1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Randolph Engineering Sunglasses Preferences

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sunman42000, May 9, 2010.

1. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Senior member

+2 that's the pair I have. The bayonet temples don't stay on your face.

Must depend on the shape of your face, as I've had no issues with this. I've actually found quite the opposite.

2. chevron

chevron Well-Known Member

While you're cutting corners you may as well go for American Optical Original Pilots, the original "square aviator" that came out in 1958 (I think). They go for ~$50.

3. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

While you're cutting corners you may as well go for American Optical Original Pilots, the original "square aviator" that came out in 1958 (I think). They go for ~$50.

A few points to note:

I was told by the lady in the military surplus shop that both AO and RE can lay claim to being the 'official' US supplier as the contract shifts back and forth between the two, something like Wenger and Victorinox - one is the 'original' Swiss army knife the other is the 'official'.

I had some AO ones in black. The black soon chipped off and the bayonets widened out. I've had some RE ones for a few years now and they are fine, bayonet temples still have spring.

RE are now putting their logo on (some of?) their lenses in the way Ray Ban started a few years ago.

If you really hate the lens logo there's a thread on here with instructions on how to safely remove it.

4. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

If you really hate the lens logo there's a thread on here with instructions on how to safely remove it.

[​IMG]

5. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

6. tcolberg

tcolberg Well-Known Member

Sooo, AGX or gray polarized?

7. dgr2102

dgr2102 Active Member

Sooo, AGX or gray polarized?

I'd say AGX, with gold it's a really cool look. Great glasses. Note I'd recommend sizing down a lot to get the Draper look, but you do sacrifice eye coverage.

8. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Bumping a kinda old thread... I'm interested in a pair of Randolph Engineering/American Opticals as a beater I can put a prescription on. Does anyone know any stores that I can try a pair on so I know if I want 52, 55 or 57mm? I'm in the SF/Bay Area

9. MadAboutPlaid

MadAboutPlaid Senior member

Are the REs made in the USA? I can't find the answer on their website.

10. deandbn

deandbn Senior member

I won a pair of Randolph sunglasses about 10 years ago. I was told that they were used as standard in the american airforce and that they last for ever, lifetime guarantee etc. etc.

Well after a couple of months the gold plating started peeling off so at the next airshow i waited for the sales woman to start splabbing about lasting forever and showed her mine with the gold off at 1 year. Needless to say, she had a mouth full of teeth after that.

So do yourself a favour and go buy the real thing - Raybans - logo and all - I am sure you will be pleased!

11. obiter dictum

obiter dictum Senior member

she had a mouth full of teeth after that.
    At first I thought you had punched the poor woman, but googling fortunately explained this strange expression.

the real thing - Raybans
    I don't have enough experience to say one is better than the other, I'm sure Ray-Bans are great though, but that's a load of bollocks.

12. guest

guest Senior member

they look a bit odd in pictures imo. like your eyes are far apart or you have a big nose. the strange thing is i've tried them and they fit great.

bright chrome, bayonet, mirror for me.

or

gold, skull, tan

13. ktrp

ktrp Senior member

I own both RE and ray ban. I've generally been happy with both, but there's no question my RE ones have a much better finish and look better then my ray bans. Obviously YMMV.

I can't remember which size I have, but in retrospect wished I'd gone one size larger. There are some instructions on the RE site for measuring your face, I tried to follow the instructions carefully. What I'd recommend _actually_ doing is figuring out how wide you want them to be, and pretend that was your measurement.

You could also check and see if there is a local distributor, there is one in my city right near the airport (I guess a shop targetting commercial pilots). It's pretty inconvenient for me to get to.

I have gold/skull/mirror crew chief btw. Actually I think when I ordered, crew chief only came in one size. And my head is a little on the wide side.

14. The Tall Englishman

The Tall Englishman Active Member

I won a pair of Randolph sunglasses about 10 years ago. I was told that they were used as standard in the american airforce and that they last for ever, lifetime guarantee etc. etc.

Well after a couple of months the gold plating started peeling off so at the next airshow i waited for the sales woman to start splabbing about lasting forever and showed her mine with the gold off at 1 year. Needless to say, she had a mouth full of teeth after that.

So do yourself a favour and go buy the real thing - Raybans - logo and all - I am sure you will be pleased!

I've owned REs since the mid eighties. The original pair were brilliant quality and lasted a long long time. Unfortunately, they got stolen from my brothers car in 1995. I subsequently bought two pairs which have suffered from the gold laking and from the metal inside the plastic temple-mounts going green. Hurrumph! However, I really do rate the lenses prefer to where them to anything else I have.

15. Lear

Lear Senior member

If you live in the UK, don't waste your time looking for RE in the shops. There was a time when Silvermans (Mile End) stocked them. Unfortunately, no more. Bought my last pair at Biggin Hill many years ago. The logo was a tiny but tasteful 'Randolph Engineering'. Now it;s a massive RE

I much prefer the matte chrome finish, which is understated and hard wearing. My gold finished pair are looking a little worn. Great sunglasses that can be worn with suit or jeans. Nice for those of us with large heads, who don't want the thug look associated with some square sunglasses. Size 58mm fits me fine across the face, and I don't have to worry about temple length; the bayonet arms are quite forgiving. Most other sunglasses barely reach back over my ears.

I only wish I'd bought the gray polarized, instead of ordinary gray.

Lear

16. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Bumping a kinda old thread... I'm interested in a pair of Randolph Engineering/American Opticals as a beater I can put a prescription on. Does anyone know any stores that I can try a pair on so I know if I want 52, 55 or 57mm? I'm in the SF/Bay Area

I believe Optical Underground in SF downtown carries AO. Revolver will carry RE. You should call them first, however, to make sure I'm right before you go off to those stores.

Are the REs made in the USA? I can't find the answer on their website.

They are for the most part, but some components aren't made in the US anymore, such as nosepads, so they're sourced from another country (I believe China?).

17. spider52

spider52 Well-Known Member

Rayban doesn't hold a candle to RE in any category. I find it hard to believe anybody can even compare the two. Quality = RE without a doubt.

I'm sure the decision has been made re: the OP, but the bright chrome is overkill. Matte Chrome, Grey Lense is a great combo. Gunmetal + tan is sweet too.

There was also a question about where they're made... They are manufactured in Randolph Massachusetts.

Don't go the polarized route if you plan on wearing them under a motorcycle helmet.

18. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Mine are matte silver with gray lenses. Transition well from jeans to suits. Got them to wear under my helmet but they are useless on a motorbike as above 50 mph the wind blows under them and makes your eyes stream till you are almost blind.

Randolph wearers include Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver, Viper in Top Gun, Andy Garcia in Internal Affairs and Don Draper in Mad Men.

19. Lear

Lear Senior member

Perfect combinations:

Matte chrome + gray glass

Gold frame + AGX glass

Bright chrome must be a fairly recent option.

Lear

20. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Rayban doesn't hold a candle to RE in any category. I find it hard to believe anybody can even compare the two. Quality = RE without a doubt.

I'm sure the decision has been made re: the OP, but the bright chrome is overkill. Matte Chrome, Grey Lense is a great combo. Gunmetal + tan is sweet too.

There was also a question about where they're made... They are manufactured in Randolph Massachusetts.

Don't go the polarized route if you plan on wearing them under a motorcycle helmet.

I like the bright chrome + polarized route [​IMG]

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.