• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, but reached notoriety , as well as establishing the archetypical sound, with the second wave. Never liked the first wave stuff myself, too much heavy metal.

Agree about the sound.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The loudest shows I've seen are my bloody valentine and swans. Earplugs are not enough at a swans show.

Exact same experience. Swans are punishing, but every MBV show I’ve been to has, at least in some part of the set, sounded like the launch of a rocket into space. Both bands know how to play with dynamics as well and make it worth the price of admission.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure how the subject came to this but of the big 4 Seattle bands that rose to the top in the 90s I always favored Alice in Chains and Soundgarden. I listened to bad morotfinger and superunknown dozens of times. I remember Chris Cornell hung himself during the month i was on paternity leave. The event especially saddened me because it seemed like he got past the problems and was going to be around for a while. I wholeheartedly expected to go see them live. Ever since then i have made attempts to go to the shows of majority of musicians i like. You never know with age and metal wellness who may not be around, gotta appreciate it while it's there. FWIW Cornell was and still is my favorite voice in rock music.

its crazy how out of all of these guys, mac miller, chester, kobain, cornell, and anyone else I missed. The person who is still alive and kickin is Trent Reznor.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re black metal. You want loud? Go to a death/black metal concert.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
its crazy how out of all of these guys, mac miller, chester, kobain, cornell, and anyone else I missed. The person who is still alive and kickin is Trent Reznor.

Lane, You forgot Laybe (Stayley).

Regarding your point, it’s funny I just mentioned to my wife (whom is a classically trainer pianist and appreciates NIN chord progression) that Trent OD hard in 99/2000 during the fragile tour which btw 20 years for that album. Then after that tour ended he hit rock bottom and I though NIN was done. However, he came back with lots of material which quite enjoyed and saw live many times. I know easily I could been reminiscing NIN as well so I’m happy he stuck around. As I always say everything after 2004 is a privilege.

My living room, 12/3 and 12/4 shows, holographic limited edition posters.

24CAB9F9-16F9-49A0-A467-8E10C900F4CD.jpeg

DubbyThaFerrgamoCZAR

Reaction score
Dirt album is my fav rock album. Alice is my fav band. But my top 5 for artists goes

1) Marylin
2) Lane
3) David Draiman
4) Morrison
5) Bowie

Not sure how the subject came to this but of the big 4 Seattle bands that rose to the top in the 90s I always favored Alice in Chains and Soundgarden. I listened to bad morotfinger and superunknown dozens of times. I remember Chris Cornell hung himself during the month i was on paternity leave. The event especially saddened me because it seemed like he got past the problems and was going to be around for a while. I wholeheartedly expected to go see them live. Ever since then i have made attempts to go to the shows of majority of musicians i like. You never know with age and metal wellness who may not be around, gotta appreciate it while it's there. FWIW Cornell was and still is my favorite voice in rock music.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lane, You forgot Laybe (Stayley).

Regarding your point, it’s funny I just mentioned to my wife (whom is a classically trainer pianist and appreciates NIN chord progression) that Trent OD hard in 99/2000 during the fragile tour which btw 20 years for that album. Then after that tour ended he hit rock bottom and I though NIN was done. However, he came back with lots of material which quite enjoyed and saw live many times. I know easily I could been reminiscing NIN as well so I’m happy he stuck around. As I always say everything after 2004 is a privilege.

My living room, 12/3 and 12/4 shows, holographic limited edition posters.

View attachment 1245065

I just read your post while picturing Patrick Bateman talking about NIN.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're talking metal I still don't think you can beat the originals - Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just read your post while picturing Patrick Bateman talking about NIN.

Like the scene where he talks about some 80s pop band except replace with NIN lol

Does this image help

BCCC016E-442C-4A98-9528-AB3999AB65E8.jpeg

If you're talking metal I still don't think you can beat the originals - Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath for life!!!

Seen 2/3 of those live, never Zep but they all play well.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black metal is the one that tries to be all operatic and gloomy right, I been to some, got bored

Nah, I think you're talking about something else. Here are two good examples of Norwegian Black Metal from the 90s:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads