• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score
Hahaha @RegisDB9 well, sometimes you live on the wild side.

@LA Guy yo yo, yeah so I know one of the fellas, he stops through regularly and chats us up.Tbh I don’t think I ever really understood what they do. I would love a cool knife tho. Do you already have one or you’ve just had your eye on it
Oh, as for a cool knife, it depends on what you are looking for, and your budget - i.e. how ,much you hate your money. One of the most beautiful knives is a Chris Reeve Sebenza with an inlay, but those run $450+ for a small one, and $600+ for large one. And truthfully, they are a bit of a pain to open.

There are a lot of knives out there, but unless you are comfortable around pocketknives, you probably want something that is relatively small, and doesn't look like a murder weapon, and maybe is easy to deploy and use with one hand, but can also be opened with 2 hands. Maybe something that is a modern knife but with the look of a traditional, like an (Enrique) Pena trapper, with can be flipped open with your thumb, but also has a nail nick so that you can open it like an old time slip joint, but has the benefit of a lock, which is super useful. The blade is not very long, and the knife iis small and looks both cool but also slightly oldtimey:

https://www.knifejoy.com/products/enrique-pena-x-series-front-flipper-trapper-brown-canvas-micarta

And something like brown micarta is can get a really nice worn in look as you use it and it absorbs the oils in your hands.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
You’re hanging with @RegisDB9 on a beautiful warm night in Miami. The drinks are flowing, the music is playing, and the bay is twinkling in the evening light. As you glance over the brim of your mojito, you catch the silhouette of Regis at full mast outlined in the setting sun. He looks over at you intently, meets your eyeline for what seems like an eternity in silence, and gently exhales,

“…Namaste.”
1653366249506.gif

PeteyPajamapant

Reaction score
Anyone know how these Grant Stone loafers compare to Alden LHS? Besides the price difference.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how these Grant Stone loafers compare to Alden LHS? Besides the price difference.

Wasn't Grant Stone started by someone who used to work for Alden?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score
Only real pocketknife with all the essentials needed by anyone here, mostly likely:
GEC Great Eastern Cutlery Urban Jack.jpg

The Great Eastern Cutlery Urban Jack.

Even the colors and textures - brass pins with silver shield and bolsters over green micarta scales, seems to be something you'd match with an S.E.H. Kelly Balmacaan and Frank Leder pants

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What aspects of comparison? For one thing, GS are lined, I believe most of the snuff suede alden lhs are unlined.

I own many examples of both loafers and I'd say the quality is almost identical in construction and suede. Aldens have a slimmer profile and the flex welt is unimpeachable

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score
Seems like DWW is gonna have a recurring podcast thru Blamo! Congrats to you Derek, I can see the Blamo universe being the tailoring convo outlet you've been looking for
Was this announced on twitter?

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s awesome, I enjoyed his last appearance on the podcast.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only real pocketknife with all the essentials needed by anyone here, mostly likely:
View attachment 1795480
The Great Eastern Cutlery Urban Jack.

Even the colors and textures - brass pins with silver shield and bolsters over green micarta scales, seems to be something you'd match with an S.E.H. Kelly Balmacaan and Frank Leder pants
That’s pretty nice, although it would be even better with a bottle opener. My daily carry is an Alox SAK and I think the bottle opener gets more use than anything

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score
That’s pretty nice, although it would be even better with a bottle opener. My daily carry is an Alox SAK and I think the bottle opener gets more use than anything
I have modded out SAKs, both with scissors and bottle openers and a screwdriver head, the last of which is probably what I use most. One has a pocket clip, so I usually carry that when I am wearing jeans in my fifth pocket, along with a custom flashlight - The light and the screwdriver are the things I probably use most often. I like a small locking knife because I love my fingers.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have modded out SAKs, both with scissors and bottle openers and a screwdriver head, the last of which is probably what I use most. One has a pocket clip, so I usually carry that when I am wearing jeans in my fifth pocket, along with a custom flashlight - The loght and the screwdriver are the things I probably use most often. I like a small locking knife because I love my fingers.
scissors seem really useful , i'm always thinking about taking flower cuttings but too lazy to go fetch shears . something that clips in the watch pocket sounds a+

Featured Sponsor

When shopping for clothes do you (choose up to 2)

• Always return to the same brands/stores/websites

• Like to visit brick&mortar shops to see things in person

• Shop mainly online and take advantage of free returns

• Like to try new brands/stores/websites

• Shop mainly during the sales, regardless of the brand/store/website

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MathewNeedham