• We would like to welcome Larimars Luxury Menswear as an official Affiliate Vendor. Larimars, based in Ontario, Canada, and specializing in handmade and semi-handmade shirts made in their family owned factory, with over 1000 fabrics from which to choose!

Please check out their thread on here, welcome them, and take advantage of their introductory offer for Styleforum. The discount code is in thread!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! The modified Casios look great.

Edit: These Casio A1000 looks good (steel case + bracelet), but the negative display has received horrible reviews. Might try one though.

I had a black metal case Seiko digital that was very close, sold to a friend who was enamored with it as I didn't wear it as much as my Casio Protreks. Your best best is looking at 80's Seikos on Y!JP, rarely you can find a Silver Wave or similar with a black metal bracelet and case. Should be under $200.

If you want something more accessible, I did a little write up about minimalising a cheap $5 Casio F series that you might like: https://shellzine.net/casio-f-series-mods/
The result is fairly similar based on what mods you end up doing.

Last edited:

blacklight

Reaction score
I had plantar fasciitis and Birkenstocks helped. In addition to switching the whole insole, as someone recommended, you could add these arch supports:
View attachment 1807334

They're a little heavy duty though. I tried them on a few shoes, and now just have them on my house slippers.

But the things that helped me the most are these compression bands that go around your foot.:
View attachment 1807333

With those on, you could wear any shoe you wanted. Highly recommend. I still use them if I'm going to be walking for long distances in something flat like loafers or Vans.
Had severe fasciitis from dance and aggressive marathon training. Freeze a plastic water bottle overnight and roll it back and forth beneath your foot for 10-15 in the morning. Got me right in 3-4 weeks after being bothersome for months.

emptym

Reaction score
Yeah, that works well too. And tennis balls. Kneeling while sitting on your heels is a very helpful stretch.

flicers

Reaction score
I think Clarks are great, but you can also check out Astorflex and J. Crew's suede desert boots. I have the latter and like them.
It might also be worth checking out padmore & barnes. Used to produce the wallabees in Ireland and a bit more expensive (edit: just checked and black and camel are on yoox for -40%, which is the same price range as clarks). Never handled them personally but reviews seemed to be positive when I was looking for desert boots.

If you're lucky to find them I can recommend the jil sander x clarks collaboration. Made in England and better leather & construction than regular clarks.

Last edited:

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It might also be worth checking out padmore & barnes. Used to produce the wallabees in Ireland and a bit more expensive (edit: just checked and black and camel are on yoox for -40%, which is the same price range as clarks). Never handled them personally but reviews seemed to be positive when I was looking for desert boots.

If you're lucky to find them I can recommend the jil sander x clarks collaboration. Made in England and better leather & construction than regular clarks.
P&B has superior construction and materials IMO

withbluejeans

Reaction score
I apologize if this is not the right thread, but who would be recommended for ghurka shorts? I love the ones on NMWA from Kaptain Sunshine, but am not in a place to drop that money. Upper limit would be $150, and not against buying second hand. Thanks.

Racing Green

Reaction score

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Maxwellll

Reaction score
Crown Northampton are doing made in England Kudu suede desert boots, you can pick the sole colour too, I guess these might be on old Clarks/Padmore pattern/last or something? I have no idea if they're actually worth the price though ($320...)

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
I’ve noticed some of the veteran posters on the Classic Menswear side of the forum tend to treat threads like an asynchronous group chat.

However, it seems like on the SWD people are more hesitant to post unless they “have something to say”.

Why is that?

Personally, I’ve had several occasions where I wanted to say something, but feared it wasn’t valuable enough. Anybody else feel like that?

SWD feels really quiet these days..

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
I’ve noticed some of the veteran posters on the Classic Menswear side of the forum tend to treat threads like an asynchronous group chat.

However, it seems like on the SWD people are more hesitant to post unless they “have something to say”.

Why is that?

Personally, I’ve had several occasions where I wanted to say something, but feared it wasn’t valuable enough. Anybody else feel like that?

SWD feels really quiet these days..
I've noticed that in certain threads before. The Celine thread for example is used to haver on about whatever while questions are still being answered and relevant content is still posted. I assume this is the case with older threads because people have been posting there for years, so a tiny subculture develops. In other threads I don't know the people who post there, and I'm often not sure what's "acceptable" within the thread's unwritten rules.

Featured Sponsor

What time of the year do you spend the most money on clothes?

• Spring

• Summer

• Fall

• Winter

• No difference

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dwirking1664