• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All, first post here on this thread. I am interested in the pre-order for Harrison Boot in Natural CXL and as usual, am looking for sizing advice prior to going for the 1st pair from Rancourt.
Reference Sizes:
Alden Trubalance - US13E
Alden Barrie - US13E
Grant Stone Leo - US13E
Grant Stone Traveller Loafers - US13E (dune cxl)
Allen Edmonds 65, 201, 1757 lasts - US13EEE
Viberg 2030 / 1035 - Viberg 13 size

My best guess for the Rancourt Harrison Boot in Natural CXL is either US 13 E or US 13 EE but I am worried whether the EE will be too wide after some wear where the E might start off as snug but will eventually mould to my feet.

Any and all advise is very much appreciated.

Last edited:

NonChalant321

Reaction score
20220818_154457.jpg

Carolina brown Acadias from crowdfunding arrived today. They topped my expectations. I went wider than my 8.5D ranger mocs and went with 8.5E and was second-guessing until I put them on. They have slight pinches of tightness in a few spots but thats expected (given its CXL, maybe even desired) and will stretch to fit.

The real winner is the LH Rally sole. Its supremely comfortable and easy on the soles of my feet. Cheers.

Luscombe

Reaction score
View attachment 1823601

Carolina brown Acadias from crowdfunding arrived today. They topped my expectations. I went wider than my 8.5D ranger mocs and went with 8.5E and was second-guessing until I put them on. They have slight pinches of tightness in a few spots but thats expected (given its CXL, maybe even desired) and will stretch to fit.

The real winner is the LH Rally sole. Its supremely comfortable and easy on the soles of my feet. Cheers.
I got a pair of those in natural Essex in the crowdfunding. The Rally sole is just sublime. The Essex leather is thick and soft. Combine the two and you have shoe slippers:)
The Acadias with the Rally soles are the most comfortable Rancourts I own. Highly recommended. To get the Rally, you have to custom order though.

NonChalant321

Reaction score
I got a pair of those in natural Essex in the crowdfunding. The Rally sole is just sublime. The Essex leather is thick and soft. Combine the two and you have shoe slippers:)
The Acadias with the Rally soles are the most comfortable Rancourts I own. Highly recommended. To get the Rally, you have to custom order though.

I was flip flopping between getting the essex acadias for crowdfunding, but didn't know enough about essex. If I knew it was that soft and supple, I think I might have chosen them over the cxl. How are they for winter? How is the Acadia in general as a winter boot?

GaiusM

Reaction score
Are these the same as your custom order?

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All, first post here on this thread. I am interested in the pre-order for Harrison Boot in Natural CXL and as usual, am looking for sizing advice prior to going for the 1st pair from Rancourt.
Reference Sizes:
Alden Trubalance - US13E
Alden Barrie - US13E
Grant Stone Leo - US13E
Grant Stone Traveller Loafers - US13E (dune cxl)
Allen Edmonds 65, 201, 1757 lasts - US13EEE
Viberg 2030 / 1035 - Viberg 13 size

My best guess for the Rancourt Harrison Boot in Natural CXL is either US 13 E or US 13 EE but I am worried whether the EE will be too wide after some wear where the E might start off as snug but will eventually mould to my feet.

Any and all advise is very much appreciated.
Update: I asked the same question to Rancourt and their response was to go for 13E. So order placed and fingers crossed. Managed just in time as I got in on the 47th or 48th pair out of 50!
Have been looking at all the pictures since page 700 amd the caramel shell looks great.

Luscombe

Reaction score
I was flip flopping between getting the essex acadias for crowdfunding, but didn't know enough about essex. If I knew it was that soft and supple, I think I might have chosen them over the cxl. How are they for winter? How is the Acadia in general as a winter boot?
This turned out to be a long post. Sorry about that. Hopefully, my experience will help others find a great fit or perfect combination in their Rancourt journey. I posted photos of my Acadias for reference.

The Acadias are my favorite Rancourt, followed closely by the Ranger. I also like the Byron & Knox for foul weather and cold winter. Each has a sweet spot. Different configurations will fit and feel very different.

I found that once you get the fit dialed in, style & last, you can then experiment with different leather, liners, and soles. This process takes time, especially if you have something other than normal size feet. Upfront disclosure, for me, the wait and $ were worth the investment.

Soles
The soles greatly affect comfort and use; comfort-wise, RLH soles are superior and the Rally is the best for me. The Aspen is slippery on wet surfaces and the RLH with the heel vs wedge is better than the Aspen. The mini-vibram is a great-looking sole, wears well but is pretty hard. The camp soles are very durable and do not offer much comfort on hard surfaces.

Leathers & Liners
I like shoes with thicker leather that will conform to my feet but not stretch much. Rancourt is so cool in that you can mix and match almost any of their leathers, styles, and soles to create your own custom shoe. Want a (3) hole boat shoe instead of the (2) hole stock shoe, no problem, just ask. You have to pay to play but I don't know of any other shoemaker that offers this. On top of that, the quality and build of their shoes and boots are exceptional.

My Acadias
My first was a custom order in unlined Toast Rushmore Bison on their standard sole. I love the look and feel of the shoe but it is 1/2 size too small. I could not return it as I had worn them trying to figure out why they were not comfortable Turned out the thicker leather and stiffer sole added structure and caused the shoe to flex in an area that my feet did not like. This was a different fit compared to the same size Ranger on camp soles. I had a second pair made, a 1/2 size up in the same leather. When they arrived, the leather was very dark and different from the Rushmore. Rancourt agreed to take them back. Is anyone interested in this Acadia in a 10.5B?

My second pair was a crowdfunded unlined natty CXL on their standard Acadia sole. I wanted to dial my size in before doing any more custom Acadias. These fit fine at first but after wearing them for about six months they stretched to the point that I had to add a tongue pad, thin insert, DR Schol odor eater, and wear thick socks. Now the leather looks and feels like a crumpled grocery bag. It has no structure or support. These are my grass cutting and yard work Acadias.

I was getting closer to dialing in my size and leather options. I figured I needed a thick structured leather, a lining, and the RLH Rally sole. I sourced some brown medium-weight horse butt from Maverick Leather and sent it to Rancourt. they made a pair of lined Acadia's on the Rally sole for me. These are the perfect chukka for me. They fit great, are structured, and provide some support with boot-like leather, a smooth soft lining, and the superb Rally sole. The leather is heavy enough to deal with the snow and salt in our Wisconsin winters. The cost was a little extra, but well worth the risk. These Acadias are my favorite ones.

During the last crowdfunding, I saw the Acadia ReDux being offered in natty Essex with a Rally sole for a steep discount. No hesitation at all. That combination checked all the boxes except the lining. The Essex is thick, soft, and supple, not much structure but very comfortable on the Rally. This leather will become even better with time and will not end up looking like crumpled shopping bags. They are soft and lightweight with a very comfortable sole. These are not a work boot at all, more like a slipper designed for the outside. My wife even commented on the softness of the leather. Oh, and did I mention the potential patina on the Veggy tanned Essex? These are my second favorite Acadias!

Everyone's feet are different. It has taken me some time and $ to figure out which Rancourt's, lasts,
Acadia Bison 10.5 B 2.jpg
Acadia Bison 10.5 B 6.jpg
20220820_101924.jpg

Upper quarters touch after lacing due to stretching of CXL.
Acadia CXL-1.jpg
20211126_152544.jpg
20211231_123232.jpg

CXL on the top shoes is very thin compared to horse butt plus lining.
20220820_101957.jpg
20220801_140948.jpg
Acadia ReDux Essex 1.jpg
and makeups fit me the best. This is a challenge when you have to do everything mail order. I have figured out the Rancourt models and options that fit me best. Turns out the combinations require custom make-ups which add a little $ to the price. The benefit is a great looking and fitting shoe plus you are supporting a USA family-run business. I have talked with Kyle Rancourt and members of his staff on the phone. They are truly customer focused and will stand behind their product. I feel like they are almost giving their shoes away when they crowdfund them.

I support them every chance I get.

NonChalant321

Reaction score
This turned out to be a long post. Sorry about that. Hopefully, my experience will help others find a great fit or perfect combination in their Rancourt journey. I posted photos of my Acadias for reference.

The Acadias are my favorite Rancourt, followed closely by the Ranger. I also like the Byron & Knox for foul weather and cold winter. Each has a sweet spot. Different configurations will fit and feel very different.

I found that once you get the fit dialed in, style & last, you can then experiment with different leather, liners, and soles. This process takes time, especially if you have something other than normal size feet. Upfront disclosure, for me, the wait and $ were worth the investment.

Soles
The soles greatly affect comfort and use; comfort-wise, RLH soles are superior and the Rally is the best for me. The Aspen is slippery on wet surfaces and the RLH with the heel vs wedge is better than the Aspen. The mini-vibram is a great-looking sole, wears well but is pretty hard. The camp soles are very durable and do not offer much comfort on hard surfaces.

Leathers & Liners
I like shoes with thicker leather that will conform to my feet but not stretch much. Rancourt is so cool in that you can mix and match almost any of their leathers, styles, and soles to create your own custom shoe. Want a (3) hole boat shoe instead of the (2) hole stock shoe, no problem, just ask. You have to pay to play but I don't know of any other shoemaker that offers this. On top of that, the quality and build of their shoes and boots are exceptional.

My Acadias
My first was a custom order in unlined Toast Rushmore Bison on their standard sole. I love the look and feel of the shoe but it is 1/2 size too small. I could not return it as I had worn them trying to figure out why they were not comfortable Turned out the thicker leather and stiffer sole added structure and caused the shoe to flex in an area that my feet did not like. This was a different fit compared to the same size Ranger on camp soles. I had a second pair made, a 1/2 size up in the same leather. When they arrived, the leather was very dark and different from the Rushmore. Rancourt agreed to take them back. Is anyone interested in this Acadia in a 10.5B?

My second pair was a crowdfunded unlined natty CXL on their standard Acadia sole. I wanted to dial my size in before doing any more custom Acadias. These fit fine at first but after wearing them for about six months they stretched to the point that I had to add a tongue pad, thin insert, DR Schol odor eater, and wear thick socks. Now the leather looks and feels like a crumpled grocery bag. It has no structure or support. These are my grass cutting and yard work Acadias.

I was getting closer to dialing in my size and leather options. I figured I needed a thick structured leather, a lining, and the RLH Rally sole. I sourced some brown medium-weight horse butt from Maverick Leather and sent it to Rancourt. they made a pair of lined Acadia's on the Rally sole for me. These are the perfect chukka for me. They fit great, are structured, and provide some support with boot-like leather, a smooth soft lining, and the superb Rally sole. The leather is heavy enough to deal with the snow and salt in our Wisconsin winters. The cost was a little extra, but well worth the risk. These Acadias are my favorite ones.

During the last crowdfunding, I saw the Acadia ReDux being offered in natty Essex with a Rally sole for a steep discount. No hesitation at all. That combination checked all the boxes except the lining. The Essex is thick, soft, and supple, not much structure but very comfortable on the Rally. This leather will become even better with time and will not end up looking like crumpled shopping bags. They are soft and lightweight with a very comfortable sole. These are not a work boot at all, more like a slipper designed for the outside. My wife even commented on the softness of the leather. Oh, and did I mention the potential patina on the Veggy tanned Essex? These are my second favorite Acadias!

Everyone's feet are different. It has taken me some time and $ to figure out which Rancourt's, lasts, View attachment 1824052 View attachment 1824053 View attachment 1824054

View attachment 1824055 View attachment 1824056 View attachment 1824057

View attachment 1824058 View attachment 1824059 View attachment 1824060 and makeups fit me the best. This is a challenge when you have to do everything mail order. I have figured out the Rancourt models and options that fit me best. Turns out the combinations require custom make-ups which add a little $ to the price. The benefit is a great looking and fitting shoe plus you are supporting a USA family-run business. I have talked with Kyle Rancourt and members of his staff on the phone. They are truly customer focused and will stand behind their product. I feel like they are almost giving their shoes away when they crowdfund them.

Awesome rundown. I wholeheartedly agree with your take on the soles. Love my shell pinch penny loafers on the vibram mini lugs, but they are hard - the profile is perfect though for that style and love the subtle ruggedness hidden underneath.

I'm wondering if my brown cxl acadias will end up getting the worn grocery bag look in time. Judging by my Ranger mocs, its possible. I'll have to wait and see how I feel about that when it gets there.

One thing to add about the camp sole on the Ranger mocs, I find them pretty comfortable but they squeak incessantly on the floors in my office building. Ultimately, that keeps me from wearing them to work more. I guess they're more for campgrounds in the woods. When its time for a resole, maybe I'll try a RLH sole on them.

Luscombe

Reaction score
Update: I asked the same question to Rancourt and their response was to go for 13E. So order placed and fingers crossed. Managed just in time as I got in on the 47th or 48th pair out of 50!
Have been looking at all the pictures since page 700 amd the caramel shell looks great.
I agree, the Carmel shell is really nice.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Soles

Leathers & Liners

My Acadias

Everyone's feet are different. It has taken me some time and $ to figure out which Rancourt's, lasts, View attachment 1824052 View attachment 1824053 View attachment 1824054

View attachment 1824055 View attachment 1824056 View attachment 1824057

View attachment 1824058 View attachment 1824059 View attachment 1824060 and makeups fit me the best. This is a challenge when you have to do everything mail order. I have figured out the Rancourt models and options that fit me best. Turns out the combinations require custom make-ups which add a little $ to the price. The benefit is a great looking and fitting shoe plus you are supporting a USA family-run business. I have talked with Kyle Rancourt and members of his staff on the phone. They are truly customer focused and will stand behind their product. I feel like they are almost giving their shoes away when they crowdfund them.

Is that 'tan' Horween horsebutt strip? The color looks great with the white Rally soles.

NonChalant321

Reaction score
20220821_102235.jpg

Side by side with ranger mocs, both in Carolina Brown. The Ranger mocs have about a year of wear, definitely has a more reddish tinge. I think it was that way from the beginning. I like the deeper brown for the Acadias.

Last edited:

roz77

Reaction score
For anyone that has a pair of ranger mocs and a a pair of camp mocs, do you take the same size in them? I have a pair of the Baxter ranger mocs in a 10.5E that fit well, but I take a 10E in loafers because otherwise my heel slips out when I walk.

I really want a pair of camp mocs now though. I previously tried both a 10E and a 10EE, thinking that a 10.5 would be too long. However, both of these seemed way too narrow on my feet. Given the current round of crowdfunding, I'm debating trying a 10.5 now, but I'm not sure if I should try a 10.5E or a 10.5EE.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads