• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Please visit ou very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are posted, including the latest, updated, very comprehensive, Styleforum Black Friday Sales List

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

gardenvariety

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Im looking for a water resistant sneaker and if anyone here have recommendations on what worked for them? I’m into the classic tennis shoe silhouette so nothing super chunky.

or is too oxymoronic to ask?
Didn't they make goretex stan smiths?

My friend has some of the goretex chucks and likes them

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, all. I do have some hiking boots which are great for strong downpours, but for drizzly days or just slick commute around town, flat sneakers aren't sufficient.

I'll take a look at some GORE-TEX collaborations and see where it takes me.

cb200

Reaction score
I've had a pair of waterproof leather chuck hightops from a couple of seasons ago that have served me very well. Very waterproof, neoprene inner boot, tongue gusset, and look pretty normal. A quick look for a link and it looks like it's discontinued. The utility line they have looks fairly similar but beefed up a bit. I can't comment on the performance. The old one's leather was backed and did amazing with wet conditions and the gusset worked. Too bad they are gone. I would 100% rebuy one... looks like I'll be on the hunt too.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a pair of Moonstar All Weather high tops that I like. They're rubberized and thus waterproof, at least at the bottom. They are kind of goofy looking, but I think go well with slightly offbeat workwear brands such as Engineered Garments. They can also be worn with some CM type stuff, so long as you're not doing a sport coat. Drake's used to sell them and I think they go well with their look. They come in a bunch of colors, but here's white and green

103034873_o2.jpg
MoonstarNCCoats_LREdits-1439_1200x1200.jpg

Kal Varnsen

Reaction score
Thanks, all. I do have some hiking boots which are great for strong downpours, but for drizzly days or just slick commute around town, flat sneakers aren't sufficient.

I'll take a look at some GORE-TEX collaborations and see where it takes me.
How about water resistant? Muji makes them, although I don't know anything else beside that.

e0d9n0b5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
muji sneakers are great. don't think they're especially good in water or anything, but it rains plenty here and i still wear em.

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
How about water resistant? Muji makes them, although I don't know anything else beside that.

The Muji sneakers aren't that water resistant, in my experience. I didn't notice them being particularly better in a drizzle than my Chucks. Pretty comfy and and decent to walk around in, though. I like their knit ones for summer.

OccultaVexillum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still love mine, and was wearing them a few days ago before it started to get too cold here. Whatever happened to Snowman?
yeah I still wear mine a lot which is why I’m always looking for a back up pair. I wish Dan still made clothes in some capacity.

Racing Green

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Im looking for a water resistant sneaker and if anyone here have recommendations on what worked for them? I’m into the classic tennis shoe silhouette so nothing super chunky.

or is too oxymoronic to ask?
Gore-Tex Stan Smiths. I got a pair last winter and they worked a treat. Love them.

peachfuzzmcgee

Reaction score
Never did quite like Mayhem. Even less now that hipsters seem to think that black metal is cool.
Black Metal has always been a hipster genre, and I can’t be convinced otherwise. If by hipster we mean a bunch of music nerds into underground whatever, I don’t think that has ever changed.

also Varg is an absolute piece of shit.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Mysteriis.." is a complete classic, but Mayhem were never my favorites either. Always partial to Burzum and Satyricon (from the norse second wave).

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Metal has always been a hipster genre, and I can’t be convinced otherwise. If by hipster we mean a bunch of music nerds into underground whatever, I don’t think that has ever changed.

also Varg is an absolute piece of shit.
This is complete nonsense, you have no idea what you are talking about.

edit: if you with hipster mean "elitist", sure.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's