• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
y'all out here selling used clothes at 95% of the retail price and wondering why barneys starting a sale on brand new clothes at 5% off
Yeah but my used clothes were specifically curated by someone with taste. Buying my stuff at 95% retail is conscious consumerism because:

a) it helps immigrant refugee (me)
b) used clothes is ethical
c) Barneys should burn

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirt jacket recommendations half way between camping and hipster city boy?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is Barneys gonna be like one of thos Grailed sales where everyday the seller lowers the price by 5%?

I just went by the SF store and it was kinda sad.

qubed

Reaction score
Why was it sad? No one there, or just despair in air?

Is Barneys gonna be like one of thos Grailed sales where everyday the seller lowers the price by 5%?

I just went by the SF store and it was kinda sad.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Listening to gdl's podcast appearance. There seems to be a lot of of fashion podcasts.

@gdl203 You briefly touch upon certain products imitating the surface style of traditional suiting and it being somewhat problematic. Can you expand on that? You carry a lot of Japanese brands obviously inspired by trad euro tailoring but that is certainly not what you mean, you're def not closed minded when it comes to origins, borrowing (cultural appropriation hah!) etc. so what is "wrong" from a certain point of view with these other imitations? I'm sure some MC people know but I haven't been following so I dunno their flaws/ethical issues/how deep the borrowing goes/is it merely surface detail with shit construction/is it straight up copies/etc.

Last edited:

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why was it sad? No one there, or just despair in air?
More just a personal reaction. I have a soft spot for Barneys. the stores were always nice places to browse. Good interior design, and I liked their old ad campaigns (Glenn o’Brien writing and Delhomme illustration). It,s more like ‘end of an era’ sadness. I’m not really that invested in the biz side. The SF store will probably become a WeWork or Zara or something.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 85 17.7%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 154 32.0%
  • 8”

Votes: 140 29.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 54 11.2%
  • 9”

Votes: 24 5.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.3%