• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Céline customers must be ecstatic right now, where will they go?

Loewe

I don't much care for cotton garments but some select stuff is worth keeping around: moleskin and corduroy outerwear and trousers, seersucker shirts, non-rubberized rainwear (ventile, gabardine), jeans, heather grey sweatpants . Everything else can go.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This take has been repeated to death, but it's the only good one on the whole Celine thing

Also, it's crazy to think how much influence Phoebe Philo had on menswear. The Stan Smiths, Vans slip-ons, and to the degree they meant anything, the furry Gucci mules. The return of slides and Birkenstocks. Pajama shirts used as normal shirts. Then the looser trousers and oversized coats. The self-belted pants (don't know if that's really a Phoebe Philo thing, but she had them in her collections). And just the general loosening of silhouettes, which Philo was doing before Vetements and Raf Simons.

Some of Lemaire's stuff also feels influenced by her work, like those weirdly cut slip-ons that look like Celine's bag-wrap slippers.

a202bc17f093e4f15609fb1ac25e0740.jpg
jgogs3vksnmumcuqw2p2.jpg
533276-800w.jpg
Celine-pre-fall-2017-lookbook-the-impression-18.jpg
20aq06771.01bc.42_1.jpg
943c9a84096996b01ef46b8f15023373.jpg
1bd0b8c5cdec0e2b0d06e53953fe3ea2.png
00230big.jpg

Last edited:

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, this is super sad. If I was a smaller size theres a lot of Céline I would have worn.
At the same time it’s exactly what I would have expected from Hedi and I can’t imagine there’s anybody out there who was thinking Céline would be different.

Tabooku

Reaction score
They have different overall aesthetics, but I can see Hussein Chalayan appealing to Phoebe fans (although part of her appeal was that the clothes were designed by a woman). Peter Do is a young designer who used to work under Phoebe and is influenced by her, I really like what he does and would quite like to get his rhodium necklace or painted tee.
kim_1558.jpg kim_1382.jpg
jutyr.PNG kutjyrbfv.PNG yugnrb.PNG

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’d be all about wool if I lived in a place that had a proper winter but living in Florida my favorite fabric is cotton/linen. Breathes and not too wrinkly. Need to try hemp though.

What’s the difference between hemp and linen

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s the difference between hemp and linen

I don’t know. Never had hemp. It looks like linen online but I think I’ve heard people on here say it feels/wears differently.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There’s plenty of wools that are appropriate for summer. Maybe not 30°C+ but cotton sucks in that kind of temp anyway.
The summers in NY are humid even when it doesn’t get really hot and I’d still prefer to wear a tropical wool over cotton

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just don’t like denim in general. It’s the same vibe as sweatpants to me.
I completely understand why people like it but it’s not for me, I have off-white denim that I wear and a pair of orslow 105’s that I wear maybe 5-6 times a year.
I bought some Chimala thinking that maybe if they were an interesting cut and a good wash that I would enjoy it more, but I just didn’t (somebody buy them from me please!).

In terms of wools though, a light wool suiting or tropical wool (cool wool) is good for summer, wool seersucker, even some merino, vicuna and wool gab is really good in spring and cooler summer. It’s not all flannel and thick knits and alpaca.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
And just the general loosening of silhouettes, which Philo was doing before Vetements and Raf Simons.

Not sure this is a fair assessment, you can always find an X who was doing it before Y. OG Raf was quite loose before he lost his mind in the mid 2000s.

There’s plenty of wools that are appropriate for summer. Maybe not 30°C+ but cotton sucks in that kind of temp anyway.
The summers in NY are humid even when it doesn’t get really hot and I’d still prefer to wear a tropical wool over cotton

I haven't worn denim in a decade, wool all day erryday different weights for different weather

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can find hemp in the US but i think maybe still some kind of illegal? probably worth a peek through the old info webs

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still like cotton. My cotton blends Schneider trousers are my most worn trousers

I also rediscovered a love for polyester.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not sure this is a fair assessment, you can always find an X who was doing it before Y. OG Raf was quite loose before he lost his mind in the mid 2000s.

That's fair, but the current oversized trend seemed to have kicked off with that Raf collection that had oversized sweaters and parkas, and Demna's oversized stuff at Vetements. And the mood that made that all possible, or at least exciting to people who were looking for something new, seems to be rooted in womenswear. People have been talking about the death of the slim fit trend forever, but now it really seems like its on its way out.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great, now I’m remembering all the great garments I’ve passed over that were made of lightweight wool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads