• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a friend whose mother self published books her whole life, generally being lucky to break even. Then she went down the list of Appreciation catagories on something like xnxx top to bottom and wrote short novels focusing on each individual one. They now live in a 4 million dollar house in Laguna Beach.

Phrost

Reaction score
I certainly hope you won’t.

But things are looking bad. I’m from Spain. We’re around 47M people, top ten health care system in the world according to WHO. And the health care system is already collapsing in some areas, the damn bug just puts too many people in need of intensive care, there’s no health care system im the world that can handle it. Hence the full lock down, which is incredibly bad for the economy. Many companies here have applied for a thing called ERTE, which is basically a way to temporarily lay off people. But for many employees it won’t be temporary, and many companies will never open again. These people were 10 days ago going about their life and having fun and drinks in pubs despite the bad news coming from Italy.

Most optimistic forecasts here are an additional 1M unemployed people before the end of the year. We’re a country very reliant on tourism (the % of the total GDP of the country) and whereas in other places the economy might be very different (and so much stronger, like in the US), things will be bad everywhere.

I was reading a post in Hacker News this week (people working in IT will have probably heard of it), from people that are being let go. People having cushy jobs well into 6 figures. And we’re not talking about a few startups going under, that was normal, because 3 startups were created for every 2 closing down. Now it’ll happen to successful/promising startups, many of them reliant on selling services or products to other startups that will shut down. VC funding will be pretty much over. Even giants like Apple or Google letting people go is definitely not out of the question (Apple won’t sell as many $1k phones, Google, FB etc will get income from ads reduced...) so probably no one will be hiring. I’m using IT as an example because it’s what I know better and a sector which is prime example full of people where the idea of finding themselves unemployed for extended periods of time never really crossed their minds. Very very few sectors will be truly safe.

Sorry to sound so grim and I certainly hope that in the near future I look back at this post and think “thank god I was wrong and it wasn’t so bad”.
It’s crazy but realistically grim how the economic downtown from this virus will affect every industry. When you look at it, the livelihoods of a lot of white & blue collar jobs are threatened.

I’m in NYC, a big tourist & service industry city. It was obvious that a huge chunk of service industry workers would be one of the first to be laid off. It’s heartbreaking, but expected once the city forced restaurants to do take-out/delivery only & non-essential businesses to close.

I have friends in relatively safe white collar jobs like advertising and IT that have fortunately been able to work from home. But if this pandemic lasts for months through the summer, which I think it will, companies will undoubtedly feel the crunch & be forced to lay off staff.

IMO the only industries that will be exponentially growing in demand in the near future is the healthcare field & the industries that support it & essentials like food & home supplies.

It breaks my heart when I read articles about healthcare workers on the frontlines saying they’re running out of PPE. Things are really bad when the CDC is telling healthcare workers to use bandanas or scarves if they run out of masks...

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a friend whose mother self published books her whole life, generally being lucky to break even. Then she went down the list of Appreciation catagories on something like xnxx top to bottom and wrote short novels focusing on each individual one. They now live in a 4 million dollar house in Laguna Beach.

Holy cow, that’s inspiring. John Gardner thought to succeed at that, you’d need “an authentic junk mind”...but I dunno. Maybe the internet changed things.

brb, off to Google xnxx...

shopcanoeclub

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
8A58C12F-057E-4DB1-B6A6-A4F125D18548.jpeg

as a fashion thought I certainly regret not picking up this Kapital coat from a cool vintage store in Sante Fe when I was there recently

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It turns out that I have both an authentic junk mind and a 90K+ subscriber list.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sante Fe Dry Goods is a legit good store for your slightly boho signficant other: https://santafedrygoods.com/
Santa Fe Dry Goods is a remarkable luxury women's shop along with their more eclectic offerings next door at Workshop. They also have a wonderful home decor store called Wildlife that you will find on their website. If anyone is interested in Native American weavings and jewelry, perhaps the best gallery in the entire USA is Shiprock (right above Santa Fe Dry Goods). Check out their website (or give them a call to discuss pieces) https://www.shiprocksantafe.com (it's a "must" see for any visit to Santa Fe. And, if you want some of the best pre-1940's Navajo jewelry check out Don at https://www.chipetatrading.com and follow him on Instagram for daily deals and specials. His prices are good as he doesn't run a regular overhead shop.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Santa Fe Dry Goods is a remarkable luxury women's shop along with their more eclectic offerings next door at Workshop. They also have a wonderful home decor store called Wildlife that you will find on their website. If anyone is interested in Native American weavings and jewelry, perhaps the best gallery in the entire USA is Shiprock (right above Santa Fe Dry Goods). Check out their website (or give them a call to discuss pieces) https://www.shiprocksantafe.com (it's a "must" see for any visit to Santa Fe. And, if you want some of the best pre-1940's Navajo jewelry check out Don at https://www.chipetatrading.com and follow him on Instagram for daily deals and specials. His prices are good as he doesn't run a regular overhead shop.

Hmmm I've been bandying about finding my own conchos for a custom leather or maybe another western shirt from Tony Shirtmakers...

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm I've been bandying about finding my own conchos for a custom leather or maybe another western shirt from Tony Shirtmakers...

I would start with Don at Chipeta for vintage conchos and if you need more help DM me for other leads. There is a ton of amazing vintage Navajo stuff around Santa Fe and I can put you in touch with some of the dealers that work the local flea markets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads