• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably the best known is Rick Owens, who has a white American father and a Mexican mother. If you are looking for Latino designers in the same way that The Food Network looks for Asian chefs - i.e. their work has to be heavily influenced by their ethnic heritage, then maybe Raul Lopez, who cofounded HBA (Hood by Air).

this was my first thought too but idk as he considers himself . from modesto iirc ? a very calfornio upbringing in any case .

it's interesting : the census is self-selecting . meanwhile we continue to treat race / ethnicity as an appreciable quality . i love my styfolks regardless or irregardless as it were , peace .

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... or like maybe willy chavarria ? this vest is not bad ! idk how latino it is tho

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
It’s not a trick question guys.

I would accept any of the following:
1. Born and raised in Latin America. The designer still lives and has their brand in a Latin American country
2. Born and raised in Latin America, but has since moved to another country. Classic examples would be Oscar de la Renta or Carolina Herrera.
3. Born and raised in the USA, but your parents are immigrants from Latin America and raised you based on that cultural heritage.

Upcoming means they’ve shown their collections at major events like Paris or NYC Fashion Week.

While I appreciate Haider Ackerman or Rick Owens, I feel like neither would self-identify as Latino and are likely reaching examples. It’s OK if there aren’t any promising Latino designers, just genuinely curious if there are any I should have on my radar.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Say you want to get a frayed look but don’t want to cut the jeans yourself (I’ve done this and fucked up the seam on the hem). Would a tailor do that type of job?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not a trick question guys.

3. Born and raised in the USA, but your parents are immigrants from Latin America and raised you based on that cultural heritage.
I find this part a bit problematic. Just as an example, how do you know that Rick doesn’t self identify as Latino? His men’s designs are primarily crazy rethinking of LA staples like biker jackets, jeans, chucks, baseball caps, etc… Is that less validly Latino than someone whose designs are very Chicano, for instance? If I design very North American leather jackets, would that make me less Asian? The question seems based on stereotypes and a judgement of how someone ought to filter their cultural experience. I’m just not comfortable with that.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well he asked for up-and-coming...I know Rick would probably blow CM's collective mind but he's not exactly recently emerged.
You’re right, but the thing that I finds problematic about this question is this: “While I appreciate Haider Ackerman or Rick Owens, I feel like neither would self-identify as Latino and are likely reaching examples.”

I guess that my point is that the minority experience is varied, and that the criterion that the parents raised them “based on that cultural heritage” seems reductive and somewhat problematic. Like, what does that really mean? I was raised in an immigrant family, but my family definitely did not do things like other families of the same ethnicity, especially in what new customs we adopted and which we did not, and what old cultural traditions we kept and which were discarded. And we definitely were not raised in an ethnic enclave. This idea that someone could or could not be “ethnic enough” seems problematic to me.

shopcanoeclub

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@RegisDB9 take a ruler, measure up the same amount on each leg, and cut straight across with sharp scissors. Fray comes with wash. If the outseam starts to give, just take a little bit of thread and re-sew it shut. E z. Alternatively a tailor can probably cut, and instead of re-hemming the pants they can run a tonal stitch through the bottom to close it up

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
I find this part a bit problematic. Just as an example, how do you know that Rick doesn’t self identify as Latino? His men’s designs are primarily crazy rethinking of LA staples like biker jackets, jeans, chucks, baseball caps, etc… Is that less validly Latino than someone whose designs are very Chicano, for instance? If I design very North American leather jackets, would that make me less Asian? The question seems based on stereotypes and a judgement of how someone ought to filter their cultural experience. I’m just not comfortable with that.
You’re right, it’s probably unfair to say Rick doesn’t self-identify with his Mexican heritage.

I think you’re reading into the prompt too much. Raúl López or Angelo Urrutia are both good answers. Not based on the style of clothes they create, but simply because of their ancestral ties to Latin America (DR, El Salvador). Again, Oscar de la Renta and Carolina Herrera are the two classic “Latin Designer” success stories, not because they design streetwear (quite the opposite), but due to both being born and raised in Latin America.

If other examples come to mind, I’d love to hear them.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think the question is all that deep. I mean yeah Rick Owens might identify as part Latino, but he is more Californian than anything and his take on Chicano staples are very Californian and not necessarily coming from an angle of being Latino. However I could totally be wrong.

Most Californian Chicanos definitely look at themselves very different from people that were born and raised in LatAm.

There are a ton of designers in Mexico City but to be honest not a ton of ones that are becoming hits. I'll dig up my list from a while back, I went to check out a bunch but left sorta kinda disappointed.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think the question is all that deep. I mean yeah Rick Owens might identify as part Latino, but he is more Californian than anything and his take on Chicano staples are very Californian and not necessarily coming from an angle of being Latino. However I could totally be wrong.

Most Californian Chicanos definitely look at themselves very different from people that were born and raised in LatAm.

There are a ton of designers in Mexico City but to be honest not a ton of ones that are becoming hits. I'll dig up my list from a while back, I went to check out a bunch but left sorta kinda disappointed.

The bolded part is problematic to me. A designer, a chef, any type of creative, is not responsible for representing any particular culture in order for them to have their ethnicity validated. Like, if I were a chef, I could cook straight up Italian, and I would still be an Asian chef. I don't need to make Chinese food, or even Asian food. I know that that was not @BlakeRVA 's intention, but this type of question can feel very restrictive. The implication is that there are valid and non-valid expressions of culture. It's very prevalent in media (In a lot of shows about food, a person is depicted as more true to their roots if they cook the food associated with their ethnicity), and it's often reinforced within the ethnic cultures themselves, with more "aculturated" people being called things like Oreos or Bananas. Like, the fact that Rick sees thngs through a Californian lens doesn't make him less Latino. In order to be an Argentian designer, you don't need to reference Gauchos and Tango. To be a Mexican designer, you don;t need to reference Mariachi or some weird version of Baz Luhrman's Romeo and Juliet. To be a Chinese designer, you don't need to reference Bruce Lee or Song dynasty ceramics. You just need to have Argentinian, or Mexican, or Chinese, roots.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindafassett927