• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How so? What do you mean?

Horween refers to the product as #8 because it is eight applications of their dye to the tanned shell. They also have #4, #2, etc. Alden’s #8 is Horween’s #8 plus some purple dye and a glossy coating. Some people love it, I don’t. I also tend to post with absurdist hyperbole because that’s how I talk. But if you don’t know me, you might not get the “joke.”

If you want to see true #8, it is what Crockett and Jones uses for their Ralph Lauren Marlow collection. It is also easy to see on the Ashland Leather website with any of their brown shell products, such as this one: https://ashlandleather.com/collections/wallets/products/w-fox-cxl-brown

(Ashland Leather is a side project of the Horween factory manager and Horween is just a few steps from my house, so I have been inside and seen the behind the scenes production. I love that place.)

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@the shah #8 Alden falls under romance of the brand for me, yes, but I don’t think it’s entry level at least at list price.

@Patrick R i agree about Alden’s eggplant version of #8. It’s very much it’s own thing if you like it. I prefer burgundy shell from othe makers in the end.

And funny I feel like Alden boots have never really works for me. Not that comfortable and the tongue never stays put at least for me. If I were looking at an Indy boot I’d end HP with something from White’s I’m sure.

@gong if you want USA made you might look at White’s Otto derby. It’s GYW and on the casual side Bakers Shoes can help you with that.

Or have a look at Rancourt. Blake stitched I think. But they have some dressier and some more casual options and even shell MTO.

There are appreciation threads for both brands here on SF where you can ask questions.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just hoarding space

gong

Reaction score

I can’t speak to AE but as a reformed Alden buyer I’d say the value really isn’t there at list price. Maybe if you can find what you need on sale. And I’d you at really taken by the romance of the brand, fine.

Are you looking for made in the USA?

I think Meermin has taken the new spot for entry-level shoes, but they can take a little longer to break in. $175 a pair, I think. If you're in NYC, they have a new store.

The styles are a bit CM-y though. If you're looking for a SWD style derby, Tricker's Robert looks nice and it's more affordable than Alden or AE.

@the shah #8 Alden falls under romance of the brand for me, yes, but I don’t think it’s entry level at least at list price.

@Patrick R i agree about Alden’s eggplant version of #8. It’s very much it’s own thing if you like it. I prefer burgundy shell from othe makers in the end.

And funny I feel like Alden boots have never really works for me. Not that comfortable and the tongue never stays put at least for me. If I were looking at an Indy boot I’d end HP with something from White’s I’m sure.

@gong if you want USA made you might look at White’s Otto derby. It’s GYW and on the casual side Bakers Shoes can help you with that.

Or have a look at Rancourt. Blake stitched I think. But they have some dressier and some more casual options and even shell MTO.

There are appreciation threads for both brands here on SF where you can ask questions.

thank you for all of the suggestions. made in USA isn't that important really. yeah i was looking for a non-mc style shoe, the trickers robert looks right up my alley.

conceptionist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with a purchase on Gr@iled that I would like to get some input on:
  • I bought a pair of pants. The listing had stock photos of the pants from a webshop and his own pictures of the specific pants. The seller used the webshop's picture as the cover photo of the listing. His own pictures were not very good and did not show the full pant.
  • I receive the package which contain another pair of pants that are similar to those I wanted to buy. They are so similar that I guess the seller thought they were the same, and hence he used the pictures of the webshop although they were of a different style. Initially I also thought they were the same, but after trying them on I notice that they are different and do not fit me (pocket design, cut, and color is slightly different).
  • Hence I have two options:
  • 1) Try to resell them on Grailed. It seems unlikely that I will get my money back.
  • 2) Try to get the seller to accept a return.
  • I think I have a strong case for a return considering that he used pictures of a different style as the cover picture of the listing, it was impossible from his own pictures to confirm that they were different style to those on the cover picture, and although the seller wrote the name of the style that he actually sold, the webshop whose pictures he used does not list the style, making it impossible to check that the styles were indeed the same. I bought the pants since I had tried those I in fact wanted in a store and knew my size.
This is the first time I have this problem on Gr@iled and the seller has only positive reviews, so I feel a bit hesitant to try to return them. However, it does feel like a mistake on his part that justifies a return. I want this to go smoothly and cause him minimal harm as a seller or PayPal user, if thats relevant.

Whats your take?

ShoutOutsFoMyBo

Reaction score
shoot him a message and i’m pretty sure he’ll take them back. if he’s smart he’ll realize he made a mistake and not want the risk of a dispute or negative review.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't think it matters how close the pants are if they're not the pants you ordered. i'd think it would be reasonable request to unwind that deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads