• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
Bourdieu co-wrote Les Héritiers, Les étudiants et la culture in 1964 and wrote La Distinction in 1979, they're important books for a certain strain of sociology and widely used in social critique but you're better off employing their approach to analyze anew than repeating their conclusions verbatim. You guys need to calm the fuck down with the elites have elite taste and everyone emulates that shit with a top down distribution. You'll also note that Bourdieu at his most deterministic never affirmed that subjects did not sincerely possess the taste for Beethoven and Cicero or whatever that they claimed to have. My own mother is super happy if I put on some Arabian folk song or 70s french pop or even some Sade, this isn't the 1920s and even the racism that another poster mentioned would usually take on a non-hierarchical (i.e. differential) nature.

Good discussion hey no hate, just saying if you guys are like all erect about working class (usually non-white) cowboy retro virility and Ivy meets Northeastern black street-style you're not special or an early adopter, pretty much every actually existing poster on the MC side is engaging in similar working class lionization. just with different stuff.
I can never tell if your intention is to impress others with pseudo-intellectual drivel like this or if you're sincerely unaware of how unintelligible your posts are.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I can never tell if your intention is to impress others with pseudo-intellectual drivel like this or if you're sincerely unaware of how unintelligible your posts are.
WTF this isn't "pseudo-intellectual" it is super straightforward and easy to grasp if you know the refs, which several poasters did since they mentioned Bourdieu etc. Honestly dude maybe it just wasn't for you. I can't account for everyone's background when posting, this was not at all a fucking recondite poast as Bourdieu's theories have seeped into the mainstream (much like Freud's) but I mean if you don't have any idea what i'm talking about either move on or go buy La Distinction, it is an interesting read.

Short explanation: culture isn't just top down anymore like often seen in older studies, hell we could argue it never was. MCers with pretentious Latin names like anus horribilis or whatever are probably also into blues cause it's so authentic or other products of ethnic minorities and/or (usually and) working class people. I'm sure we could ask the question of delays between the initial cultural practice and adoption, which @dieworkwear did.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
WTF this isn't "pseudo-intellectual" it is super straightforward and easy to grasp if you know the refs, which several poasters did since they mentioned Bourdieu etc. Honestly dude maybe it just wasn't for you.

Short explanation: culture isn't just top down anymore, hell we could argue it never was. MCers with pretentious Latin names like anus horribilis or whatever are probably also into blues cause it's so authentic or other products of ethnic minorities and/or (usually and) working class people. I'm sure we could ask the question of delays between the initial cultural practice and adoption, which @dieworkwear did.
I don't think I ever said that culture is "just top down?"

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I don't think I ever said that culture is "just top down?"
I'm just not convinced even MCers are that into a purely upper classes imitation approach with disdain for lower class signs or something of the sort. There's probably like a 10% of finance bros on the MC side who play a rap hit about balling when they get their yearly bonus and frequent elevated burger bars. Maybe they also don't wear "lower class" clothing themselves but feel super positive when the village they go to in spain is super authentic peasant and admire the purity of their lifestyle or something of the sort.

BTW I mainly tagged you concerning your mention of delays between the initial cultural practice and their adoption by Mcers.

Last edited:

bry2000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nyarlathotep

Reaction score
Ah, MC stands for 'menswear classic' For a second I thought what do bikers have to do with any of this?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Ah, MC stands for 'menswear classic' For a second I thought what do bikers have to do with any of this?
I should have said CMers, maybe the forum used to be called MC and it stuck in my mind?

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, the ol’ “I don’t get it, so it must be dumb” approach.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.