1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jan 3, 2018.

1. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Distinguished Member

And wait, was someone trying to tell us that THIS Gucci stuff is going to look dated soon?

[​IMG]

On the other hand, give people 15 years and it will be the big retro grail score.

2. Benesyed

Benesyed Distinguished Member

I like the blue one

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

3. whorishconsumer

whorishconsumer Distinguished Member

I was just considering whether Demna’s play on the public with Vetements and Balenciaga wasn’t just to Ashton Kutcher the fashion industry but to show that nothing is ugly, it’s just shifting perceptions of ugliness (and beauty). The true cost of these brands is therefore not their ticket cost, but what it cost to get that message broadcasted: production and some unlucky buyers - all sacrifices to the cause.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

4. Spehsmonkey

Spehsmonkey Senior Member

Yes, but is anyone reading her stuff as a political manifesto? Might as well arrange deckchairs if we're stuck on the Titanic (is that ~*neoliberal pessimism*~?).

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Senior Member

I meant more in the sense that the super loud patterns etc... are something that you'll get tired of very quickly, like people who paint one wall of their living room yellow, or something to that extent.

6. FrankCowperwood

Sure. I understand and agree. And for people interested in wearing things like this, even if they still love it in two years they’re going to need to be wearing something different that’s of that future moment, not this stuff, which will be too clearly of a moment that’s past. They’ll have to still love it when it’s retro.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019

7. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Distinguished Member

whoa they are realllly catering for that Chinese market.

8. Melbush

Melbush Senior Member

China is magic. The "Superme" brand is all around the place.

9. gong

gong Senior Member

is alden/allen edmond still the go to for a reasonable, entry level derby? a plain toe blucher more specifically.

10. troika

troika Distinguished Member

I think Zegna is still the move for dads who want to look Italian at a Nordstrom (my dad) by buying a coat with a bunch of zippers or a nice pair of slacks.

The runway shows are a way to stay relevant and have GQ dress their models in Zegna's more interesting stuff so they get to keep their street cred(ish)

11. Todd Shelton

Todd Shelton Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

12. FrankCowperwood

I can’t speak to AE but as a reformed Alden buyer I’d say the value really isn’t there at list price. Maybe if you can find what you need on sale. And I’d you at really taken by the romance of the brand, fine.

Are you looking for made in the USA?

13. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

IMO the Alden Indy boot is nearly perfect for someone that wants a boot with that general vibe. I have a brown cromexcel pair that is a workhorse and an oiled reverse tobacco chamois pair that is absolute perfection. I also think Alden’s suede offerings are really nice for the price for which they can be found on sale. Beyond that, I don’t find Alden interesting.

14. the shah

the shah OG Yamamoto

Color #8

15. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

I think Meermin has taken the new spot for entry-level shoes, but they can take a little longer to break in. $175 a pair, I think. If you're in NYC, they have a new store.

The styles are a bit CM-y though. If you're looking for a SWD style derby, Tricker's Robert looks nice and it's more affordable than Alden or AE.