• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, I'm retired and they are working at my son's house putting an in-ground pool in backyard and he wanted me to be there to take pictures as his wife wants to make an "album" of install photos so they can look at the yard destruction later in life. I basically just try to stay out of the way as the guys doing the work are really, really good. I know, having worked for a living when employed. One can tell when a pro is doing the job.
Ah ok, thanks.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Rancourt Special for Ralph Lauren. Penny Pinch Loafer in Caramel Shell Cordovan.

Rancourt Natty Shell Penny Pinch Loafers - 2019-05-31 - 1.jpg

Rancourt Natty Shell Penny Pinch Loafers - 2019-05-31 - 2.jpg

-Mike

walkinginplace

Reaction score
Looking for loafer sizing recommendations (114 last). If I’m a 10.5C or so on the Brannock and in the AE 65/5 Last, a 9.5D in Higgins Mills, a 10D in most other dress shoes, and an 10.5M in Nikes, should I be looking at 10s or 10.5s? Leaning toward 10s since loafers are generally supposed to be tighter but looking for advice.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Looking for loafer sizing recommendations (114 last). If I’m a 10.5C or so on the Brannock and in the AE 65/5 Last, a 9.5D in Higgins Mills, a 10D in most other dress shoes, and an 10.5M in Nikes, should I be looking at 10s or 10.5s? Leaning toward 10s since loafers are generally supposed to be tighter but looking for advice.

I am a 10.5C or 11B. I have been wearing 10D on my Rancourts so far. The pair above is a reference for you!

-Mike

goalaso

Reaction score
I'm curious about how the Lactae Hevea soles wear on Rancourts, but in going through the thread photos, I couldn't really find many shots of well-worn (semi-abused) Rancourts with the Lactae Hevea sole. And there was a complete absence of sole shots... Anyone have some good examples? In particular the Country sole, but I'm not picky...

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m thinking about ordering a pair of the boat shoes. Should I order the same size as I wear in Sperry AOs? Thanks!

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking about ordering a pair of the boat shoes. Should I order the same size as I wear in Sperry AOs? Thanks!
My Brooks Brothers by Rancourt Shell boat shoes are smaller than my same size Ranger mocs. If I had to order again I would have gone with my Timberland sized boat shoes, which are closer to Brannock for me.

jnik

Reaction score
I have a pair of the Ranger Mocs, on the 800 last, which is what most of their boat shoes are on and I went 1/2 down from my Sperry size. Though @Churchill W seems to have differing sizes between Rangers and boat shoes. I have also sent very similar questions to the customer service on their web site and received quick and accurate replies.

frankmartin

Reaction score
I order my brannock size measured barefoot for both 114 and 800 sized shoes. I can't size down. I have camp mocs, ranger mocs, weltline loafers, pinch pennies, and handsewn chukkas. I don't have beefrolls which most folks size down for. I don't have boat shoes either.
My feet are as wide as they can be while still measuring D width. Medium thickness socks make me measure an E width on the brannock device. I would guess maybe folks with narrowish feet could size down? I hope this helps.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They wear at a rate typical to other soles of other materials.

The Ranger, which is similar to the Country, lasted my 2 years, and I wore them pretty much everyday for 3 seasons of the year, and was walking a large dog in the city a good distance a few times a day.

I got them resoled, and now 2 years later (no dog, and wore then maybe 3 out of 4 days for 3 season of the year) and they are not yet ready for a resole.

Hope that helps.

TL;DR - Their rate of wear is not really a concern.

goalaso

Reaction score
They wear at a rate typical to other soles of other materials.

The Ranger, which is similar to the Country, lasted my 2 years, and I wore them pretty much everyday for 3 seasons of the year, and was walking a large dog in the city a good distance a few times a day.

I got them resoled, and now 2 years later (no dog, and wore then maybe 3 out of 4 days for 3 season of the year) and they are not yet ready for a resole.

Hope that helps.

TL;DR - Their rate of wear is not really a concern.

Thanks for the info. But how do they wear?
Is it a crumbly type wear that gets more ragged at the edges and picks up lint and hair like crazy (ie a plantation crepe type sole- ie boot on right below)?
Or it is closer to a gumlite or Christie or other rubber type sole, where the edge wear reflects your pronation/supination, but remains relatively sharp and hair/lint-free?
[I realize neither of these are Rancourt, but it was the only single photo that kinda showed what I was asking]
Bushacre-2-Desert-boot.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads