1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Random Anime thoughts.

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by brad-t, Dec 8, 2014.

1. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

On the contrary, I find Gachaman to be a solid nine on the Proustian Recovery Scale, and viewing that image^ alone just knocked loose whole chunks of my Sunday school experience, time spent behind the see-saws arguing with girls in flowery dresses the merits of heroes with non-laser-based weapons.

Maybe it wasn't so technically advanced, I dunno. But it feels right. :D

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  2. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

But why did Spectra, led by Zoltar (?), always only attack with one weapon at a time?

They would attack with a very advanced spaceship that almost always had its design based upon an insect or animal and, just as it seemed that Jason, Princess, Tiny etc were going to be defeated, they would snatch victory from the jaws of defeat and trounce the enemy, leaving Zoltar to blast off in an escape pod of some kind.

It always seemed to me that if only Spectra saved up its resources and if it attacked with two of its spaceships at once, instead of just one, it could have triumphed over G-Force pretty easily.

That said, I always enjoyed watching it after school and when I was in year 2 or 3 we loved to run around the playground, waving one arm in front of us, shouting "Transmute! Transmute!"

3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Hahaha....Honestly, though, it seems like any cartoon would crumble under that kind of scrutiny. Why did Voltron never learn to start out wholly-assembled, even though that's the only way they ever beat anyone? Why did GI Joe only have one guy for each unit? Why were they such poor marksmen?

4. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

It doesn´t matter if you´re a beginner,¿ for me, specially if your mind is more mature. I watched Evangelion when I was 13 over and over, and yeah, I had been watching anime since I was 6 but still, what I experienced watching it as a teenager would be totally different to how I´d view it if I watched it again now. i probably should like you did, since I´d likely get a (slighlty) better grasp of it all.

5. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

Man the only anime I've ever been able to sit through is this one, and that was because of Toonami (anyone else remember this circa 2001?)

[​IMG]

6. accordion

accordion Senior member

so is there a good anime that's not phil 101 but at least 400 or preferably not philosophical but just well written or something.

7. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

no

8. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

anything can be phil 400 if you make it out to be :foo:

READ BETWEEN EVERY LINE AND EVERY FRAME. THERE MUST BE MEANING!

9. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

You want crazy long battles then DBZ and Saint Seiya excell at them. Highly entertaining, not a lot of depth though. Those 2 are quite lengthy, same with Ruroni Kenshin. My top 2 are Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop, both by the same author (Shinichiro Watanabe) and quite possibly the coolest animes ever. Can´t go wrong with those two imo.
    Others I´m sure can chime in with more (and better) suggestions. I´m kinda lazy right now to think of ones I´ve watched that are not so well known/obscure.... oh yeah, maybe give Death Note a try. It poses quite an interesting moral dilemma.

10. magicalporks

magicalporks Senior member

ME!ME!ME! Is the new pinnacle of anime

(srs: FLCL is pretty excellent)

11. accordion

accordion Senior member

Quote:
    I guess I'm looking for something artistic similar to Satoshi Kon's Millennium Actress and Paprika which are my two favorite anime films out of the little I've seen. Not really looking to watch mindless action, I'm curious what this stream of consciousness evangelion thing looks like though. I don't ever remember seeing stream of consciousness in film.

12. lesamourai

lesamourai Senior member

Um...maybe try Angel's Egg?

Fixed that for you

13. thats.mana

thats.mana Senior member

Accordion try Berserk

14. Severisth

Severisth Senior member

Might not be mindless action, but still intensely action oriented (and if you do watch it, watch the original series not the three movies that came out with).

Slight derail from anime-talk: this music video strikes me as mildly SF-approved

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

15. fistinyoface

fistinyoface Senior member

Or try Paranoia Agent. It's by Satoshi Kun. I really enjoyed it.

Anyone see Attack on Titan or Death Note? Went in to both with high expectations and ended up disappointed by both.