1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jan 3, 2018.

1. baltimoron

baltimoron Distinguished Member

If you have a group of people with differing levels of board game enthusiasm, I usually recommend Betrayal at House on the Hill. Some of the mechanics of the haunts can be a bit difficult to decipher, but the game in general is fairly easy to pick up.

For a quick card game, Love Letter is pretty fun.

2. whorishconsumer

whorishconsumer Distinguished Member

3. bencap

bencap Well-Known Member

The cynic in me thinks that the GQ article is just their way of reassuring us (and their advertisers) that consumption can be just as fulfilling as mindful tidiness (or whatever label the Marie Kondo approach falls under)

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

I think GQ has been publishing really good editorials in the last couple of years. Their GQ Style thing is consistently excellent, although I feel like some of that has been folded into the broader publication (esp since Will Welch is now the editor). A couple of years ago, or maybe last year, they published Sean Hotchkiss' very raw story about how he dealt with the death of his father, how that manifested into a clothing addiction, and how he's gotten into a more minimalist lifestyle. This recent article is the opposite, and tbh prob more in line with my feelings on the matter (Rachel Tashjian had something in Garage recently that was similar, but on packing, and it basically said "I love stuff").

I think they've been creating really good, honest content. There's always going to be those throwaway posts -- "Ten Pants You Need Right Now" -- but, like, even their rundown of fragrances a week or two ago was pretty good. And the more fleshed out editorials are really, really good.

Someone interviewed Jim Nelson just before he left GQ and he said that he tried to just create editorials he wanted to read. I know that's really cliche, but I think he was being earnest. My interests are a lot more aligned with Welch. I don't know if he's going to be able to get other people aboard with his very fashion forward view of men's clothing, but I do think the editorial process there is honest.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I personally am a lover of stuff. So grateful that I have an admittedly huge wardrobe that I just have fun with. Sometimes I get bored with a piece, put it on ice for a while, and come back to it. My Aero 30s halfbelt just came back to after a year of very little to no wear. That and a slim white mountaineering belt from maybe 2012. Perfect for my slightly Western, slightly rockabilly, mood right now.

Other things, like my two dinner jackets, I'll probably never wear, and if I did, I'd need my body shape from a decade ago, so quite unlikely. But I still love to have them for the memories.

6. bencap

bencap Well-Known Member

I've never given GQ an honest chance and always figured it was filler for advertising money. Maybe I'll actually check it out, based on that endorsement. I can certainly relate to the article, regardless of what I think the motivation behind it is.

I've always had more stuff than I "need" and it makes me feel good. I absolutely own more things than necessary (especially in clothing, music gear, books) and I have no intention of changing that. The idea of trimming down my belongings fills me with dread tbh.

7. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

I agree with the premise of the article. Actually, some people have misinterpreted the Contentedness thread I started as being a minimalist thread - it's really, really not. It's simply about enjoying the things that you have.

If you really like clothes - which is something that you'd think everyone should on a fashion forum - then I don't see a problem with having a relatively vast collection. The problem, I think, is that many people, both in the industry and consumers don't actually like clothes.

8. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Distinguished Member

^^ Certainly true, but there is also something to be said in slowing down ones clothes consumerism to appreciate the things one have. I could also imagine that getting rid of some "filler" stuff in ones wardrobe might increase enjoyment of whats left - the "gems".

9. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Yeah absolutely

10. jet

jet Persian Bro

I have a lot and it still fits in my closet.

If you're fok level hoarding status with bins of shit you know you'll never wear then you got issues son.

11. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

I told Visa today that I threw out their bill cause it doesn't spark joy.

12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Distinguished Member

I've been watching the show. I don't really like it. I'm like a hardcore minimalist right now. I've realized the past 3-4 years I've been doing what I always do just because.. well that's what I do and have done. But I'm well in my 30s now and realized the amount of things I enjoy doing and the things I like are growing smaller and smaller. So I'm just trying to maximize what I enjoy to the fullest and getting rid of everything else helps.

13. the shah

the shah OG Yamamoto

would be cool to use some community detection algorithms and finally identify the cliques , who been thumbing who. Graph algorithms rule :slayer:

The next scene:
    4F94D61C-E658-426A-9DF4-80BE32F3D325.jpeg

Damn that was so long ago but shirt was dope. I'm still a black blob of fabrics :alien:

14. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Distinguished Member

Is reading GQ gonna make me stop dressing like a hobo?!

All I remember about the mag is blazer/pants/shirt/boring shoe you should buy rn and a lot of paid advertorials. But this is many years ago.

15. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

Yeah, that article isn't from the normal GQ editorial staff, it's by my buddy Snake / Sam who ran a tinyletter email sort of blog about cool stuff he found on eBay. Like us, he likes things (cool things) and the stories behind them so I always looked forward to these.

https://tinyletter.com/SNAKE/archive

Wrote about stuff like this and this

I'm in that camp as well - far from a hoarder, but i like having things that don't get used every day or even every month. Like Fok, I recently dug up something I hadn't worn in a few years and have since worn it 3x a week for the past few weeks. I'm glad I kept it! My books don't feel like a burden, I like going back to them for reference or to lend them, and so on. Same goes for records, clothes, old video games, you know?

I still purge and get rid of stuff, but it's gotta be the stuff I've never worn more than a small handful of times. I guess that's my personal threshold for joy or whatever