• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
I think that this is a great idea. I just don't think that it's a great gift idea for someone you don't know well. In that case, something simple from a prestigious but not ostentatious brand seems like the best choice.

Yeah, this makes a ton of sense. I was originally thinking something like a Smythson or whatever, but you're right that I should just go to a place like Barneys or Saks (lol) to get it so if she doesn't like it she can return or exchange it and get something she does like. Thank you everyone!

The Chester Mox stuff is really nice though, I'll keep my eye on those for future reference

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this makes a ton of sense. I was originally thinking something like a Smythson or whatever, but you're right that I should just go to a place like Barneys or Saks (lol) to get it so if she doesn't like it she can return or exchange it and get something she does like. Thank you everyone!

The Chester Mox stuff is really nice though, I'll keep my eye on those for future reference
Of the two, I would choose Barney's, which still has the image of being an upscale boutique, while Saks now has the image of an upscale Macy's.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@sinnedk can't speak for any actual luggage, but I love my computer bag. It's held up really well over the last few years, and the all-black version takes it out of "I shop at Orvis" territory.

looking for something i can use for flights and short trips so thanks

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whats a good (non leather) travel bag, is filson the company most folks opt for?

Probably the only thing I can stomach from Gustin, but their duffle is pretty nice for what it is. I have the black version.

hayaoyamaneko

Reaction score
Advice on pulling off a brown odd jacket?

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2017%2F01%2Fe-tautz-2017-fall-winter-collection-1.jpg

I picked up this brown micro houndstooth blazer from E. Tautz last season but (foolishly?) didn't pick up the pants because I thought a brown suit would not get much wear and be a bit too intense for me (who never wears suits).

But now I'm having doubts about what to wear with the jacket. Blue pants seem pedestrian, grey could work but it would need to be a very precise shade (on the charcoal end of the spectrum imo) - black seems to work the best so far, styled with a beige/taupe/ochre-ish shirt as in the photo, though it also seems very intense/fashion forward. I'm also kind of into how it looks with a dark blue/black shirt (I know this wouldn't fly in CM) but have no idea what to do with the bottoms in that case.

As far as styling goes, I'm going for the oversized/relaxed thing, so I'm hoping that affords a bit of leniency with regards to the color combos, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Advice on pulling off a brown odd jacket?

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2017%2F01%2Fe-tautz-2017-fall-winter-collection-1.jpg

I picked up this blazer from E. Tautz last season but (foolishly?) didn't pick up the pants because I thought a brown suit would not get much wear and be a bit too intense for me (who never wears suits).

But now I'm having doubts about what to wear with the jacket. Blue pants seem pedestrian, grey could work but it would need to be a very precise shade (on the charcoal end of the spectrum imo) - black seems to work the best so far, styled with a beige/taupe/ochre-ish shirt as in the photo, though it also seems very intense/fashion forward. I'm also kind of into how it looks with a dark blue/black shirt (I know this wouldn't fly in CM) but have no idea what to do with the bottoms in that case.

As far as styling goes, I'm going for the oversized/relaxed thing, so I'm hoping that affords a bit of leniency with regards to the color combos, if that makes sense.

Dark brown jacket + mid-gray trousers would be a pretty easy combo. If you do charcoal, there may not be enough contrast between the two pieces to make them look distinct. But hard to say unless you just try out the combo.

Or you could try tan trousers. Depending on you style it, maybe black could also work.

Depending on the jacket material though, it may be hard to wear as a standalone sport coat. Some suits are made with a very smooth worsted wool, which makes the jackets hard to wear on the own. They look a bit suit-y. Helps to have some texture in the jacket.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like off-white chinos or blue jeans with brown sport coats. Not sure if those would work with that particular Tautz design though.

hayaoyamaneko

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys.

You can see it a little better here (at the back):

0c7ce9018e99d997828ab7419de00942.jpg

It's got a little texture to it, but I guess part of the problem is that from a distance it appears as solid brown. I'm hoping the relaxed fit + single button help it stand alone as an odd jacket as opposed to a mismatched suit jacket.

I feel like off-white/tan trousers would be better suited to a blazer of a different style/weight. Don't own any trousers in those colors right now though, so will have to find the right opportunity before I could try that color combo anyway.

I'm hoping black or mid-grey will work as I do really like the jacket. But in the future I should probably be more mindful and always buy the matching pants (or if budget doesn't allow - don't buy the jacket!)

Last edited:

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sinnedk I'm late to the party again, but I've moved to tech stuff for all my bags. Right now I rotate three:
  • Mission Workshop Sanction for day trips (it's also my daily work bag)
  • Aer Travel Pack for anything overnight (it's good enough that these days I fly with just the one bag most of the time, don't even need a separate brief / hand carry)
  • Mission Workshop Rhake when I want a bit more organization than the Travel Pack (which is plenty fine in that department), or just a bit more toughness. The Rhake sometimes gets brought out for non-travel days where I've got more going on, too. And it looks awesome.
MW's stuff is expensive, but it's absolutely worth it for me. They've substantially improved how I travel and my day to day just because I don't have to worry at all about my stuff anymore. I've sold / am selling all my less technical bags because as much as I like how they look, they just can't compare in terms of function. At least in my experience.

I've heard good things about their Radian too, but boy oh boy is it pricey and for me the Aer Travel Pack is sufficient for schlepping around airports and hotels.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys.

You can see it a little better here (at the back):

0c7ce9018e99d997828ab7419de00942.jpg

It's got a little texture to it, but I guess part of the problem is that from a distance it appears as solid brown. I'm hoping the relaxed fit + single button help it stand alone as an odd jacket as opposed to a mismatched suit jacket.

I feel like off-white/tan trousers would be better suited to a blazer of a different style/weight. Don't own any trousers in those colors right now though, so will have to find the right opportunity before I could try that color combo anyway.

I'm hoping black or mid-grey will work as I do really like the jacket. But in the future I should probably be more mindful and always buy the matching pants (or if budget doesn't allow - don't buy the jacket!)
Honestly, I think that that may be one of those jackets that look best as a part of a suit, since the silhouette is so distinctive. Maybe you can look for the matching pants? That seems like the obvious solution.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you know her well enough to know whether she’s a Cayse Pollard type? If so, the benefit of CM is the potential for no branding. And hand stitching.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads