• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the info. If my son can fit my Alden LHS on the Van last in 8.5D then should I go with the same size in Rancourt?

I would say that the 8.5D in the Van would be about the same as the 8.5 from Rancourt. I have one pair of shoes on the Van last and now that I think about it, these Rancourts fit about the same as my suede mocc-toe Van-lasted bulchers.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would say that the 8.5D in the Van would be about the same as the 8.5 from Rancourt. I have one pair of shoes on the Van last and now that I think about it, these Rancourts fit about the same as my suede mocc-toe Van-lasted bulchers.

Thanks again. This is very helpful. I'll try an 8.5D.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score
I was recommended a size 9D for the Rancourt beefroll loafer given that my Brannock size is 9D and I wear Alden Plaza last in 9D and Barrie last in 8.5D. I decided to get a pair from Brooks Brother's sale but they only had 8.5D left in tan, so I took a chance on it. It has arrived and the length and width appears to be good with thin socks on, and there's ample room in the toe box. The "penny strap" (I'm not sure about the proper term) is fairly tight, but I'm thinking the chromexcel would stretch a little bit. If that happens, the loafers should be a perfect fit. Does this sound like the right size for me?

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

I was recommended a size 9D for the Rancourt beefroll loafer given that my Brannock size is 9D and I wear Alden Plaza last in 9D and Barrie last in 8.5D. I decided to get a pair from Brooks Brother's sale but they only had 8.5D left in tan, so I took a chance on it. It has arrived and the length and width appears to be good with thin socks on, and there's ample room in the toe box. The "penny strap" (I'm not sure about the proper term) is fairly tight, but I'm thinking the chromexcel would stretch a little bit. If that happens, the loafers should be a perfect fit. Does this sound like the right size for me?

I decided to keep the 8.5D beefroll penny loafers. As mentioned they were pretty tight along the penny strap area (instep), but I wore it outside for the first time today and within about one hour the shoes felt comfortably snug with thin socks on. So for me the beefroll loafers, at least the chromexcel versions, works well at my Alden Barrie last size.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I received my ranger mocs yesterday from Rancourt and am really impressed with them. I got mine in the brown chromexcel and the leather is very soft and supple which is really nice. These should have a much shorter break in period than I was expecting which is good. It will be interesting to see how quickly the color begins to fade on these.
I think I am going to go ahead and pull the trigger on their cordovan beefroll loafers. They could be a nice, slightly less expensive, alternative to Alden's models.

do you mind also provide some pics of your ranger mocs? I am really interested in buying the exact model that you bought.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

do you mind also provide some pics of your ranger mocs? I am really interested in buying the exact model that you bought.

Here are a couple. The first one was from when I first received them and the second photo is from a couple of days ago. They look a bit dusty in the second photo because they are. I wear them constantly in the evenings and am usually playing in the yard with my daughter and the color of these really seem to show every piece of dust and pollen that they come in contact with. When I brush them off at the end of the day though, they look as good as new again.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here are a couple. The first one was from when I first received them and the second photo is from a couple of days ago. They look a bit dusty in the second photo because they are. I wear them constantly in the evenings and am usually playing in the yard with my daughter and the color of these really seem to show every piece of dust and pollen that they come in contact with. When I brush them off at the end of the day though, they look as good as new again.

they look so clean. just ordered my pair of ranger moc and Kyle told me should be here by May 2nd. Can't wait!! I'll post pics when I get it.

Last edited:

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

I like the pinch penny loafer, I wear 9.5D in AE Oxfords, and for loafers 9D fits me better with no heel slippage.

Should I also be looking at 9D in the pinch penny?

If sizing does not work can your return items to Rancourt, other wise with 15% off I can get the for the same price at BB:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...rchant_Id=1&Section_Id=525&Product_Id=1659593

I think 9D in Rancourt loafer would work for you. I'm a 9D on the Brannock device and wear 9D in AE 1 last, 8.5D in Alden Barrie last. The Rancourt beefroll loafer I got from Brooks Brothers in 8.5D started out pretty tight across the instep, but loosened up after about an hour where it's now comfortably snug with thin socks.

I'm pretty sure you can't return when you buy direct from Rancourt because the shoes are made to order. Getting your size nailed down from Brooks Brothers is a good way to go, I think.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When rancourt says these are "made to order" do they request anything specific , like a tracing of your feet (sounds crazy but I've heard of other makers doing this) or do they just go off the brannock measurement you give them?

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you call them they will get your sizing based on the shoes that you have. I wear 10.5E in AE Strand, 11D in McNeils and Players, 10.5D in Alden Barrie Last and they suggests me go with 11D. I haven't got my pair yet but once I get it I will post some reviews.

Kyle is the person to speak to, he's really helpful.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

if you call them they will get your sizing based on the shoes that you have. I wear 10.5E in AE Strand, 11D in McNeils and Players, 10.5D in Alden Barrie Last and they suggests me go with 11D. I haven't got my pair yet but once I get it I will post some reviews.
Kyle is the person to speak to, he's really helpful.

thanks very much for the info, will reach out to Kyle

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow navy blue and green cordovan beefrolls look amazing. never really looked into rancourt until i perused this thread

good find guys :slayer:

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^yes, their beefrolls are on my lists!

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
strange though that they say to go down half size from brannock. doesnt that mean its not TTS? or am i just confused?

cuz im a 9 brannock and take 8.5 barrie which means i should go 8.5 rancourt no?

plus since i plan on wearing these sockless, dont they stretch?

probably overthinking this but this is SF so you know :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads