1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendors We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendors, Shibumi Firenze bringing us classic accessories and bespoke tailoring from Florence, and owned long time member "Bradford", and Jonathan Abel who bring us their Goodyear welted shoes made in Portugal.

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jan 3, 2018.

1. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Bene I am disappoint.

MGGo's posts are good and can basically be summarised thusly:

1. The biochemistry you learnt in pre-med is correct and hasn't changed in overall meaning since the 60s: there is a massive redundancy in the way our bodies can utilise fuel. Apart from the extremes (which are obviously sub-optimal), there's very little evidence to suggest any particular macronutrient ratio is particularly prudent, nor any attempt to hijack our endocrine system. "Insulin spiking", low carb diets etc etc - all of it is bullshit. The one exception is intermittent fasting which has shown some very mild preliminary endocrine features (not necessarily benefits) in some people.

2. Likewise, standard dietary advice is still mostly right - eat whole plant foods, avoid saturated fat and cholesterol, avoid processed foods.

3. The one point where they get it wrong is the "everything in moderation". That does not work. The most effective diets ARE restrictive; these are the so-called "lifestyle changes". Most long term evidence suggests that it is these changes, as opposed to "diets" that produce long term positive changes
    - no (refined) sugar works
    - no eating at work (great for people who work shifts) or other similarly strict strategies
    - intermittent fasting in its various forms
    - low carb diets - I don't recommend these because they usually feature high saturated fat and remove healthy foods that are high in carbohydrate such as whole grains etc, but it can't be denied that they help with weight loss, and that's purely because of the restrictions they place
    - ethical/religious dietary changes

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Distinguished Member

The road of excess leads to the palace of being dead at 27.

3. Pangolin

Pangolin Senior Member

...but who else are we also?
    160608125035-medieval-killer-rabbits-8-super-169.jpg

4. Benesyed

Benesyed Distinguished Member

Bene I am disappoint.
    Idk why you are disappointed! I didnt say anything that crazy!

MGGo's posts are good and can basically be summarised thusly:

1. The biochemistry you learnt in pre-med is correct and hasn't changed in overall meaning since the 60s: there is a massive redundancy in the way our bodies can utilise fuel. Apart from the extremes (which are obviously sub-optimal), there's very little evidence to suggest any particular macronutrient ratio is particularly prudent, nor any attempt to hijack our endocrine system. "Insulin spiking", low carb diets etc etc - all of it is bullshit. The one exception is intermittent fasting which has shown some very mild preliminary endocrine features (not necessarily benefits) in some people.

I agree, as long as you meet the protein requirement for maintaining or building the rest doesn't matter. As far as spiking it very well may be garbage or only apply to people taking pharmaceuticals. I dont know any randomized trial that looks specifically at such a strategy and muscle gain over a prolonged period of time. Moreover the body does shift towards homeostasis so any short term gain might dissapate overtime.

2. Likewise, standard dietary advice is still mostly right - eat whole plant foods, avoid saturated fat and cholesterol, avoid processed foods.

Yeah for overall health this is obviously true. That being said the saturated fat and cholesterol issue is not as clear cut. Dietary cholesterol is being questioned for its link to heart disease. And sat fat is probably is not as bad as its portrayed to be. Its much more so that the amount we take in is far beyond what we need. that being said, from my limited endocrine experience, high sugar diets are much more likely to produce diabetes especially in those prone and those who dont look like they should have it.

3. The one point where they get it wrong is the "everything in moderation". That does not work. The most effective diets ARE restrictive; these are the so-called "lifestyle changes". Most long term evidence suggests that it is these changes, as opposed to "diets" that produce long term positive changes
    - no (refined) sugar works
    - no eating at work (great for people who work shifts) or other similarly strict strategies
    - intermittent fasting in its various forms
    - low carb diets - I don't recommend these because they usually feature high saturated fat and remove healthy foods that are high in carbohydrate such as whole grains etc, but it can't be denied that they help with weight loss, and that's purely because of the restrictions they place
    - ethical/religious dietary changes

Depends. You can have most foods in moderation but moderation for some of these foods is probably extremely small servings, much smaller than pragmatically consumed. That being said it also depends on your caloric expenditure. I dont mean this from an overall longevity standpoint - i honestly have 0 desire to live a long life. Sometimes you can fight excess with excess. The worst part about residency is that its shifted exercise down on the priority scale so i can do my 2-3 day 4-6 mile runs that i did in medical school. If that was the case still I could still look much more in shape than i do now and eat like a disgusting fat pig. Because ultimately i kinda like running esp when i get into the habit but most of all i like shitty foods.

5. beepbop

beepbop Senior Member

Honestly the best part about picking up running and training for a 10 mile race in April is that I can basically eat like a trash person right now, and between the running and lifting, I'm still losing weight.

6. Benesyed

Benesyed Distinguished Member

Here for a good time, not a long time :D

7. John L

John L Senior Member

random dietitian thoughts

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Since I've been on a 70s kick recently, I listened to Elton John's "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" this morning:

But now it's time to start warming up, and this is not gonna do it.

9. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Distinguished Member

Preach

10. King Calder

King Calder Senior Member

Introducing....whale’s boner.

82BBBFA9-7AC8-4D9E-8C30-BE36414117DC.jpeg

11. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Distinguished Member

wales bonner is great stuff, seriously

12. ShoutOutsFoMyBo

ShoutOutsFoMyBo Senior Member

yeah all joking aside i, too, like whale boners

13. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Bene this is wrong on both counts. Saturated fat and cholesterol has one of the clearest, most proven links to heart disease that you can possibly get within the limitations of nutrition research, and high saturated fat is far more predictive of t2dm than high sugar (not that either is good).

14. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Yeah but you know as well as anyone knows that the consequences are more likely to be chronic than acute.

It'd be nice to have an MI and drop dead but the reality is you'll prob ably be living for years with deteriorating health, medication and impaired qol.

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Random Happy Thoughts.