• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

PeteyPajamapant

Reaction score
Anyone know how these Grant Stone loafers compare to Alden LHS? Besides the price difference.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how these Grant Stone loafers compare to Alden LHS? Besides the price difference.

Wasn't Grant Stone started by someone who used to work for Alden?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't Grant Stone started by someone who used to work for Alden?
I believe that it's a relative. The products are in a similar vein, and honestly, more reliable,

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only real pocketknife with all the essentials needed by anyone here, mostly likely:
GEC Great Eastern Cutlery Urban Jack.jpg

The Great Eastern Cutlery Urban Jack.

Even the colors and textures - brass pins with silver shield and bolsters over green micarta scales, seems to be something you'd match with an S.E.H. Kelly Balmacaan and Frank Leder pants

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What aspects of comparison? For one thing, GS are lined, I believe most of the snuff suede alden lhs are unlined.

I own many examples of both loafers and I'd say the quality is almost identical in construction and suede. Aldens have a slimmer profile and the flex welt is unimpeachable

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like DWW is gonna have a recurring podcast thru Blamo! Congrats to you Derek, I can see the Blamo universe being the tailoring convo outlet you've been looking for
Was this announced on twitter?

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s awesome, I enjoyed his last appearance on the podcast.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only real pocketknife with all the essentials needed by anyone here, mostly likely:
View attachment 1795480
The Great Eastern Cutlery Urban Jack.

Even the colors and textures - brass pins with silver shield and bolsters over green micarta scales, seems to be something you'd match with an S.E.H. Kelly Balmacaan and Frank Leder pants

That’s pretty nice, although it would be even better with a bottle opener. My daily carry is an Alox SAK and I think the bottle opener gets more use than anything

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s pretty nice, although it would be even better with a bottle opener. My daily carry is an Alox SAK and I think the bottle opener gets more use than anything
I have modded out SAKs, both with scissors and bottle openers and a screwdriver head, the last of which is probably what I use most. One has a pocket clip, so I usually carry that when I am wearing jeans in my fifth pocket, along with a custom flashlight - The light and the screwdriver are the things I probably use most often. I like a small locking knife because I love my fingers.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have modded out SAKs, both with scissors and bottle openers and a screwdriver head, the last of which is probably what I use most. One has a pocket clip, so I usually carry that when I am wearing jeans in my fifth pocket, along with a custom flashlight - The loght and the screwdriver are the things I probably use most often. I like a small locking knife because I love my fingers.

scissors seem really useful , i'm always thinking about taking flower cuttings but too lazy to go fetch shears . something that clips in the watch pocket sounds a+

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blamo! sounds crap to be frank, but it's probably aimed at people 20 years younger than me and American. However, it's doubtless much better for Derek than pointlessly arguing about green oxfords on CM.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blamo! sounds crap to be frank, but it's probably aimed at people 20 years younger than me and American. However, it's doubtless much better for Derek than pointlessly arguing about green oxfords on CM.
Have you ever listened to it? Blamo has always been one of my favorite pods and ways to engage with style and menswear. Jeremy seems like one of the most cool and down to earth guys out there. I’ve never thought of his pod as American-centric specifically, esp with the slate of international guests he’s had on the show, though I’m also American so I’m sure that comes with a certain set of blinders to my worldview at times.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads