• Our featured affiliate vendor of the week is Larimars Luxury Menswear Larimars, based in Ontario, Canada, specializes in handmade and semi-handmade shirts made in their family owned factory, with over 1000 fabrics from which to choose!

Please check them out and take advantage of their introductory offer for Styleforum. The discount code is in thread!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Local.MX is a great resource if you know a basic amount of spanish. However I know so many amazing places there. If you like cool small publisher and books, Casa Bosques is a great place. If you are there for a Saturday hit up the Lagunilla Antique market, absolutely amazing vintage from all over Mexico. Mexico City has a ton of mid-century design that it's hard not to find something to do. Also you can check out El Culto which is a punk/metal swap meet that is goofy as hell, but it's right next to the famous Vasconcelos library. I would also make a reservation to go see Luis Barragan's house.

My favorite bougie restaurants are:
El Expendio de Maiz Sin Nombre (Experimental no menu dishes in a old school style kitchen, it literally has like 10 seats)
Bosforo (Technically not a restaurant but has the best Mezcal in the city and next to it is a nameless restaurant serving pre-columbian inspired dishes)
Rosetta, not fully Mexican but very creative dishes using locally sourced items.
Paramo (right above El Expendio)
Tamales Madre (Amazing tamales using interesting combinations both sweet and savoury)

Not Bougie:
Go to San Angel and find some tacos de canasta
Tacos Arabes and Tacos de al Pastor, there are so many places that you'll never find a straight answer of where to get some however in historic core there are a lot of good places.
Quesadilla sin queso (The rest of the republic makes fun of them for it since it just doesn't make sense but why the hell not)
Cafe Tacuba (one of the older restaurants, if not the oldest, in Mexico City)

Mexico City is not my favorite place in Mexico, but it's undeniably the most full of energy. I spent some time there and although I would probably never live there, it will always have a charm and creative energy that I will always love.

Juan_CapraLeather

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Which one have you been eyeing? The one that caught my eye is from Capra, a SF affiliate (I’ve nothing to do with them BTW). Looks great for the price IMO, reminds me of the Cucinelli ones I see at Mr Porter for 10x the price.

Hi,
I saw that you finally decided on a Capra duffle bag. Thank you.

A few years ago, I designed our duffle bag, and it’s one of my favorite pieces. The hand stitched handles are one of a kind. I recently added the option of a shoe compartment based on a customer’s request.

Would love to hear your feedback on the official thread.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I saw that you finally decided on a Capra duffle bag. Thank you.

A few years ago, I designed our duffle bag, and it’s one of my favorite pieces. The hand stitched handles are one of a kind. I recently added the option of a shoe compartment based on a customer’s request.

Would love to hear your feedback on the official thread.
I did! It definitely caught my eye, I was not in the market for a bag… And yes I’ll try to post a quick review in the official thread once work and my 1yo give me a break (hopefully during Christmas).

schraiber

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas of women's shops that are sort of in the general price/quality range as a shop like Canoe Club? Feels like it's hard to find that sort of upper-middle/lower-luxury range in women's wear, sort of above mall brands but below more traditional luxury retail.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

schraiber

Reaction score
@schraiber namu shop, reliquary, neighbor, Mohawk general store, glasswing, Google brands sold there for other retailers.
These are great places to start, thanks! Mostly motivated by my gf really liking a lot of the "quality" (whatever that means exactly) of pieces I wear and us trying to find her similar "quality" stuff in roughly the same price range. So this gives us a bunch of stuff to look into and see if there are any shops/brands that really strike her fancy.

jaaz16

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas of women's shops that are sort of in the general price/quality range as a shop like Canoe Club? Feels like it's hard to find that sort of upper-middle/lower-luxury range in women's wear, sort of above mall brands but below more traditional luxury retail.
I follow Epitome for inspo even though it's all women's and my wife is more into Target, but I think they're excellent and their model does a great job on IG: https://www.epitomeofedinburgh.com/

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
I tried to get my lady into Margiela/Isabel Marant/Branquinho but now all I see are boxes from
Shein haha it’s not even fast fashion it’s like speed of light fashion

Now she needs three closets and half of mine. Anyone else in this predicament 😂

schraiber

Reaction score
I tried to get my lady into Margiela/Isabel Marant/Branquinho but now all I see are boxes from
Shein haha it’s not even fast fashion it’s like speed of light fashion

Now she needs three closets and half of mine. Anyone else in this predicament 😂
Luckily my gf isn't like that! She mostly shops at Madewell and Everlane, puts some thought into purchases, and almost certainly buys less stuff than me. I think she's ripe for getting into the "fewer, better things" mindset, which I don't really see as an ethical thing, I just want to feel less guilty about how much money I spend on clothes and if she spends the same amount as me, that somehow helps my guilt complex ;-)

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luckily my gf isn't like that! She mostly shops at Madewell and Everlane, puts some thought into purchases, and almost certainly buys less stuff than me. I think she's ripe for getting into the "fewer, better things" mindset, which I don't really see as an ethical thing, I just want to feel less guilty about how much money I spend on clothes and if she spends the same amount as me, that somehow helps my guilt complex ;-)
Stag Provisons has their “Daughters” store which has some nice stuff. I’ve also liked what I’ve seen from Ann Mashburn when I get their (Sid’s) catalogs

Old Red

Reaction score
My wife's bought clothing twice this year. $15 for a blouse off a street vendor in NYC. This was on a trip we took so I could visit CEGO for shirts. Couple weeks ago she went to Tractor Supply for some cheap bibs.

She did retire this last spring so has a good sized wardrobe from her working days.

Featured Sponsor

Corduroy…who wore it best?

• @khughes44

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • @duke santos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • @DavidLane

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • @Old Red

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • @Chadclass

Votes: 15 21.1%