• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

ppk

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of starting with UPS and then having USPS finish the shipping process. How does that even work?
I'm not an expert, but I think eBay's shipping program uses multiple shippers. I bought a sweater from the UK and it started off with Royal Post and they declared that it was delivered - which meant that they delivered it to eBay's facility in the UK. Then a week later, USPS delivered it to me.

Friend

Reaction score
I bought a jacket from Namu Shop and they shipped with UPS who then has USPS deliver. There was no delivery though it was marked delivered a couple days ago now.

I inquired with Namu Shop and got this kind of unbelievable response? Can someone save me some time trying to figure out what to do? UPS online claims doesn’t work because they sent it to USPS. Jacket was 350 ish. I suppose I go to USPS? Or credit card? Is Namu’s response standard? I would think if they want to keep customer’s they offer to make it right?

Thanks so much for your order and for reaching out! I'm so sorry to hear about the package - the best way forward would be to reach out to your local USPS (we recommend visiting in person) for an inquiry to your usual route driver. Unfortunately once proof of delivery is provided by the carrier, and the signature option was not selected, we cannot be held responsible for the package. If the package is still lost by the end of the week, we can help start a claim process for up to $200 that is covered by our backend platform, Shopify.

Please keep us posted, and thanks so much for your support.

That sucks. I had a similar, though much lower dollar-value, experience earlier this year with a new online-only home goods/apothecary brand that had a $40 box of product marked as delivered which clearly never was. Their response was a similar "well it's your problem once it leaves our warehouse!" and I had to prod them to even get the required proof of shipping to upload with the insurance claim. USPS is, of course, wildly overloaded, and took months to get back and ultimately their response was "well, it says delivered in our records so as far as we know it's delivered, claim closed."

I'd recommend just reviewing the rules around the chargeback option your credit card provides so you know exactly when your deadline for submitting a chargeback would be and you can gather any paper trail needed. It doesn't hurt to try the softer options before then, but I wouldn't hesitate to go that route if Namu isn't able to offer a satisfactory resolution, personally.

Macryu

Reaction score
I've had a similar experience where a package was said to be delivered by USPS but clearly was not. I went to the local post office and they were able to track down where it was actually delivered. Ultimately, I was able to retrieve the package. I'd try that before a chargeback, etc.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That route protection thing that retailers try to add on checkout is pure BS. Ultimately, it is up to the retailer to get you the product and if it gets lost in transit they don't get to say too bad for you, you didn't pay for insurance. For that matter, if something is lost in transit, the shipper is the one that has to deal with any insurance claims. And if the retailer says sorry, it's only insured for $100, that's what charge-backs are for.

except that it was delivered per the shipping service

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go check out the ebay thrifting thread...as a seller on ebay, I would tell you the same thing. If it's showing up in tracking as having been delivered, then you'd need to work with UPS/ USPS to find your package.

Obviously, a seller (or retailer) does every practical thing to get a package to you safely and on time, but they can't *guarantee* that, too many variables after it leaves them. After it leaves the seller, everyone's operating in an implied contract of understanding that a package will be sent to you and not lost, stolen, damaged, etc. by the carrier. Not to mention, it protects the seller from fake claims of a package not being delivered (not the case here).

Clearly, it sucks. in this case, UPS and USPS will point the finger at each other too. I would like to think that Namu would make a good faith effort to do right by you, but who knows. You also have the nuclear option of a chargeback...Good luck.
I don’t mind not getting the package because it got lost, mistakes happen. What is irking me is the response and telling me what I should have done and I’m SOL. That option for signature confirmation is hidden in Namus checkout process And I did not know beforehand about this $200 limit. If they aren’t going to insure the package just tell me that and ask me to pay what like an extra 5 or 10 for insurance? If I’m selling stuff I just insure it. What if this were a more expensive coat? I just breezed through the checkout process with no idea that this would be the result.

Anyways thanks for the input. USPS is looking for it.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
except that it was delivered per the shipping service
Agree in this case he's kind of f'd or at the mercy of the retailer.

My rant was more directed towards the retailer that offer route protection which you have to explicitly deselect.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of starting with UPS and then having USPS finish the shipping process. How does that even work?

i think it's typically a last-mile arrangement , i seem to recall tracking showing a handoff on past deliveries .

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
One advantage of UPS Surepost is they deliver on the weekend.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also this isn’t a random ebay interaction, even though I’m still on the buyers side there. I’ve bought many times from Namu.

in fairness , i'm not really sure that a shipper could elevate a claim of false delivery from their end .

and if they make you whole out-of-pocket ( as in , they refund you ) you have no incentive to pursue that claim of nondelivery , which would be the only way that they could be made whole from the wayward package , and which represents their stake in the deal . that's why i as a seller insure past say ~250 . so i can refund my buyer if need be without losing my stake . i've never had to use it fwiw .

it could be that the package turns up , hopefully so . if not you may have some claim to make past $200 . good luck !

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
can anyone recommend a source for mostly-cotton knee high casual/athletic socks with some cushion to them? and like, not tube socks?

years ago I had some from American Apparel in various loud colors but that's no longer an option obviously, and now I just want grey or navy.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
bombas? darn tough?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can anyone recommend a source for mostly-cotton knee high casual/athletic socks with some cushion to them? and like, not tube socks?

years ago I had some from American Apparel in various loud colors but that's no longer an option obviously, and now I just want grey or navy.
Darn tough?

alkydrinker

Reaction score

Not exactly knee high, but for crew socks Los Angeles Apparel (partially related to American Apparel I believe) are terrific. I have a low volume foot so that a cushioned sock wears much better with a majority of my goodyear shoes, even dressier ones. So, I've been searching out thicker, but still refined looking socks for years. Los Angeles Apparel is the best yet. They come out of the wash and machine dryer looking good too. The cotton just looks very smooth and refined so they don't look like gym socks. They feel quite premium, easily better than American Trench for example (IMO).

Idk how you are intending to wear these, but I'll also add that the Los Angeles Apparel socks have no pattern or change of material near your arch (like Bombas has a big, loud honeycomb thing, many athletic socks have ribbing around your arches), so that they work with loafers.

They come in a variety of normal and loud colors - maybe they're a copy of what you were buying from American Apparel? Here's the link:

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mimora831