STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jan 3, 2018.

1. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

Speaking of Jil the other day I was thinking about the Jil flower shirt. I think @jet had it at one point and was the only fit I’ve ever seen him post with

Shirt in question

[​IMG]

2. colabear

colabear Distinguished Member

I thought Jet is a Persian bro

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Ah dammit. I thought that I was done shopping for a bit, but then I see that Hender Scheme now has a Chuck-alike:
    [​IMG]
    Which was my go to shoe for forever. What to do, what to do? I wonder if they will have it in black and white(natural), which was my go to colorway.

4. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Stylish Dinosaur

Dries watercolor shirt makes me sad :( The one I got definitely has a much grosser collar than the pictures showed.

5. gettoasty

gettoasty Stylish Dinosaur

@cyc wid it how bad is the collar? Try RaveFabric Care in AZ.

6. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

I haven't been in years but I remember really liking Lone Star Tacos last time I was out there.

I think there was some secret meeting of casual-wear brands that this was the summer of floral / Hawaiian print shirts. They seem to be damn near ubiquitous right now (see also: long shirts a couple of FWs ago).

7. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Distinguished Member

8. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Is there an official or unofficial London thread? I'll be there in early August and could use some food / drink / sightseeing recommendations.

I'm spending all my money on a tattoo, so I'm mostly looking for budget options. :hide:

Recommendations thus far include the Imperial War Museum, the British Museum, and eating a pasty at the train station. I'm interested in any other denimhead-type stuff like Clutch Cafe even if I'm only going there to gawk.

9. whorishconsumer

whorishconsumer Senior Member

What's your tattoo going to be?

10. whorishconsumer

whorishconsumer Senior Member

I almost bought the Air Presto variation, because it was on sale and at one point that was my grail. But then I remembered they're wholly impractical and don't look great with age.

Also, they're sized for concubines (was that racist).

11. King Calder

King Calder Senior Member

@notwithit the Victoria and Albert museum is one of my personal favorite museums in the world, and the free tours never fail to impress. Not sure about the more streetwear side of London boutiques since its been a while but Jermyn st is one full of classic makers that's worth walking down.

12. King Calder

King Calder Senior Member

Good talk Fok. I didn't really know much about the NYC charter school thing so I read up on it a bit. I can understand why Carranza's statements were so inflammatory, and clearly the inequities of NYC won't be solved by getting rid of a single test, but i gotta say though, I felt deeply embarrassed to see asian activists protesting a proposal to *integrate schools* with signs quoting MLK and saying "end racism" smh. What a time to be alive.

I didn't know about the SHSAT and starting googling around for more info on it. It hasn't been very robustly studied as far as I can tell, but I immediately found a paper that suggested the test isn't a particularly rigorous test. Apparently a significant plurality of students are admitted with scores that are statistically insignificant from those just below the cutoff line...anywhere from a third to half of students admitted to these schools score less than 20 points above the cutoff, which is within the standard error of measurement of the test. I don't know what the way forward here is but obviously this test should have been more carefully scrutinized before being made the sole admission criteria to these sxhools. Similar to how the SAT's predictive power is enhanced when considered alongside GPA, the SHSAT is substantially more robust when considered with achievement test results and middle school GPA, but it is weakest in predicting freshman gpa *at the cutoff point for elite school admission*. THAT SEEMS LIKE A BIG PROBLEM FOR THE SOLE CRITERIA OF ADMISSION.

I dunno. My tentative, half-baked, 30 mins opinion would be that perhaps moving away from 100% reliance on the SHSAT is bad for asians, but it also seems to be a pretty shitty and unfair test that cannot meaningfully differentiate those who get accepted and rejected from the school that, at the very least, deserves careful scrutiny in its design. In that case, it might be more fair to students overall to consider additional, or altogether different, criteria. At the very least, concerns that moving away from the SHSAT would inevitably worsen the quality of the student body seem unfounded, if the SHSAT is actually *not the best predictor of academic talent.

Edit: dropping in this quote from one of the papers I've read that puts it nicely, and that really should be the focal point of admissions at NYC public schools. I find it almost non-debatable.

Capture.JPG

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

13. Benesyed

Benesyed Distinguished Member

Let's assume worst case scenario that racial disparity can be explained by a genetic inequity of skill. That the average iq of one race is statistically significantly different than another.

Even given thit possible scenario, I would still maintain that is socially better to have integrated society with even the vilified affirmative action because it creates a more cohesive society than ghetto-fication that accentuates potential differences and exaggerates them.

As far as endowments go that enable the poor to be dragged along the righ. I'm skeptical. That seems to be the after effects of a system that allowed mass inequity to exist, and then try to pay a kind of hush money after the fact.

14. Slin

Slin Senior Member

@notwithit You have to eat at Bao, Babaji Pide too.

15. Benesyed

Benesyed Distinguished Member

And with all that ranting aside, I actually like the new old brioni and want to own a few pieces like that travel suit. The cognitive dissonance continues