• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to handle that loro **** in real life. It's not really that unique design wise so I need to see what the hype is

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my fiancee an LP overcoat, and damn, that is some fine wool. Very soft. And with storm system, it's very warm and waterproof. Designs will always middle of the road cuz they market to oligarchs basically.

Also, looks like Tom Ford got into the watch game? $10k for a tank style?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to handle that loro **** in real life. It's not really that unique design wise so I need to see what the hype is
Having handled a ton of it - it's good marketing. The materials are nice, but the prices are hard to justify for any reason. Me personally, I found the storm system particularly uninspired.

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fabric is nice but not out-of-this-world amazing(other than their vicuña, but that’s more the fiber itself.) The mark up is not. You can have a bespoke garment made with LP fabric and come out ahead with the pricier choices.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can get LP from a lot of other designers. It depends on the designer price and manufacturing in whether or not LP “allows” them to stitch the label in there so there’s a lot of lower priced labels that are using Loro fabrics but just aren’t given permission to mark it as such.
So obviously there’s a lot of variations in how nice the stuff is but if you buy handle an actual Loro Piana piece and you think the fabric is meh then you’re full of ****. Of course it’s marketing but that doesn’t mean it’s not super nice.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have found mainline loro piana is so so nice in terms of fabric (my overrated label would be cucinelli).

LP is probably somewhat undersold in terms of marketing (but not price ha)

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
kaufman mercantile? not the same as it once was though

Ah yes that was the place. They've long since sold the company and it's trash now.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My point is to consider seeking expertise in forums for things where there are clearly nutty hobbyist communities. My experience in forums and restaurant kitchens and knife shops, for example, has been that people on forums more often than not knew a lot more than the random head chef or bougie knife shop owner in the Mission. And they could give you much better advice about a starter kit. It’s really not that hard to get the “low end of the high end” on any of these spaces.
It would be a really interesting addition to Wirecutter recommendations if they included "what a couple of enthusiasts would recommend at two price points."

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
I feel like everyone who says they like Martha is participating in some sort of bizarre hoax. The place makes absolutely no sense.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel about The International.

Have you been to any of Martha's events? They pretty much give you free drinks and food.

Plus, you know, good staff, nice draft list, solid hoagies.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's pretty much exactly how I feel about The International.

Have you been to any of Martha's events? They pretty much give you free drinks and food.

Plus, you know, good staff, nice draft list, solid hoagies.

hmm i will admit three things off the bat: 1) i've never been to any events at martha; 2) i have a weird personal hangup about sandwiches for dinner (i feel like sandwiches don't really count as dinner*); 3) i've never eaten anything at the international.

that having been said, my experience with martha is that the beer list is good but the cocktails are disappointing and the staff is incompetent/indifferent. (maybe they just don't like me, iunno.) and i'm uninterested in a wine list that tries to represent local PA wineries. every time i go to the international, i get drunk on good, reasonably priced cocktails and/or spanish vermuts and/or beer. i only head up to the quieter bar and everything is pleasant there.

* - don't get me wrong. i like a hoagie, but for lunch. and if i want a hoagie, i'm just gonna go down to dan's butcher shop and have a real, legit old man hoagie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads