• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive a few pieces of Filson that are unlined. I’ve also waxed Carhartt jackets and pants in the past. Im not that worried TBH.

Really? I've always thought that was big no. Let us know how it turns out!

Jobst

Reaction score
Who makes a good merino tshirt? I have a couple from smartwool that I love and wear constantly, but they've changed the fabric on them from 87% merino to 56%.

I don't mind a little synthetic, even prefer some as it seems to make things a lot more durable. But 44% for the same price is taking the piss.

itsaboutamerica

Reaction score
1607380284700.png

Looking for pants like those pictured here. Been trawling through a bunch of different fatigues and carpenter pants from the likes of Stan Ray and Orslow but yet to really find what I'm looking for. Any recs?

tailoredtech

Reaction score

ShoutOutsFoMyBo

Reaction score
jumping on the merino t recs.. seems like most of these things have an athletic cut. long and slim. i prefer my tees looser and shorter, any options out there?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
DWW recommended Woolx. Loving my 400g wool leggings so far and have a L/S incoming. Looks long in the body. Short sleeves may be the same.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any other alternatives to the FIlson Small Duffle I should be looking at for a office day bag. Some reason I'm hauling loads of stuff with me, I sort of like it, got a rainjacket laptop lunch headphones gym clothes / running clothes. Get packed up and ready for the day.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're crazy! I just got a pair of Michaels, and they are the most fantastic dad shoe ever.

As an aside, I had a similar shoe, but monkstrap, that were my grandfather's as he was from the Tyrolean Alps.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any other alternatives to the FIlson Small Duffle I should be looking at for a office day bag. Some reason I'm hauling loads of stuff with me, I sort of like it, got a rainjacket laptop lunch headphones gym clothes / running clothes. Get packed up and ready for the day.
I have this in navy. Had it for long time and has been my go to for work. I think it may fit everything, some of the clothes may end up bagged up but should stay in place between the straps when in use.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've finally come to the conclusion that my KS traveler coat only looks good with Blundstones and Tyrol shoes. I'll prolly get Blunnies first. How do you size them? I'm a Brannock 8.5 and 8 in Alden's Barrie last.

a sizing consideration, half sizes on blundstones are just wider versions of the same length, like a 8.5 blundstone is just a wide size 8.

I'd think about doing a helmet bag. the porter ones are always tempting but $$$$. or you could do one of the more office-oriented filsons, like the 258. but the small duffle is not a bad idea.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd think about doing a helmet bag. the porter ones are always tempting but $$$$. or you could do one of the more office-oriented filsons, like the 258. but the small duffle is not a bad idea.

I'll second the helmet bag suggestion.

I used to use a Filson small duffle for the gym, and while it was functional, it has more structure than I like for stuffing into my locker and it's a little on the heavy side when fully loaded. A few years ago I pulled out my old USMC pilot's helmet bag and decided to start using that for the gym. I had forgotten how much gear you can stuff in there and how pliable it is: it looks relatively small but I have no trouble stuffing in a change of clothes, a small dopp kit, my running shoes or cycling shoes, shower shoes, a towel, and a sweater. After I was reminded of how useful it was I went to a local military surplus store and bought a second one and swapped the one from the surplus store for gym duty and began using my old one (with sentimental value) as a tote bag to go to and from the office or as a carry-on bag when traveling.

If you want something a little nicer than the <$20 ones you can get from eBay or a surplus store, these days there are a bunch of companies selling higher end ones if that's more your speed.

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the recommendation for the helmet bag.

I got mine for the princely sum of $39 shipped from www.flighthelmet.com (who knew!). Looks pretty crappy in the awful product shots on the website, but it had been recommended so took a chance it it's surprisingly nice. Not lux but a lot of bag for $39. I got mine in navy. Highly recommended.

This is the awful website photo lightened up a bit so it's closer to the real thing:

20170900 Military flight helmet bag navy blue.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads