• We are thrilled to welcome Capra Leather to the Styleforum family of official Affiliate Vendors.They are a hand crafted, made to order leather goods family company. Their products have unique designs with a aesthetic that blend minimalism, tradition and functionality. Focused on sustainability they offer a lifetime warranty on every piece.

Give Capra a warm welcome on their Official Affiliate Thread

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Maxwellll

Reaction score
Partly related to fashion because I came across Green River Project as set design for Bode lookbooks which I thought was cool for interior inspiration. But now they seem to just be making stuff out of twigs, OK you've black lacquered it for minimalism but otherwise its like something you'd bring back for your parents off a school outdoors camping trip.

This a salty gripe I have with art and creative worlds, its like as long as you live in New York, or London, or LA, and have friends in the right places, in galleries or whatever, you can throw up any old shit and call it design. Like what in the hell is this twig cupboard handles :rotflmao:

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Partly related to fashion because I came across Green River Project as set design for Bode lookbooks which I thought was cool for interior inspiration. But now they seem to just be making stuff out of twigs, OK you've black lacquered it for minimalism but otherwise its like something you'd bring back for your parents off a school outdoors camping trip.

This a salty gripe I have with art and creative worlds, its like as long as you live in New York, or London, or LA, and have friends in the right places, in galleries or whatever, you can throw up any old shit and call it design. Like what in the hell is this twig cupboard handles :rotflmao:

I like the chair :thumbs-up:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I want to replace an old pair of Clarks desert boots that I bring to, well, the desert, bush or similar places. They've lasted me a long time so maybe I'm an outlier (no idea) but I was satisfied with the construction/durability etc, still are there any alternatives I should be looking at? Mine are suede wit crepe soles and I'd like to keep those caracteristics, don't like leather versions.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to replace an old pair of Clarks desert boots that I bring to, well, the desert, bush or similar places. They've lasted me a long time so maybe I'm an outlier (no idea) but I was satisfied with the construction/durability etc, still are there any alternatives I should be looking at? Mine are suede wit crepe soles and I'd like to keep those caracteristics, don't like leather versions.
I think Clarks are great, but you can also check out Astorflex and J. Crew's suede desert boots. I have the latter and like them.

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
I have Astorflex Chelsea boots and I love them. Very comfortable. So far I have owned them about two years and they are holding up fine. I wear them twice a week in the fall/winter/spring

MeatFish

Reaction score
Clarks are probably fine for what your after, but I've always been a fan of Tricker's Monty chukka. Chunkier sole + welt if you care for that kind of thing.
trickers-tan-Monty-Suede-Desert-Boots.jpeg

xeoniq

Reaction score
speaking of watches, anyone can recommend anything similar to the "bladerunner watch", Microma PVD?
I like it both for style and nerd appeal, but not enough to look for a vintage one

I had a black metal case Seiko digital that was very close, sold to a friend who was enamored with it as I didn't wear it as much as my Casio Protreks. Your best best is looking at 80's Seikos on Y!JP, rarely you can find a Silver Wave or similar with a black metal bracelet and case. Should be under $200.

If you want something more accessible, I did a little write up about minimalising a cheap $5 Casio F series that you might like: https://shellzine.net/casio-f-series-mods/
The result is fairly similar based on what mods you end up doing.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh man, I used to have the Seiko that was in Octopussy and have always missed it. I was a stupid teenager and took it off my wrist at IHOP and forgot it there, never to be seen again :(
1852C8D3-19B8-42CE-ABF2-57030AADC990.jpeg

emptym

Reaction score
Less a thought than a question: does anyone know of any vintage/classic looking sneakers/everyday shoes with a soft, relatively thick sole +/- some arch support.

I've developed some plantar fasciitis because of my flat feet and lots of sports, and have been forced to wear running shoes, all of which don't fit with my style at all (something between all black archive and heritage workwear).

Any suggestions would be amazing, please help me not have to wear my awful Brooks running shoes anymore.

Cheers
A bit late to reply, but I'm in a similar boat except I can't wear zero-drop shoes (sorry, Chucks). I've settled on New Balance 574 that even come in wide to suit my wider feet. Now, I really look like a hipster dad.
I had plantar fasciitis and Birkenstocks helped. In addition to switching the whole insole, as someone recommended, you could add these arch supports:
41USiNhPS6L._AC_.jpg

They're a little heavy duty though. I tried them on a few shoes, and now just have them on my house slippers.

But the things that helped me the most are these compression bands that go around your foot.:
71fc+evxwsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

With those on, you could wear any shoe you wanted. Highly recommend. I still use them if I'm going to be walking for long distances in something flat like loafers or Vans.

Featured Sponsor

What time of the year do you spend the most money on clothes?

• Spring

• Summer

• Fall

• Winter

• No difference

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lawschooldebt