• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm has there been brands, big or small, that have successfully transitioned from being in retailers to direct to consumer?

I would think social media would help in that regard. But I bet the challenge is cultivating an audience willing to buy your stuff.

There’s so much stuff out there that it’s probably difficult to stand out and differentiate yourself, especially in clothing.

gustin was sold in stores for a while and then legit went d2c with the wholesale price

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Dylan in fauve (this one), in 9.5 EU / 10.5 US (both are marked on the sole); usually wear 11 us / 44 (in cp achilles and dries for example)

Has anybody here owned or tried Carvil boots?
@Homme ?

many tips on sizing the Dylan boot or any of the Chelsea?

Last edited:

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah the Dylan boot is rad. @mmmargeologist and @Parker turned me onto them.
But I'm actually looking more at the Dylan XXL or Chelsea S with the lug soles for a winter boot.

But i'm still into the Paraboot Chamfort after seeing them in the DBF editorial. They're not nearly as cool as Carvil but.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah the Dylan boot is rad. @mmmargeologist and @Parker turned me onto them.
But I'm actually looking more at the Dylan XXL or Chelsea S with the lug soles for a winter boot.

But i'm still into the Paraboot Chamfort after seeing them in the DBF editorial. They're not nearly as cool as Carvil but.
The Dylan S looks really close to my Lemaire boots, but I like the XXL a lot.

Phrost

Reaction score
I don’t know anything about Private White VC. But what’s the difference between them and say an Everlane or Jomers?

To my uneducated eyes, they all use cost transparency and ethical manufacturing as marketing points for their brands. Is it because Private White is inflating numbers or that they went back on their marketing/pricing strategy of no sales?

Does Private White still sell to retailers or are they strictly direct to customer now?

I read the Jomers founder say he runs his business with a low single-digit profit margin. That’s insane to me and can’t possibly be sustainable. I wonder if he’s being funded by VC’s or private investors.

If I had to guess, the long-term strategy is to eventually get bought out by a large conglomerate.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I read that — like Drakes — they were just a fabric manufacturer that became a small brand competing with their clients? And they have the *made right here in wherever* angle to appeal to the quasi-racist tendencies of the buyer?

I could be wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics