• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

a leather sculpture with the capacity to age.

Not sure if trolling? ;DDDDDDD
A work of art has meaning and interest only for someone who possesses the cultural competence, that is, the code, into which it is encoded. (Bourdieu)

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

A work of art has meaning and interest only for someone who possesses the cultural competence, that is, the code, into which it is encoded. (Bourdieu)

I used my decoder ring to uncover the real message:

"we cannot help but absent-mindedly categorise, gauge and assess the way people are dressed. There’s no way you will spot more than a few decent shoes in the course of one day in the city. the sneaker shoe has become the pervasive norm of casualness. ubiquitous emblem for people who want to flaunt their urban flair with a hint of rebellious attitude a leather sculpture with the capacity to age. what makes a shoe a show-stopper is its design. consumerism has replaced maintenance and skills well-maintained quality shoes quietly shining at the end of your leg add a smiling glow to an outfit,"

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The next article will be about overcoats, and how choosing instead weatherproof Arcteryx anoraks reveals the wearer’s deviant misanthropy and propensity for baby seal clubbing.
As a wearer of Arc'teryx, I can attest that this is true, though I object to the editorial "deviant".

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like to see folks here in DC wear Arc'teryx jackets that are rated for Himalayan mountain climbing but all they do is go from their Lincoln Navigators to Whole Foods on a cold day.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tbh I haven't found any correlation between the price of socks and how long they last, Falke or Pantherella get holes just as fast as the cheapo Bamboo ones that come in 10-packs.

Yeah, I find it annoying how even more expensive socks need to be babied. I do find that hang drying them increases their lifespan significantly. It'd probably be good to hand wash too, but uh...**** that.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Surely Bourdieu means that cultural competence is the key to that code — not the code itself. Sloppy thinking. SAD!

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to see folks here in DC wear Arc'teryx jackets that are rated for Himalayan mountain climbing but all they do is go from their Lincoln Navigators to Whole Foods on a cold day.
Meh, people use all sorts of clothes outside of their original context and adopt things that aren't theirs. This jargon of authenticity is mostly incoherent - I mean ever see a monk wear a pair of double monks?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh, people use all sorts of clothes outside of their original context and adopt things that aren't theirs. This jargon of authenticity is mostly incoherent - I mean ever see a monk wear a pair of double monks?
I know, just being silly, but really thinking about the $$$. Like wearing a Kiton suit to an insurance seminar in Iowa.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Originally intended to be worn by four monastic robes.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm actually fine with making light of outdoor gear out of context. Just wanted to make a bad joke about double monks. Two descriptions I've heard of wearing outdoor gear out of context from people in the outdoor industry describing that kind of customer: Metro-technical and Technical brunch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads