• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Oldsrocket27

Reaction score
Was not going to post this after writing but it has been tugging at me for a while now...

I’m not interested in minimalism, this isn’t the point. Also, I know this topic gets hashed out all the time but this year is good as any to revisit. I wonder if there is anymore to add or have we beaten this to death?

Some relevant threads:
THE CONTENTEDNESS THREAD
DISCUSSIONS ABOUT THE FASHION INDUSTRY THREAD
HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT SPENDING MONEY ON NON-ESSENTIAL GOODS DURING THE COVID-19 CRISIS?
CONSUME

hendrix

Ill-proportioned
Reaction score
Was not going to post this after writing but it has been tugging at me for a while now...

I’m not interested in minimalism, this isn’t the point. Also, I know this topic gets hashed out all the time but this year is good as any to revisit. I wonder if there is anymore to add or have we beaten this to death?

Some relevant threads:
THE CONTENTEDNESS THREAD
DISCUSSIONS ABOUT THE FASHION INDUSTRY THREAD
HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT SPENDING MONEY ON NON-ESSENTIAL GOODS DURING THE COVID-19 CRISIS?
The simple answer is that you won't get what you're looking for here. It's been attempted quite a few times to bring some level of balance and it just gets overwhelmed every time.

No fashion forum or blog is capable of having an honest conversation about this. These fora are places for personal and professional advertising. I'm not saying that's a bad thing - nothing wrong with that at all, it just is what it is.

troika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with you @hendrix, but perhaps for a different reason. I just think any conversation like that deserves details and serious consideration if we are to have meaningful discourse.

Five closets is way too many, I think that's obvious. But how can we recommend anything other than "get rid of shit" in a meaningful way? Short of us getting on a zoom call and live-kondo-ing with Toasty, I doubt anything can come of any type of written dialogue.

I had a half dozen convos with Toasty about which consigner would work for his needs, and the pros/cons of using one. We've seen the imgur lists of annual cops.

@gettoasty if you're serious, let's have a serious convo.

bry2000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Repurposing clothes into wall art is a step too far and not a great solution to your underlying struggle.

I feel your angst, but you offer a solution in the last sentence: “I do not think I ever really missed anything that was let go.”

whorishconsumer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with you @hendrix, but perhaps for a different reason. I just think any conversation like that deserves details and serious consideration if we are to have meaningful discourse.

Five closets is way too many, I think that's obvious. But how can we recommend anything other than "get rid of shit" in a meaningful way? Short of us getting on a zoom call and live-kondo-ing with Toasty, I doubt anything can come of any type of written dialogue.

I had a half dozen convos with Toasty about which consigner would work for his needs, and the pros/cons of using one. We've seen the imgur lists of annual cops.

@gettoasty if you're serious, let's have a serious convo.
(At the risk of seeming insensitive, where might I view record of these epic cops? Keep in mind my handle.)

Luellwitz

Reaction score
Repurposing clothes into wall art is a step too far and not a great solution to your underlying struggle.

I feel your angst, but you offer a solution in the last sentence: “I do not think I ever really missed anything that was let go.”
I had a similar epiphany with my record collection. At one point I had 5000 records which was more than anyone can listen to in a reasonable amount of time. They were just things sitting on a shelf. More burden, less enjoyment. Once I committed to getting rid of them (and I am currently still in the process) it was liberating. To echo bry2000, I have not regretted selling a single one. Granted I have slowly and thoughtfully culled them over the last seven years. I am now down to 1700 with a goal of less than 1000. There is something elegant about a small curated collection, where as a large one seems clunky and overwhelming.

whorishconsumer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
way worse, completely white, not off white, like shining white, and floor is white too, all smooth, like in a void

edit: the only thing not white are
1. mirror...
2. SA...

but the SA looks all about to jump tomorrow as well, this was in 2012? I don't think they're around anymore, or I never want to step around there ever...
I had a similar epiphany with my record collection. At one point I had 5000 records which was more than anyone can listen to in a reasonable amount of time. They were just things sitting on a shelf. More burden, less enjoyment. Once I committed to getting rid of them (and I am currently still in the process) it was liberating. To echo bry2000, I have not regretted selling a single one. Granted I have slowly and thoughtfully culled them over the last seven years. I am now down to 1700 with a goal of less than 1000. There is something elegant about a small curated collection, where as a large one seems clunky and overwhelming.
I often wonder how collectors/DJs like Questlove with massive collections find time to listen to them, especially since many seem to have encyclopedic sonic knowledge.

