• We would like to welcome Larimars Luxury Menswear as an official Affiliate Vendor. Larimars, based in Ontario, Canada, and specializing in handmade and semi-handmade shirts made in their family owned factory, with over 1000 fabrics from which to choose!

Please check out their thread on here, welcome them, and take advantage of their introductory offer for Styleforum. The discount code is in thread!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Ah yes the Osiris! Had those for a while when the “cool” thing was to have hook-up decks cause they were edgy haha. Then fell in love with Habitat (watched a lot of Getz) and tried to get sponsored. All was for not when I busted my face on concrete and had to go the ER. Then my parents destroyed my first ever deck (World industries) and then all my Habitats……got on one the other day and I could barely ollie haha

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody bought J Crew new stuff?
I’m not personally interested in it but am curious if all the talk actually has meant sales and what people think about it irl.
I bought one of these indigo twill flannel shirts when they were on sale, and just bought another for $30-something. They are surprisingly sturdy fabric and well made for J Crew. Collar is still weak 😂

Trit

Reaction score
MVP gloves.jpg

Wanted a pair of slip on gloves to hit the bag with casually. Found this New Zealand company with the unfortunate name, Modest Vintage Player. They make sports things with good leather. I got the gloves and they are excellent. I don't know how they are sourcing this nice of leather at that low a price. That cream on brown combo is so sexy.

hyabusa gloves.jpg

Compared to these "premium" leather gloves I had ordered earlier for more money. Which are good boxing gloves but the leather quality is of course trash. I can't tell if companies even know the difference anymore. Like both these companies are claiming to use the finest leathers. But one actually is using good leather and one isn't. And it's not about price. So I assume the MVP company knows they're sourcing good stuff but does this Hayabusa company definitely know it's using cheap stuff and lying? I get the same thing with leather furniture. Leather quality and price seem to be mostly unrelated.

Last edited:

blacklight

Reaction score
I would not be using those two gloves for the same thing.

Trit

Reaction score
I'm not, we're good. MMA gloves are just when I want to mess around at low energy on the bag. And I'm not martial arts guy but sometimes you want the feel of open hands to simulate more realistic punching. Plus, they're sexy, as stated before.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score
I'm not, we're good. MMA gloves are just when I want to mess around at low energy on the bag. And I'm not martial arts guy but sometimes you want the feel of open hands to simulate more realistic punching. Plus, they're sexy, as stated before.
I like training with MMA gloves on the pads and bags because they feel different from boxing gloves and I find that my distance mangement gets a bit messed up if I wear 16 ounce gloves to practice. Of course, to spar, we wear 16 ounce gloves, for practical reasons. We will point spar with MMA gloves, again, to make sure to get a feel of distance management. Honestly, MMA sparring is typically much lighter than what boxers do, probably taking cues more from what Thai boxers do.

For hitting bags, I would probably recommend bag gloves, which are different from sparring gloves. I have some Hayabusas, but frankly, they are not my favorite. Everyone has a favorite brand/model.

Trit

Reaction score
I like training with MMA gloves on the pads and bags because they feel different from boxing gloves and I find that my distance mangement gets a bit messed up if I wear 16 ounce gloves to practice. Of course, to spar, we wear 16 ounce gloves, for practical reasons. We will point spar with MMA gloves, again, to make sure to get a feel of distance management. Honestly, MMA sparring is typically much lighter than what boxers do, probably taking cues more from what Thai boxers do.

For hitting bags, I would probably recommend bag gloves, which are different from sparring gloves. I have some Hayabusas, but frankly, they are not my favorite. Everyone has a favorite brand/model.
Very true. For Canadians, if you got a couple hundred, you can mix and match Rival and Hayabusa and get great versions of whatever. Plus no customs. Getting a taste for the exotic is always a risk since it could be good but not good for you. Like everyone loves Winning nose guard headgear but at like $800 to you door it's a crazy risk. But sometimes it's also fun to try stuff out and explore.

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Came across these Lanvins and they took me back to my skater phase in HS and all the Etnies with huge laces I used to have

View attachment 1821669
They remind me of the fat laces that break dancers used to have on their Superstars
As to those Osiris shoes, I really wonder if anyone actually skated in those,
I remember trying them on and they were really clunky, same goes for DC shoes, etc.

Etnies 4 life, bought five pairs when a local skate store was phasing out certain brands, still have two left, the ones I'm using atm are crapping out soon.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They remind me of the fat laces that break dancers used to have on their Superstars
I remember trying them on and they were really clunky, same goes for DC shoes, etc.

Etnies 4 life, bought five pairs when a local skate store was phasing out certain brands, still have two left, the ones I'm using atm are crapping out soon.

Those Sal Barbier were my favorite skate shoes of all time.. so good.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score

I preferred Etnies as well but those Osiris and some DCs provided great padding for the ankle area. 95% of my falls were from random pebbles on the sidewalk though 😣

kashmir

Reaction score
yes theyre a staple for me too, if nothing else they've killed the 'casual blazer' which we should all be thankful for

some of those korean micro brands seem to have interesting tech-ish options, frizmworks for example. might be worth investigating
this explosion of chore coats has been quite fun to witness, what with the plethora of variations available. I seem to remember 10 years ago they were pretty popular amongst the denim crowd and then disappeared. of course back then they were mostly made of rugged heavy canvas (LL Bean, 2 size down!) befitting the workwear trend.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anybody bought J Crew new stuff?
I’m not personally interested in it but am curious if all the talk actually has meant sales and what people think about it irl.
I bought a pair of the "Giant-Fit Chinos" and the fabric was definitely much sturdier and nicer than what is in their normal chinos. The fabric felt very similar to that on some Japanese chinos I have from Full Count which are some of the nicest I've owned. However, the waist was very oversized (and I had already sized down when placing my order) and I had to send mine back for the another size smaller but their currently on backorder.

My only real complaint (I can live with the vanity sizing) is the tiny little cuffs on the chinos. They have cuffs that measure in at just less than 1" wide. I'd rather have big 2" cuffs or no cuffs at all.

Featured Sponsor

What time of the year do you spend the most money on clothes?

• Spring

• Summer

• Fall

• Winter

• No difference

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Talus