1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Uni/form LA. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, UNI/FORM LA, a brand focused on improving the clothing you wear everyday. Their elevated essentials are handmade in LA and built for daily wear. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Spehsmonkey

Spehsmonkey Senior Member

Sure, nothing ground-breaking, but really solid and reasonably priced options for overcoats, sportcoats, and pants that work as well in sleek contemporary fits as they do in EG/Kaptain Sunshine ones. I’d say don’t judge by the latest Instagram posts of each brand, as some of the best stuff was last AW season.

More specifically, based on photos (never handled this stuff IRL), I’m most impressed by the silhouettes, proportions, details, materials, finishing, construction methods, etc., of the outerwear and jackets. After that, I’d say most of the pants also tick all the boxes SF looks for nowadays: loose but not baggy fit, good looking materials, fun details (pleats, elastic waists, drawcords).

2. MaiLam

MaiLam Senior Member

Eastlogue too. They popped up in the Should I buy thread (Traveller jacket)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Joytropics

Joytropics Member

US wise, The most exciting young designer/brand is Mathew Williams/Alyx.

Ronnie Fieg is doing some neat stuff and clearly having a blast with Kith, per the streetwear conversation..

The less said about Virgil Abloh the better

(Though I don't blame LVMH for hiring him, I'm sure it makes sense as a cynical marketing ploy.)

4. fishshu

fishshu Active Member

Some of it is a little too minimalism for me but Solid Homme is high quality and all made in SK.

5. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Distinguished Member

Are you talking classic menswear or streetwear? For CM stuff, Margaret Howell always does regular clothes juuuuust quirky enough to be interesting. Also, have you been to the 45 store on Fillmore? It's pretty amazing stuff (if mind-bogglingly expensive).

6. Symphony

Symphony Active Member

I’d actually like to argue that Abasi Rosborough is a little more interesting than Matthew Williams, but of course it’s a little subjective. After hearing their interview in Blamo!, I couldn’t help but not be excited.

7. Joytropics

Joytropics Member

For me Abasi Rosborough fails the crucial test of “do you actually want to wear this.”

It’s all kind of neat fashion student sketchbook stuff, but I haven’t seen a single thing that makes me think “cool. I’ll pay $750 for this and wear it around town.”

I think the fact that HEARING them got you excited is telling. Clothing needs to get you excited when you SEE and FEEL it.

(And have you ever seen a fit pic on forums or Instagram of people wearing it? I haven’t)

Honestly the forums own @NickPollica desrves to be in the convo. I’ll take his work over most other young designers.

8. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Distinguished Member

I don't think it's fair to make a judgement on Abasi because you haven't seen people post in WAYWT. FWIW I have a noragi coat/robe, 2 of the desert shirts and some arc trousers and really enjoy all of it. And I want those wide leg Taos pants they did this season too.
    You won't see a lot of it simply because there isn't a lot of it. It's all deadstock fabrics and very limited numbers (often only 10 pieces worldwide) and it's still relatively new.
    Don't forget about the stuff that Bode, Dashiel Barhamann and Sies Marjan are doing either, it's all really good. And Devaux has become one of my favorite labels lately.
    Then you can look overseas at people like Kiko and Camiel to see some really dope things happening as well.

9. Spehsmonkey

Spehsmonkey Senior Member

I’m referring to SWD really. CM is too rules-driven for the stuff these brands are making. I’d say a lot of their stuff feels like Margaret Howell, but way cheaper. I’ll eventually take the plunge and figure out how to buy from Korea and will report back. I have my eye on at least 3-4 things.

10. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Well-Known Member

Really digging Chad Prom's pleated pants with elastic. Super reasonable price too.

11. Joytropics

Joytropics Member

@OccultaVexillum i'm happy to reconsider and look at more of their stuff.

Also i appreciate the list of new designers to check out!

PS did i see on the Visvim thread that you wear a Visvim 12? want a sweet deal on a pair of 7 holes?

12. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi

Martin Margiela releases rare public statement to accept award

https://hypebeast.com/2018/10/martin-margiela-belgian-fashion-awards-designer-letter-statement

“I am very touched and indeed honoured to receive this award, here in my native country.

Especially because I stepped down from fashion already ten years ago.

This evening, my memory goes back to 1983 when I received, here in Brussels, my very first recognition: the second prize of the ‘Golden Spindle’ contest, handed to me by the then only foreign jury member, Jean Paul Gaultier.

Many say that fashion has a short memory as it is obsessed by actuality and novelty. But some recent exhibitions about my work exemplified the opposite. Again, my homeland Belgium was the first to honour my work at the MOMU Antwerp, and then my adoptive city Paris followed with two more, at Palais Galliera and Musée des Arts Décoratifs.

A beautiful tribute to a period of hard work and dedication starting at early age and lasting for more than 30 years, until 2008 – the very year I felt that I could not cope any more with the worldwide increasing pressure and the overgrowing demands of trade. I also regretted the overdose of information carried by social media, destroying the ‘thrill of wait’ and cancelling every effect of surprise, so fundamental for me.

But today, I am happy to notice again a growing interest for creativity in fashion, by some upcoming designers.

This evening, I feel proud and fulfilled and I wish to thank wholeheartedly all of you for your precious support back then and today’s recognition.”

13. UserName84

UserName84 Senior Member

I wonder if he would ever come back to fashion in some sort of non-traditional role

14. double00

double00 Distinguished Member

Margiela is absolutely the best. A true designer and - imo - really the bridge between 20th and 21st century fashion.

15. Symphony

Symphony Active Member

Let me correct myself.

Now, I meant to say that hearing them speak about their thought processes and understanding their motivation behind making their clothing was exciting to hear. I unfortunately don’t see much Abasi Rosborough out in the wild, however a lot of the stuff that I have seen in runway collections seems fantastic.

I think Abdul stated that their goal is to “make clothes for the current”, which i think is pretty neat to not have to pull from any specific eras of time for motivation, rather just being inspired based on the present.

It’s definitely a good listen.

I wish I owned some Abasi Rosborough!

And I definitely agree with you. NYFW is actually interesting again because new designers are now in the mix giving other regions a run for their money.