For my part, for the brief period of my life where I was DJing, I found I would just buy the latest releases that were in the popular genres of the time, but had trouble ever giving them a meaningful listen. A lot of Detroit House. Granted, that collection never got all that large before I abandoned that pursuit, but I've found that since getting rid of most of those acquisitions and since having focused instead on buying records I actually want to listen to at home, my collection is much more accessible to me.

Although, with Rona I have taken up bulk-buying again, many of them singles and EPs. The difference being that these are tracks that I have long appreciate, most of them having come from old Solid Steel radio broadcasts. Still, I am wary of crossing that bridge into inaccessibility once again.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I often wonder how collectors/DJs like Questlove with massive collections find time to listen to them, especially since many seem to have encyclopedic sonic knowledge.

For my part, for the brief period of my life where I was DJing, I found I would just buy the latest releases that were in the popular genres of the time, but had trouble ever giving them a meaningful listen. A lot of Detroit House. Granted, that collection never got all that large before I abandoned that pursuit, but I've found that since getting rid of most of those acquisitions and since having focused instead on buying records I actually want to listen to at home, my collection is much more accessible to me.

Although, with Rona I have taken up bulk-buying again, many of them singles and EPs. The difference being that these are tracks that I have long appreciate, most of them having come from old Solid Steel radio broadcasts. Still, I am wary of crossing that bridge into inaccessibility once again.
I think a rather significant part of having a lot of clothes, tons of records, or amassing a lot of anything, for that matter, is the desire for choice/selection. We think we need a lot from which to choose. This might be outfits to wear (a sweatshirt for flights, multiple colors of "vacation" shirts, several pairs of the same looking jeans in slightly different cuts), what want to listen to, what to eat, etc. The fact is, however, that we don't need all that many choices/options to feel like we're actually making a decision and to have enough variety. Barry Schwartz has written some interesting stuff on this and he also gave a TED Talk on the topic. But he basically says that you only really need a few things from which to choose, or else you can become anxious and it ceases to be an actual thoughtful decision that will lead to happiness/fulfillment.

whorishconsumer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a rather significant part of having a lot of clothes, tons of records, or amassing a lot of anything, for that matter, is the desire for choice/selection. We think we need a lot from which to choose. This might be outfits to wear (a sweatshirt for flights, multiple colors of "vacation" shirts, several pairs of the same looking jeans in slightly different cuts), what want to listen to, what to eat, etc. The fact is, however, that we don't need all that many choices/options to feel like we're actually making a decision and to have enough variety. Barry Schwartz has written some interesting stuff on this and he also gave a TED Talk on the topic. But he basically says that you only really need a few things from which to choose, or else you can become anxious and it ceases to be an actual thoughtful decision that will lead to happiness/fulfillment.
To the extent that one gives thought to what they wear, and unless they have crafted an identity based upon a uniform, the lack of choice leads to boredom in its redundancy. For me, it also leads to anxiety, as I panic in thinking "I don't have anything to wear that is appropriate to X activity I am doing", but that's an outcome of my how I was raised.

By contrast, I can see how a panoply of choice can itself lead to decision paralysis. In my case, I conveniently overlook what I have in the constant pursuit for novelty and the next "better" thing, so the anxiety is more in the obligation I set on myself to seek out that next thing. Once you get into customizations, as I've recently found, that anxiety is only amplified.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Solid Steel was great

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami