STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jan 3, 2018.

1. habitant

habitant Distinguished Member

Yeah, but for not much more you can rent a little car to race around yourself. Like a Suzuki swift or a GTI.

2. Benesyed

Benesyed Distinguished Member

I'm doing a closet purge. Lots of Schneider about to show up on grailed/eBay in fat boi sizes. I just own too much shit and it's getting in the way of enjoying it.

3. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Distinguished Member

Nice, in fact pretty much the whole of the French riviera, has many of the most stuck-up, horrible, fake people who will ever meet. I hate the whole area. I'd rather go to Barcelona rather than anywhere near that part of the Mediterranean.

4. Benesyed

Benesyed Distinguished Member

Obviously shirtless and open...

5. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

As someone who has been to the Cote d'Azur since I can remember (my grandparents lived there), I can understand some of the comments but they seem surprisingly superficial to me. It's a beautiful region, the landscape can be breathtaking, the fish, fruit and vegetables are amazing, the region natives are both a bit rugged and tourism machines. But it's nothing like Las Vegas.

Maybe zipping through it in a few days (why do my American friends always want to go to Monaco, for example? It sucks so hard) may give a negative impression (in which case it would probably be good to steer someone away for a short trip), but it's a real region with a rich history (did you know that was essentially part of Italy until only 150 years ago?), culture, gastronomy, and natural beauties. A lot of it requires getting out of the touristic areas (which unfortunately in July/August, is most of it) and scratching the surface.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

@cyc wid it I don't know if it's your thing, but I like Northern Europe much more than I do Southern, in the summers. There is a reason that the locals who can desert the cities in the summer, do. Interlaken in Switzerland, or Kristiansand and Bergen, in Norway, all offer pretty amazing land/seascapes. I would rather be at one of those places than in a metropolitan area in Europe.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

The place that I'm most familiar with is Cannes, and only during the festival, and I find that type of glitzed out thing both exhausting and irritating, so I realize that I'm biased and that my experience may not be typical. And the other place that I have been more than once is Monaco, which does suck so hard, as you wrote. It's the worst. I would rather be stuck in the main pavillion of Pitti Uomo for the full week.

Unfortunately, I've never had the time to explore the region in the off-season, but you are right in that I could have a very different experience then.

My preference for Northern Europe is just that, a personal preference. I like cool, quiet, places and rich food.

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Cannes during the festival is some sort of coked up Disneyworld produced by Harvey Weinstein.

I remember having coffee outside this cafe at 7am before the 8am screening would start. There was no one around but Quentin Tarantino would be at the table next to us, on his own struggling to get a waiter's attention (the year he was showing Pulp Fiction at a midnight screening there, so people just didn't know him). Cannes during the festival is a whole world of bizzare.

Cannes in general is pretty built up but walk three or four blocks back from the Croisette and you'll see a real town with its markets, its people, etc...

If you can get a car and make stops along the road to Italy - in Antibes, Cap Ferrat, Eze, Menton... you may find something that you really like.

9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Distinguished Member

Thanks...

UT Austin used to have a class called The History of Being Cool; occasionally, you could walk by someone at a bar and hear them say, “Actually, I’ve taken a class on this, and can assure you, this jacket is cool!”.

10. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi

Glad to see we've now debated hype, vibe, cool, and Nice.

Up next should be Greats.

Mens-Rosen-Nylon-Cargo-Product-001.jpg

11. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Distinguished Member

Only time I was in Nice was in the late spring (maybe May it was right before the Monaco Grand Prix I guess since we ended up taking a taxi somewhere in Monaco -- sorry @gdl203 -- and actually driving through the setup grand prix course, which was fun and totally unintentional on our part) now almost 20 years ago, and just for two days or so. Was one of those things where I was meeting a friend and we decided for some reason that Nice was both easily for both of us to get to and somewhere we wanted to go. It was actually quite pleasant. Stayed at some tiny hotel right behind the Negresco and had a drink in the Negresco's mostly empty save for the hotel cat bar. Weather was nice and the beach pleasant. Recall the people/food/city being nice too and a lot of Italian surnames for sure.

Also recall waiting for my friend to arrive at the airport and watching a small dog walk through the automatic doors separating the secure arrivals area from the lobby. No leash. Not obvious to me who the owner was. That's probably more just France? Not that I know much about that.

Edit: But I can also go to Hofbrauhaus in beautiful Rosemont ("German favorites whipped up with Bavarian brews & music in digs with long tables & high ceilings" :confused2:) so what's really the point of continuing on to the airport and Munich? Plus, indoor sky diving.

Last edited: May 26, 2018

12. double00

double00 Distinguished Member

the price of those levi's makes me gag i'm not a fan of the super-grabby 'i know what i've got' seller, maybe the same folks selling the belt vest who knows...

13. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

can you enjoy it if you don't speaking French? Maybe Paris give a different vibe, but my whole impression has always been in Italy I can get away with hand gesture (literally...), but to appreciate France I have to speak French somewhat (my random walk around in Rome/Florence has been always more "fun/surprising" than my random walk around in Paris).

14. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

oh and I do have a Gucci from Tom Ford era, it's also quite clean/strong look, and that was center vent, guess center vent is really his thing...

15. Parker

Parker Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored