1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jan 3, 2018.

1. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Distinguished Member

I'm no fan of Kondo but, to be fair to her, she's isn't advocating getting rid of stuff for the sake of getting rid of stuff. She is really arguing that we should be more conscious of the stuff we have and consider how it makes us feel. If you really hare happy with your stuff, then that's totally fine. To my mind, the biggest problem with Kondo is exactly this obsession with individual relationships to things, and that she seems to imagine that stuff magically disappears once you get rid of it and it leaves your house. It's a critique of individual lifestyles within consumer capitalism, and doesn't really take into account the wider situation of consumer capitalism. Ultimately, both her approach and the GQ editorial are really both arguing about deckchair arrangement on the Titanic.

2. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Well-Known Member

RE: GQ

I used to buy the UK version now and then, and like people said, it seemed mostly ads and the fits/stylings were boring and geared towards the twentysomething aspirational male. "Fetch me monocle, I wanna look rich", etc... Also, of late it has been full of US political shit, always with a condescending "those wacky colonials" vibe, if I'd want to read "OMG Trump farted, breaking news!1!" stuff, I'd get a twitter account. Esquire UK suffers from the same, although to a lesser degree.

GAP men press is good since it's just runway pics, but my local book store stopped carrying it. Vogue Hommes is also ok.

3. double00

double00 Distinguished Member

yeah but the deck chairs are more efficient this way

charles p pierce has the shrillest writing voice i've tried reading his stuff from various points on the political spectrum not sure who his audience is?

4. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Distinguished Member

I don't know why, but I read that as the "trillest writing voice".
    So I looked the dude up.
    And I can believe this guy is pretty Trill IRL.

upload_2019-1-11_10-40-27.png

5. whorishconsumer

whorishconsumer Distinguished Member

GQ axed a good chunk of their staff last quarter - most of digital, print editorial too, I believe - so I think you can expect the magazine to go back to pretty pictures and filler.

Spark sad.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

@kiya - a man I've known personally now for 13 years, same as he's known Jack Dorsey, has gotten the Four Pins twitter account reinstated: https://www.gq.com/story/when-ur-most-swagless-homie-gets-their-account-back - I guess in no small part because @dieworkwear brought it to light. Nice job, guys.

Now, @kiya - could you please get Jack Dorsey into some leather jackets that better suit his style of dressing in separates? I could see him in some Nine Lives. And even if he decides to stick with that "artisanal" route, maybe get him to try on some CCP - the overlock looks just like a cool, western inspired jacket, and the scarstitch is basically a modern take on a 30s style jacket.

7. kiya

kiya Brand Representative Affiliate Vendor

Jack actually has a few leather jackets but they're all Rick Owens. He wears mostly Rick on days he doesn't go into the office and for days has to spend in the Square or Twitter building he's wearing just random basic non-branded stuff.

8. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

9. LA Guy

Yeah, but those Rick jackets look sorta weird with his non-Rick stuff. Get him into something that makes more sense as a "normal guy who dresses well" way. Frankly, he probably should have gotten that 3Sixteen Roughout jacket. That could be dressed Rick-ish, but could also look good with regular black jeans and a tee.

10. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

His full Rick outfit looks good here

11. noob in 89

noob in 89 Distinguished Member

12. LA Guy

Bro, the Engineered Garments Bedford is interesting, with some great details, but it's hardly an innovative design. And the lapels on that don't even look that bedford. Alex Mills is also carried at Union Made, Stag and Provisions, etc... the designer used to be at Steven Alan, so that there are a lot of workwear references is hardly surprising.

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Distinguished Member

14. Maxwellll

Maxwellll Senior Member

Ermenegildo Zegna runway shows are always pretty stacked but is anyone actually buying that stuff? Prices are on a next level and I never really see it outside of the odd magazine editorial.

Or does Zegna make so much money from the wool and suit game that the runway can be done just for fun?

15. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Distinguished Member

Nice pr piece masquerading as an article here on a “slow” brand. Looks like someone did a key word search before writing this up.

I also like how purportedly sustainable fashion is being pitched to people who “travel the world.” Pretty sure your first airplane trip sets your carbon footprint for the year, if not longer.

Oh well. Back to enjoying things.

https://apple.news/AMvbuWQ94TjK0he92Aesv-A