• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@LA Guy yea so I'm a few years younger but one of the things that kept me from establishing the habit was injuries or pulling muscles in the initial habit forming time frame. This time around i am taking it easy. I made it 3x last week, 30-45 mins each and that was good. Once i get that down and solid i'll add more exercises. I want to be able to keep up with the kiddo's in my 40s when they play sports and etc. Of course i wanna be around a long time as well :)

It's just a matter of doing it when you are supposed to, whether you want to or not, whether you are tired or not, whether you have had any sleep or not, whether you are stressed or not, whether you are behind on work or not. I don't think it's a habit so much as a commitment. For me, at least, it has never become easy. I never get up and say "Gonna work out today, awesome!" or "Gonna go train and spar today, awesome!" Some people do, but not me, especially in the second case. Some people make it "fun", but for me, it's always been work, and if it's competitive, stressful work. All I'm saying is, don't expect it to become enjoyable just because you do it a lot, or you could be disappointed. That how I see a lot of people drop off. I've worked out (not always lifted) since I was about 18 years old, and except for breaks because of injuries, in which case I would and continue to modify workouts, or medical issues, in which case, sure, you don't want to risk permanent debilitation, and I've seen a ton of people who started out with me drop off and never pick it back up because at some point it stopped being enjoyable. That said, I know an old ex-Marine, with the handlebar mustache and all, who is at or approaching 70 now, who looks amazing for his age, and can still do pullups, because he has done three days a week, strenuous but not super long workouts, since he enlisted, he told me, when he was 18. So, there's that.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, and he keeps telling us that to get rid of the ads we should "clean out our cache." And send the cache were? Moscow, Idaho is my bet... :puzzled:

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God so much of politics nowadays is defined by people who read the first paragraph of random Wikipedia pages.

if they even read any wiki we would be better off. i think u meant random fbook meme

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So here's what I'm learning:

1. Maps have all of these places on them.
2. This Alex Jones likely missed his calling as a heavy metal vocalist.

Are these the right takeaways?

conceptual 4est

Reaction score
if they even read any wiki we would be better off. i think u meant random fbook meme

17155782_1407448252639168_8303977300308621717_n.jpg

conceptual 4est

Reaction score
So here's what I'm learning:

1. Maps have all of these places on them.
2. This Alex Jones likely missed his calling as a heavy metal vocalist.

Are these the right takeaways?

There is an Alex Jones meme for every situation

26907814_2073192639580462_4832242133374998298_n.jpg

ok back to work..

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God so much of politics nowadays is defined by people who read the first paragraph of random Wikipedia pages.

Normally I get really mad when people misuse the term random, which happens a lot. In this case I think you actually used it perfectly.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
It's just a matter of doing it when you are supposed to, whether you want to or not, whether you are tired or not, whether you have had any sleep or not, whether you are stressed or not, whether you are behind on work or not. I don't think it's a habit so much as a commitment. For me, at least, it has never become easy. I never get up and say "Gonna work out today, awesome!" or "Gonna go train and spar today, awesome!" Some people do, but not me, especially in the second case. Some people make it "fun", but for me, it's always been work, and if it's competitive, stressful work. All I'm saying is, don't expect it to become enjoyable just because you do it a lot, or you could be disappointed. That how I see a lot of people drop off. I've worked out (not always lifted) since I was about 18 years old, and except for breaks because of injuries, in which case I would and continue to modify workouts, or medical issues, in which case, sure, you don't want to risk permanent debilitation, and I've seen a ton of people who started out with me drop off and never pick it back up because at some point it stopped being enjoyable. That said, I know an old ex-Marine, with the handlebar mustache and all, who is at or approaching 70 now, who looks amazing for his age, and can still do pullups, because he has done three days a week, strenuous but not super long workouts, since he enlisted, he told me, when he was 18. So, there's that.

Bruh at the ripe age of 63 I've never once gone to the gym and finished thinking to myself "that was not fun." If every day is squat day then every day is fun day. Don't need to do knee busting numbers just get that booty down low, couple other compound lifts and core workout if you like, and stay focused throughout no chatting to people or staring at the vanity girls or checking phone. Go home and make a smoothie (clean, not filled with sugary slop) and warm shower then it's relax city all night long. It's too easy not to do it. Non lifting days I just go running usually to a destination like some market where I can get nice cheeses or yummy brunch or play soccer or basketball...And if you ever lack motivation just re-watch Pumping Iron sup jet

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bruh at the ripe age of 63 I've never once gone to the gym and finished thinking to myself "that was not fun." If every day is squat day then every day is fun day. Don't need to do knee busting numbers just get that booty down low, couple other compound lifts and core workout if you like, and stay focused throughout no chatting to people or staring at the vanity girls or checking phone. Go home and make a smoothie (clean, not filled with sugary slop) and warm shower then it's relax city all night long. It's too easy not to do it. Non lifting days I just go running usually to a destination like some market where I can get nice cheeses or yummy brunch or play soccer or basketball...And if you ever lack motivation just re-watch Pumping Iron sup jet

I always feel satisfied that I worked out (today was a cardio heavy day), but I am never super motivated to start. Some people seem to be. I drag myself in and make myself do it, and have for decades now. I see it as a responsibility rather than a hobby. For me, it's that attitude that has always kept me going. Maybe it's just the Chinese in me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads