• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

hayaoyamaneko

Reaction score
Stupid question alert:

Where can I buy buttons? I have a heavy wool Lemaire winter jacket with big corozo buttons that broke and need replacing. I'm able to find shirt buttons easily but not so much larger, thicker buttons. Need something that's 30mm (black or dark brown).

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I only wear menswear earplugs.

I have a pair from Nigel Cabourn modeled after something Edmund Hillary wore during his ascent up Everest.

My Saint Laurent earplugs are too thin for my earholes. But that's how I like em.

My Kapital earplugs are cobbled together from 10 different types of other ear plugs.

My Engineered Garments earplugs come in mismatched colors. The left earplug has a small pocket.

My Vetements earplugs are just foam rollers. They also cost a billion dollars, but I'm willing to pay for them because I get the joke.

My Cucinelli earplugs are beige and made from cashmere.

My Rick earplugs come in DARK DUST. They're also hairy.

My Margiela earplugs are made from steam-bent paperclips. They're also all-white.

My J. Crew earplugs were 40% off.
Surely you have some from Drake’s as well? :cheers:

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Surely you have some from Drake’s as well?

I can imagine Derek does. Drakes purchased them directly from a top manufacturer, ie, Uline, and Drakes is known for selling them for three times retail, as a result of nebulous adjustments for Drakes, and a slightly darker hue of orange that is apparently exclusive.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hope your Cucinellis are also lined with cashmere.

(10) or is it (0), I bring them with me whenever I go out. One night of crazy loud is not worth long term hearing loss. I already lost the top range from being a stupid 20-something.

Concerts and a career filled with loud vehicles, aircraft, and things that went boom. I’ll likely be in hearing aids within the next decade. Derek’s earplug list was comprehensive but I’ll have my aids made by Zegna in their Milano fit.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(I have zero nostalgia for any 90s band. Although, to be fair, Soundgarden put out some great power pop, and Nine Inch Nails is better than you remember.)

NIN was my first big concert. With Marilyn Manson opening. I saw them again a few years ago and still had a lot of fun. Trent's a pretty great musician even if that isn't really my genre anymore.

Alexidb

Reaction score
Bringing it back to the Goth/Peter Murphy discussion earlier:

I saw NIN open for Bowie, instead of a set break they just started trading musicians, the swap ended with Bowie’s band backing Trent and Bowie playing sax and then Trent playing keyboard for Bowie.
I still have a bootleg some where of the Bowie set, it ends with Trent singing Scary Monsters and Bowie singing Hurt.

NIN was my first big concert. With Marilyn Manson opening. I saw them again a few years ago and still had a lot of fun. Trent's a pretty great musician even if that isn't really my genre anymore.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can imagine Derek does. Drakes purchased them directly from a top manufacturer, ie, Uline, and Drakes is known for selling them for three times retail, as a result of nebulous adjustments for Drakes, and a slightly darker hue of orange that is apparently exclusive.
giphy.gif

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Stupid question alert:

Where can I buy buttons? I have a heavy wool Lemaire winter jacket with big corozo buttons that broke and need replacing. I'm able to find shirt buttons easily but not so much larger, thicker buttons. Need something that's 30mm (black or dark brown).

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid question alert:

Basically what Etsy was made for:

Here are black ones:

But there are tons of options.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I found myself wondering the last time I was buying some buttons: is there a big difference in quality between buttons? If I grab some horn buttons from some cheapy place off ebay, are they likely to be appreciably worse than if I went somewhere that specializes in nice buttons?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You know, I found myself wondering the last time I was buying some buttons: is there a big difference in quality between buttons? If I grab some horn buttons from some cheapy place off ebay, are they likely to be appreciably worse than if I went somewhere that specializes in nice buttons?

I've seen people talk about different types of qualities in mother of pearl buttons, and sometimes even grading. But my sense is that in a crowded market, many of these people are just trying to differentiate themselves. Aside from aesthetics, which are important, most mother-of-pearl buttons seem to be of the same "quality" (meaning, they all seem to be of equal durability). I imagine that's true of horn and other materials. When I choose buttons at my local supplier, Britex, I just search for things that I think look good (a reason to shop for these in person, if you can).

FWIW, many Savile Row tailors use RJ Weldon for their trims, although I don't know if they sell to the public.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
This dismissal of 90s music is stupid.

You had all those droning acts like Mogwai, Godspeed you black emperor etc.
Trip hop if you're into that (the number of people who had sex to Portishead is mind boggling)
Sonic youth kept releasing good stuff and grunge bands followed up
Pavement, Primal scream :)
Silver Jews were around (RIP)
All these kinda upper middle brow bands electro acts like Boards of Canada, Amon Tobin or Autechre released their best inputs.
Techno as we know it emerged and hip hop became ascendant
Blur, Pulp and all those brit assholes
Church burning Norwegians invented black metal
Shoegaze with My bloody valentine and assorted acts

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This dismissal of 90s music is stupid.

You had all those droning acts like Mogwai, Godspeed you black emperor etc.
Trip hop if you're into that (the number of people who had sex to Portishead is mind boggling)
Sonic youth kept releasing good stuff and grunge bands followed up
Pavement, Primal scream :)
Silver Jews were around (RIP)
All these kinda upper middle brow bands electro acts like Boards of Canada, Amon Tobin or Autechre released their best inputs.
Techno as we know it emerged and hip hop became ascendant
Blur, Pulp and all those brit assholes
Church burning Norwegians invented black metal
Shoegaze with My bloody valentine and assorted acts

YES

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads