• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@emptym 522s are the best (picked up two based on your rec few years ago), I should look into eBay...thanks for the tip!

emptym

Reaction score
Excellent. I wish they'd bring them back. One neat thing about them is that they came in many fabrics, colors, and washes. I have a few pairs now: pre-faded black, pre-faded gray, Cone Mill White Oak raw selvedge, and overdyed indigo. Occasionally, I still look for light blue. But the Cone ones are getting there.

fistinyoface

Reaction score
Any cool recommendations for a jump/boiler suit? I've been tempted by a few on etsy.

If anyone has a source for the Jan-Jan Van Essche jumpsuit I just ******* missed buying at the last second, that would be highly appreciated. I would think you're a pretty cool guy.

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few months ago, I texted the instagram it mentions to LA Guy, known vest-wearer, saying "Sorry for your vests." He didn't reply.

Interestingly, the trend started near LA Guy at the Sun Valley conference, at least acc. my sister, who's attended for several years. I don't know if that's true, but if you google image "Sun Valley conference" almost everyone will be wearing a vest. This couple yrs old article talks about vests being popular with Silicon Valley VCs, but half the pics are of Sun Valley people.

So it looks like the trend went from Sun Valley to Silicon Valley to NYC. But the question is, how did it get to Sun Valley? And the answer is LA Guy, who lives in Moscow. So it's obviously a Russian plot to subvert our tech and banking systems. And like other exposed Russian assets, LA Guy's not talking.

Levis 522 has a very high rise. They aren't being made anymore, but you can find them on eBay or occasionally an online store.

It has always been the uniform of the trading floor guys on Wall St (as far as I can remember, 20 years ago). They liked to rub into the guys on the other side of the wall (the investment bankers) the fact that they made a ton of money and could wear whatever they want (while bankers still had to wear suits).

Over time, as business casual reached the banking side, senior bankers started wearing a fleece vest on fridays, and then more often. First, only indoors, then for their lunch run.

Like everything else in banking, that went down the hierarchy over time and eventually, young analysts and associates could also look like big shots (by, uh, wearing a cheap fleece...)

I suspect it’s the same mentality for tech people at that time: signifying their freedom from business dress (ironically by adopting another codified uniform).

badeggcat

Reaction score
Koreans on IG were also doing the fleese vest thing (in particular Patagonia Retro X) about 3-4 years back. IG no longer shows me those, so maybe they have moved on from it.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ That was a Japanese street-wear look (like combined with heritage denim stuff) 10 + years ago. I tried to copy it myself at that time, but never really got into the look (perhaps because I got a red vest..).

emptym

Reaction score
It has always been the uniform of the trading floor guys on Wall St (as far as I can remember, 20 years ago). They liked to rub into the guys on the other side of the wall (the investment bankers) the fact that they made a ton of money and could wear whatever they want (while bankers still had to wear suits).

Over time, as business casual reached the banking side, senior bankers started wearing a fleece vest on fridays, and then more often. First, only indoors, then for their lunch run.

Like everything else in banking, that went down the hierarchy over time and eventually, young analysts and associates could also look like big shots (by, uh, wearing a cheap fleece...)

I suspect it’s the same mentality for tech people at that time: signifying their freedom from business dress (ironically by adopting another codified uniform).
Well said. My brother, who's worked for Citi the past 20 yrs, told me the same thing. But our sister's older so we deferred to her.

Actually, the SV conference has been on for about 35 years, so she may be right. But it's compatible w/ your theory too, since it'd have been the senior guys who'd have gone to SV. And the tickle down you outline seems very likely to me.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel like a dork wearing a vest, but damn are they comfortable. A Patagonia retro vest would be right at home in my wardrobe, but I've got a Carhartt fake sherpa lined vest that is my go to. The front pocket insides are sherpa and it's just so cozy to deadweight my hands inside those and walk around thinking if I should diversify my 401k more.

v33211.png

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whelp, I’d thought I’d commit to a vintage look this summer, as I do every year, and got a few pairs of the old double-pleated shorts. Turns out they still just make you look fat.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Whelp, I’d thought I’d commit to a vintage look this summer, as I do every year, and got a few pairs of the old double-pleated shorts. Turns out they still just make you look fat.

Same with super duper wide pants tbh

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads