• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: beaters - I don’t think they have to be cheap, I just think they have to be durable and look decent with some wear on them. My “beater”/everyday watch is the most expensive one I own, but it’s also the toughest.

I have no problem doing yard work or going fishing in a RRL shirt.

Just because something is expensive doesn’t mean it can’t be a beater. But I guess if I was buying stuff and was afraid to wear it I would wonder if I should’ve bought it in the first place.

MythReindeer

Reaction score
Wear your good stuff enough to give it second life as beaters. That way you avoid the anxiety of buying mediocre stuff.
Yea, I definitely understand having different shoes—even sneakers—for different applications. But especially for sneakers, I’d guess that with enough wear voila! You have beaters. Unless you don’t want to first wear out the arch support structure or whatever, but then you’d want to buy special “walking shoes” similar to how you’d buy dedicated running shoes.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
My motto is (except for the gym, but hey I’ll go in boots if I had to) if I can wear sneakers I can wear boots

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I think Margiela GATs look better thrashed. Back in the day, some of the best fits on here were people wearing thrashed CP Achilles and various forms of GATs. Those shoes look a lot better to me when they look like they've been heavily worn and put through a lot.
I'm struggling to think of sneakers that don't look better with at least some amount of wear and tear.
The worst thing about expensive minimalist sneakers is that you pay more for shoes that take longer to look good.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm struggling to think of sneakers that don't look better with at least some amount of wear and tear.
The worst thing about expensive minimalist sneakers is that you pay more for shoes that take longer to look good.
I think some streetwear outfits (like real streetwear and not SWD) look best with new sneakers, such as very crisp AF1s or Jordans.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think some streetwear outfits (like real streetwear and not SWD) look best with new sneakers, such as very crisp AF1s or Jordans.
edit: I can't read

True, that's the one case I can think of but that's pretty circumscribed

Last edited:

blacklight

Reaction score
we don’t do dirty kicks man. That’s a no no
I see it in the treatment of Air Forces across different groups in the street and it's one of the most interesting things in street style to me. I know dudes who won't wear the same pair of uptowns more than five times, others who have 20+ pairs of them. First scuff or crease and they're gone. Vastly different things being signaled even with the same shoes.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've noticed an increasing number of Discord channels set up for fashion. What are the benefits of doing a Discord, rather than keeping to forums? I assume it's better for discussion than IG, but why are discussions migrating to Discords?

blacklight

Reaction score
you can control access and they're far less judgmental as you're much less likely to end up in some loser's "look at this" post
collects brand enthusiasts in a closed channel, not infrequently including SAs who might be able to help you out with discounts and hunting stuff down
many people are already gamers and it's easy to just switch across your channels

a bit more intimate generally. people can't just search it up and see that you spent $3000 on artisanal distressed chanclas or whatever

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers

• Desert Boots

• Sandals

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members