• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

sammy

Reaction score
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a pair of black scotch grain either pinch or welt line loafers. Anyone who owns a pair care to comment on how the scotch grain wears and holds up over time? Thanks for your feedback.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a pair of black scotch grain either pinch or welt line loafers. Anyone who owns a pair care to comment on how the scotch grain wears and holds up over time? Thanks for your feedback.
I don't have any Rancourt, but scotch grain is a hard wearing leather that's great for rain and whatnot

jnik

Reaction score
I have some Rancourt scotch grain boots, about 2 winters old now and as @madhat says, they are holding up great. Wearing them today in fact.
Very low maintenance, wipe down and brushing with a little cream polish very occasionally.

20190513_095602.jpg

frankmartin

Reaction score

no experience on Rancourt's scotch grain, but I'd go with weltline over pinch any day. :)

frankmartin

Reaction score

IMHO, the weltline loafer is just better looking than the pinch penny. Others will certainly disagree. I have one pair of each. Weltline in brown calf. Pinch in caramel shell.

The pinch penny is more casual than the weltline. Yet the weltline seems casual enough to wear whereever I might wear the pinch penny. The pinch penny usually has contrast stitching and lighter sole edges which are fine, but I am not a big fan of them.

I find the tan calf Weltline to be incredibly good looking. So much, I'm toying around with selling my carmel shell pinch pennies (8.5d BTW) to buy the tan calf Weltline pennies.

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 8.29.23 AM.png

Last edited:

frankmartin

Reaction score
I have 3 pairs of pinch pennies in shell and would take them all day every day. The antique/light welt especially.

I understand what you mean and certainly mean you no offense, but handsewns don't have a welt. The contrast stitching and lighter sole edge seems like more of a younger man's style. I would guess you're in your mid 20s to early 30s. I'm 15 to 20 years older.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMHO, the weltline loafer is just better looking than the pinch penny. Others will certainly disagree. I have one pair of each. Weltline in brown calf. Pinch in caramel shell.

The pinch penny is more casual than the weltline. Yet the weltline seems casual enough to wear whereever I might wear the pinch penny. The pinch penny usually has contrast stitching and lighter sole edges which are fine, but I am not a big fan of them.

I find the tan calf Weltline to be incredibly good looking. So much, I'm toying around with selling my carmel shell pinch pennies (8.5d BTW) to buy the tan calf Weltline pennies.

View attachment 1175821
I also prefer the aesthetics of the weltline to the pinch penny (and that to the beef roll), but I do think it skews a bit more formal (as formal as a tan penny can go). Why not caramel shell weltline? The tan is nice, but an aged caramel could be extra fantastic! :D
I understand what you mean and certainly mean you no offense, but handsewns don't have a welt. The contrast stitching and lighter sole edge seems like more of a younger man's style. I would guess you're in your mid 20s to early 30s. I'm 15 to 20 years older.
We've gotten so used to talking about GYW that I'm certain he just got sloppy and called the edge/sole a welt.
The contrast stitch probably does trend younger, but it is also a more casual style in general. And, it gives you more variety than having everything with a dark edge. Everyone has their own opinions and preferences in regards to details like this though!

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sloppy indeed. Inadvertent/incorrect substitution for edge and whatnot.

And I’m 36, for whatever that’s worth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics