• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is so accurate to the way I live my life my man, bang on the money.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be receiving this goat suede jacket in a few weeks and would like to know how to make this jacket really work. Any recommendations on what to wear it with?
I'm thinking dark jeans, brown boots and some sort of neutral t shirt or OCBD?
IMG_5199.JPG

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No link, but do choose a few choice quotes for us, please.

Narrative is everything.
Narrative is everything and very human. Does not mean it is factually correct.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah.........the babylonian myth, the Sumerian Myth AND the Genesis Flood account are ALL one Story told by different people who had a COMMON ancestor. NOAH.

I am not trying to convince you, but to simply give you another perspective, or at least new information to consider in forming your conclusions.
I am aware of Professor Erhman's writings. He does make some good points but overall I think he has a wrong understanding. the idea of applying 20th/ 21st century scrutiny to ancient documents that were never written by our modern standards is ridiculous at worst and foolish at best
My fault for posting an anti-religious screed. What could go wrong?

The last Ice Age ended around 10k years ago and sea levels rose rather rapidly over 400 feet globally. Everyone has a flood myth. Change of that magnitude resonated across humanity and cultures on different continents had flood myths. There was no single Noah, just myths to explain why humans and animals survived. Gilgamesh and the Sumerian flood myth pre-date the Hebrew Bible by a millenium The plot was lifted almost scene-for-scene. The ancient world's equivalent of turning the Seven Samurai into the Magnificient Seven into A Bug's Life. Fok is correct and narrative does matter.

Your last sentence is anti-intellectual and completely ridiculous. Applying modern standards (21st century scrutiny? Absurd. How about research, reasoning, and the scientific method) to ancient writing allows us to see Bronze Age mysticism for what it is...a mewling, crying humanity trying to understand its place in the Universe with each culture invoking the divine to show how unique they were. So, by your logic, we should take ancient "miracles" seriously when they were written by people at a time when your teeth could kill you and no one even understood evolution, gravity, germs, etc?

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought of Nimrod as this guy:

The ultimate Sentinel who was able to defeat Juggernaut, and it took Rogue borrowing all of the X-Men's powers to defeat it.

I wonder if my mom threw out all my comics. I always loved John Romita Jr.s drawings that were more like blocked out sketches of action than anything else.
The Gospel of Stan Lee! Powerful stuff as defeating Juggernaut is no easy feat. Harder than parting seas, deploying frog plagues, turning a staff into a snake and such...

Frankly, I was a DC guy as a kid but now their movies are awful beyond measure.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
Whoa whoa whoa sparkling water is not so cut and dry. Are we talking mineral water? Carbonated filtered water? What size bubbles?

IMO size of the bubbles is probably most important, which is why SP is god-tier and super refreshing and why Perrier (for example) is hot garbage.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoa whoa whoa sparkling water is not so cut and dry. Are we talking mineral water? Carbonated filtered water? What size bubbles?

IMO size of the bubbles is probably most important, which is why SP is god-tier and super refreshing and why Perrier is hot garbage.

San Pellegrino is the absolute stuff.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still don’t own a pair of grey flannels.
Pretty universal. I have a mid-weight pair from Barneys and a heavy-weight pair from Black Fleece. Deploy accordng to the weather.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are my arms getting shorter or is there a trend towards longer sleeves?

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always feel kind of sad when I try to wear grey trousers. I don’t know why.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads