1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendors We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendors, Shibumi Firenze bringing us classic accessories and bespoke tailoring from Florence, and owned long time member "Braddock", and Jonathan Abel who bring us their Goodyear welted shoes made in Portugal.

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jan 3, 2018.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Ad ops got overly enthusiastic. If you clear your cache, it should be gone now.

2. LA Guy

That they would be clueless should not be surprising, regardless of course their stature. They are not heads of state who get briefed on local norms and customs. I meet people from all over the world, all over the world, and the degree to which cultural experiences do not translate is very high.

In Italy, I had a discussion with some members of the fashion industry on the difference between saying "colored people" and "people of color." They were not trying to be provocative, just curious about language. Language and cultural perceptions change at a very high rate, and it's unrealistic to expect someone from another part of the world, who speaks a different native tongue, to have any intuition about our local racial politics. The world, and the fashion industry is a lot more siloed than you might expect, is all that I can say, I suppose.

Anyway, I suppose that my original question has its answer in yours.

3. double00

double00 Distinguished Member

lol first the CEsspool comes to RFT (thx fok) and then the post explaining strong shoulder! good stuff.

4. sinnedk

sinnedk Stylish Dinosaur

What are some cool gym sneakers that I can leave at work, a good bang for the buck and don’t look overly hideious.

5. LA Guy

I
    Adidas NMDs work reasonably well. I personally still wear Nike Frees in grey tones. I suppose I should ask - what do you do in the gym?

6. wakiem

wakiem Senior Member

Exactly. The word carries less negativity in here. For example, we have cakes that were called 'negerzoen' (= negro kisses) or 'negerinnentet' (= negro boobs) until recently and people still call them like that in reality. Kids grow up with these, loving them. Kids also grow up with hip hop where the word nigga is thrown around like nothing. Because of this recent controversy I read a bit more about this topic and e.g. I read Americans questioning whether white people can sing along with N***as in Paris or whether they should blank out that word? I have never heard anyone complain about that. If that song pops up in a club, everyone sings along.
    And we know the word can have a negative meaning (especially the -er version, the -a version has much less negativity around it, maybe even a positive vibe) and that you shouldn't address a black person with it, but I feel like all of that is much more context dependent here than in America.
    I liked this article: https://medium.com/akoma-media/hearing-the-n-word-in-europe-time-to-end-the-word-c252c8bd0b2b

7. sinnedk

sinnedk Stylish Dinosaur

For now I’m just lifting. Then going to add cardio and some swimming.

I’m just trying to establish the habit for now. You know just going. No matter what just gotta go and things will come into place.

I haven’t lifted or worked out habitually since my early 20s. I’m 34 now and want to be fit/healthy. I have a good routine that works well for me and works even better when I start adding to it.

8. 1969

1969 Distinguished Member

I like metcons for some lateral stability. Frees are good north to south but not east west.

9. sinnedk

sinnedk Stylish Dinosaur

Nice thanks. I wear nike presto as my casual sneaks. But want something a bit cheaper for th gym maybe under $100.

Also I’m Nike through n through for sneakers. I have had everything over the years, Nike look and comfort works best for me.

10. LA Guy

Yeah, probably not the frees, then. I do a lot of body weight and cardio exercises, and then kettlebells, but do very little lifting, for a variety of reasons, but primarily because 1) I am not supposed to put that much pressure on my eye, 2) My joints (I'm now approaching my mid 40s!) just won't take the strain as much any more. So, if you are lifting, something that will give you more stability. For me, and in the sports that I do, cardio has always been the base, but you may have different goals/body type/preferences, etc...

11. sinnedk

sinnedk Stylish Dinosaur

@LA Guy yea so I'm a few years younger but one of the things that kept me from establishing the habit was injuries or pulling muscles in the initial habit forming time frame. This time around i am taking it easy. I made it 3x last week, 30-45 mins each and that was good. Once i get that down and solid i'll add more exercises. I want to be able to keep up with the kiddo's in my 40s when they play sports and etc. Of course i wanna be around a long time as well :)

12. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Distinguished Member

Converse chucks are still the go-to cheap lifting shoe for everything but olympic lifting.

And I hear good things about Adidas Powerlift 3s if you want a cheap olympic weightlifting shoe

13. the shah

the shah OG Yamamoto

I think fok knew what he was doing starting this specific convo here rather than CE ;-)

14. double00

double00 Distinguished Member

yep always stirring the pot.

15. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

*puts on Alex Jones hat* and timed perfectly with a glitchy experiment with changes in the ad service..