flesh:'
    Take then thy bond, take thou thy pound of flesh;
    But, in the cutting it, if thou dost shed
    One drop of Christian blood, thy lands and goods
    Are, by the laws of Venice, confiscate
    Unto the state of Venice.

Spelled as 'one iote' in the Geneva Bible and as 'iot' in Shakespeare's Folio, both Portian and Jesus refer to the Greek iota modeled on the Hebrew yodh, its simple stroke constituting the most minimal letter in both alphabets . . . Portia's reference to the 'jot of blood' serves both to align Shylock's bond with the bloody letter of the law and to associate her own legalism not with Shylock's Judaism but with the internalizing 'fulfillment' of the law brought about in Christ's post-Sinai Sermon on the Mount. . . . Portia's maneuver functions dialectically, as the negation of a negation, a sublation that locates the two characters on either side of a historical divide.
    - Julia Reinhard Lupton, Citizen-Saints (Chicago, 2005)

Too large to be a jot, neither ink nor blood, worn on the body (over the body) but resisting any signification, the Margiela shirt tries to clog the wheels of dialectical machinery.

2. ChetB

ChetB Distinguished Member

How do you say “Margiela”?

I’ve always said it mar-gel-uh ... like gel as in hair gel.

But then I heard Noah Johnson saying “mar-jay-luh” on the Corporate Lunch podcast and now I’m wondering if I need to go hurl myself from a cliff in shame.

3. mmmargeologist

mmmargeologist Senior Member

4. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Distinguished Member

I say Mar-jay-uh

Probably wrong.

5. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Distinguished Member

I looked up an ad on YouTube to hear the pronunciation but I forget what it was.

6. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Distinguished Member

7. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

some other important ones.

dont get these wrong you numbnuts.

8. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

I’ve adopted my girls “Marty Marjelly” namesake cause she makes it sound very cute. I’ve never met or seen any Margiela here in the wilds of Palm Beach so never had to pronounce it correctly to anyone

Well I guess there was that time a couple years back when some kid told me “what are those” and I replied Maison Martin Margiela Replica 50’s Cuban sidezips in chocolate. Left him questioning his existence by the look he gave me

9. mmmargeologist

10. jet

jet Persian Bro

hopefully you're kidding

Never liked these sorts of infused whimsy that margiela did but I have a jil sander shirt with a giant fucking rose on the chest. I also have a mmm pulled neck sweater and my buddy had an intentionally pilled black crew neck sweater, almost like a casentino sweater. I didn't really care for his line 14 stuff which was like boring business casual shit. There was a lot to sift through but there were some hits every season.

11. mmmargeologist

I’ll ask Alexa

12. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Distinguished Member

I think you were missing the point that I am arguing in favour of the 'fake' and against 'authenticity'. I love Kapital's artistry and have plenty of their stuff as well as other Japanese brands that trade on the 'fake' boro look (Koromo / KRM, Blue Blue Japan etc.) and plenty of 'fake' workwear that has never seen manual labour and never will. We agree.

13. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Distinguished Member

Kanye taught me how to pronounce Margiela

14. baltimoron

baltimoron Distinguished Member

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Holes in jeans just triggers my OCD extra crazy. Not on others, but on myself.