• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welp that explains JC Penny going bankrupt
Making Nick Wooster creative director about a decade ago did not help matters. Wow, that’s been over a decade now…

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alternative apparel, or you want to go a bit upmarket, maybe.... Reigning Champ?
or Velvet by Graham and Spencer?
Thanks!

AA may be good starter, not sure I can pull off a henley.

Reigning Champ is nice but too sport/tech? than what I'm thinking.

Not familiar with Velvet but looks nice/different.

I was thinking of Merz B or the like. MBS fits slim though last I checked.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
re: Henleys maybe think about a softer blend than all cotton , I like them and have a few but the cotton ones don't get worn I find blends like 50/50 or tri-blend to be a better option . I don't wear the waffle kind or thermal kind mine are just jersey .

my fave henley is actually Versace of all things it is very thin and wears cold I think it might be a viscose blend . but I def prefer them to be on the lightweight side , ymmv

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have heavyweight ones from Japanese brands and man do I burn up in them. The one I have from RRL has some beatiful mop buttons.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

AA may be good starter, not sure I can pull off a henley.

Reigning Champ is nice but too sport/tech? than what I'm thinking.

Not familiar with Velvet but looks nice/different.

I was thinking of Merz B or the like. MBS fits slim though last I checked.
The alternative apparel eco-blend ones are very light, iirc they are made of 4 ounce material, which is very light indeed. I find that brands like James Perse and velvet, known more for womenswear, often have lighter weight base layers available.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Olde homesteader henleys are pretty nice. They're not loopwheeled, but the cotton has a slight slub/open weave to it that wears well. Merz henleys are nice, but even though they're loopwheeled the fabric is just okay compared to japanese loopwheeled garments.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Any shops worth visiting in Vienna? Not sure I'm into Mitteleuropa enough to get some custom Vass...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Olde homesteader henleys are pretty nice. They're not loopwheeled, but the cotton has a slight slub/open weave to it that wears well. Merz henleys are nice, but even though they're loopwheeled the fabric is just okay compared to japanese loopwheeled garments.
I don’t know any loopwheeled hecklers that would be considered lightweight though? Am I just missing out here?

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t know any loopwheeled hecklers that would be considered lightweight though? Am I just missing out here?
I have a Merz 1950 tee that’s fairly light at like 5oz. Merz fabric is just not that impressive or has the character of a Japanese loopwheel fabric. The Mr Freedom Stanley tees are a great light weight option but not loopwheeled. The fabric is really nice however and holds up well over multiple washings.

Edit: For henleys, I dont think I’ve ran across a lightweight version.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Iskander

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Fortela? It looks nice, if a bit expensive. Hardly any North American stockists. Their webstore has no measurement and customer service seems to be nonexistent so not really going to take a chance on anything while I'm living in The States. Would love to visit the boutique next time I go back to Europe though.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Merz 1950 tee that’s fairly light at like 5oz. Merz fabric is just not that impressive or has the character of a Japanese loopwheel fabric. The Mr Freedom Stanley tees are a great light weight option but not loopwheeled. The fabric is really nice however and holds up well over multiple washings.

Edit: For henleys, I dont think I’ve ran across a lightweight version.
Any good recs for Henley medium to light weight? Something with texture but loose ie not a thermal. Open waffle texture perhaps. Sort of like a man alternative to the band collar shirt. Short or long sleeve doesn’t matter.
The Mesh Henley from Hello Sunflower is pretty nice. I have a T-shirt in the same fabric and it is nice.

https://us.hellosunflower.com/products/mesh-henley-ls-off-white

Mesh_Henley_LS-010-1_1500x.jpg

TBH after trying a couple of loopwheel tees and high quality stuff I usually actually prefer ****** $10 t-shirts from wherever because I like the lighter cotton that kinda wears in quickly.

But I do like these mesh ones from hello sunflower.

Factors also do some cool mesh t-shirts.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CANNONTIMBO