• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend decent work out shorts with a liner, 5 inch inseam, not too baggy and that won’t break the bank?

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was talking to a berlin zoomer who said shes getting into obscure retro looks 'like have you heard of hedi slimane'. impossible to explain that the skinny jeans most normal ppl still default to are directly linked to hedi

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
i was talking to a berlin zoomer who said shes getting into obscure retro looks 'like have you heard of hedi slimane'. impossible to explain that the skinny jeans most normal ppl still default to are directly linked to hedi

Not only have I heard of this obscure retro guy, I've also noticed he's still making clothes.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, acid jazz, the genre whose sole function was to be released on compilation cd's that served as background music in 'trendy' cafes in the 90s.
Nah you're thinking of Cafe del Mar or something. Acid Jazz was real. It was a massive revival of the music scene in the UK. Bands like Brand New Heavies, Galliano, Incognito, James Taylor Quartet, UFO, Young Disciples were excellent (I saw most of those live back then - Incognito in Camden in 1995 is in my top 3 concerts ever). Jamiroquai's first three albums were so dope (although it was always a lame live act) and then music took a hard left turn to nowhere after it had one hit song in the US. Gilles Peterson is one of the most influential person of his generation in music, especially for British music. Even now, Brownswood puts out amazing stuff.

It's also pretty clear that the current crop of amazing jazz artists from the UK owes a lot to the acid jazz movement and to Peterson.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

zoomers are freaking great man. So sincere, and really have a hell of a lot fewer hang-ups than previous generations. Not in an annoying i'm-gonna-pretend-to-be-more-liberal-than-you way, just in a very chilled out, accepting way. Curious and open-minded.

Had a 18 year old patient today and the guy was just so intelligent. The way he was talking you could tell he'd thought about his condition and the things that could be going on, but also wasn't trying to project himself or use any ego at all. Almost every time I have a patient in that age bracket I'm left thinking that damn, there are definitely some things that we're doing right!

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, acid jazz, the genre whose sole function was to be released on compilation cd's that served as background music in 'trendy' cafes in the 90s.
Nah you're thinking of Cafe del Mar or something. Acid Jazz was real. It was a massive revival of the music scene in the UK. Bands like Brand New Heavies, Galliano, Incognito, James Taylor Quartet, UFO, Young Disciples were excellent (I saw most of those live back then - Incognito in Camden in 1995 is in my top 3 concerts ever). Jamiroquai's first three albums were so dope (although it was always a lame live act) and then music took a hard left turn to nowhere after it had one hit song in the US. Gilles Peterson is one of the most influential person of his generation in music, especially for British music. Even now, Brownswood puts out amazing stuff.

It's also pretty clear that the current crop of amazing jazz artists from the UK owes a lot to the acid jazz movement and to Peterson.

Greg said it better than I could. Gilles is great. Check out the Totally Wired series.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get you. I’ve definitely become the old warhorse with old stories. “Back in the day, before Angelo was at Engineered Garments…” “ Back in the Day, when Scott Schuman first started promoting his street style blog here…” etc…

Someone told me recently that they went from being a customer to being “employee number one”. I remember doing that in what must have been late 1998. That’s 23+ years for me.

The days are long but the years are short.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
zoomers are freaking great man. So sincere, and really have a hell of a lot fewer hang-ups than previous generations. Not in an annoying i'm-gonna-pretend-to-be-more-liberal-than-you way, just in a very chilled out, accepting way. Curious and open-minded.

Had a 18 year old patient today and the guy was just so intelligent. The way he was talking you could tell he'd thought about his condition and the things that could be going on, but also wasn't trying to project himself or use any ego at all. Almost every time I have a patient in that age bracket I'm left thinking that damn, there are definitely some things that we're doing right!
My oldest daughter is 14, nearly 15, and yeah, the zoomers are a good generation. She is not just much, much, smarter and more mature than I was at her age, she seems to also be much more honest without aggression. That said, the very worst, completely unhinged people also seem to be zoomers. It’s like the filters are gone, for good and for bad.

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah you're thinking of Cafe del Mar or something. Acid Jazz was real. It was a massive revival of the music scene in the UK. Bands like Brand New Heavies, Galliano, Incognito, James Taylor Quartet, UFO, Young Disciples were excellent (I saw most of those live back then - Incognito in Camden in 1995 is in my top 3 concerts ever).

Oh, I don't doubt that it was a fully-fledged scene in the UK, over here it was mostly those compilation cd's, and guys with the logo t-shirts. Cafe del Mar, that's another blast from the past, the Jose Padilla -curated elevator music series, yuck.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend decent work out shorts with a liner, 5 inch inseam, not too baggy and that won’t break the bank?
Lululemon pacebreaker have been my go to for years for run and gym.

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
If you complain about the quality of that acid jazz/soft house/trip hop ****, you weren't getting laid in the 90s.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i could ask what this means but maybe better to ask the reverse ... what is * projection / ego * in this context ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads