• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

FlowableFill

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's a barrier to entry thing. You can get a decent pair of goodyear welted shoes for $200-300 new. Getting a suit, sport coat, trousers, etc. can be pretty expensive. And shoes are pretty interchangeable outfit-wise. Contrary to the conventional wisdom on this website, most people don't really care if someone wears oxfords with jeans.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I admit to really getting into shoes about five years ago. But then I just stopped because a) I now have more shoes than my wife and b) guys tend to view them as stand alone items when the exact opposite is true.
Kinda the same way for me. I find that a lot of “grail” type items guys often view in isolation and don’t consider anything else. Leather jackets, watches, shoes and boots - more recently stuff like JMM sunglasses (especially the Frontier ones). There doesn’t seem to be much thought about how something will work with a certain vibe or overall aesthetic.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@d4nimal, @UrbanComposition I try my best to buy things that work into my wardrobe. A few years back yeah I bought stuff that I had to build around or have to buy things that are only from a particular designer that works together. As of late I mix all sorts of ****, haven’t had too many misses these days but that’s all due to the journey, had I not experienced these issues I wouldn’t know how to do things better.

as always I love CCP leather jackets,how often would I wear them over a modern rider? Would they work in my wardrobe probably not so I look from Afar.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kinda the same way for me. I find that a lot of “grail” type items guys often view in isolation and don’t consider anything else. Leather jackets, watches, shoes and boots - more recently stuff like JMM sunglasses (especially the Frontier ones). There doesn’t seem to be much thought about how something will work with a certain vibe or overall aesthetic.
On the SWD side, sometimes. But what baffles me on the CM side is guys who have 200 pairs of nearly identical shoes that all go with everything they have (except the crazy neon green ones). More power to them but that many barely discernible choices would drive me nuts!

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1616554792539.png

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eels like the CM side of the forum is just about shoes at this point.
As someone who likes both sides of the forum because it satisfies my split personality style wise I tend to agree with this.

I think part of it is that for a lot CM folks the most playful they get is with shoes. That, and lets be real it's way easier to talk about shoes all day then spread collar vs OCBD

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads