• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Commisar

Reaction score
My Dark Brown Longwing Chandlers. Outstanding shoes.

Attachments

• 20220126_110914.jpg
    20220126_110914.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 68
  • 20220126_111345.jpg
    20220126_111345.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 20220126_112940.jpg
    20220126_112940.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220126_113157.jpg
    20220126_113157.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220126_113200.jpg
    20220126_113200.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220126_111347.jpg
    20220126_111347.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 54

Commisar

Reaction score
The guy must be drunk or Rancourt have trainee to make mistake on two shoes. I guess that this is not handsewn, otherwise the overlap would not be near the corner.
Fwiw Rancourt has taken in a good amount of brand new employees recently

hamercha

Reaction score
I'm also unclear what we were looking at in the picture.

Sebago Handmade in Hondurus.jpg

Old Sebago Handmade in Maine.jpg

Top Blue-Green docksides is made in Hondurus, and it does not have any label that indicate whether it is handsewn. As soon as Wolverine bought Sebago, Sebago's Maine plant was closed and all production are moved overseas - Hondurus is one location. I am pretty certain that this is not handsewn.

Bottom one is "handsewn" in Maine when Sebago was an independent company until early 2000.
Notice the followings:

a) On the highlighted box on both shoes, you can see that the bottom leather piece has crease evenly spread throughout.

b) On Blue-Brown Maine "handsewn" shoe crease is much smaller and evenly spread.

c) On the Blue-Green docksides there is a big gap where the bottom piece and top piece are sewn together. That is the sign of the machine sewn! I think (I do not work on factory, but was a salesmen in early 90s and 2000 for Sebago, Timberland, AE, Alden...) when you are machine sewing two pieces (faster sewing), it is harder to control and hence the crease are bigger and the spaces are not uniform and the gap forms.

d) On the Blue-Brown docksides, gap is very small and in few places. Very good handsewn almost always look like this.

e) Now look at the Rancourt. Notice the crease (right red circle) on the bottom leather are not evenly spread. Leather is bulging (black circle) because the two pieces are sewn un-evenly. Bottom and top leather have gap (red circle on the left).

This is purely shoddy workmanship! Whoever is making this shoe should not be left alone to make shoe - let alone Shell leather shoe.

Rancourt.jpg

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1744845

View attachment 1744849

Top Blue-Green docksides is made in Hondurus, and it does not have any label that indicate whether it is handsewn. As soon as Wolverine bought Sebago, Sebago's Maine plant was closed and all production are moved overseas - Hondurus is one location. I am pretty certain that this is not handsewn.

Bottom one is "handsewn" in Maine when Sebago was an independent company until early 2000.
Notice the followings:

a) On the highlighted box on both shoes, you can see that the bottom leather piece has crease evenly spread throughout.

b) On Blue-Brown Maine "handsewn" shoe crease is much smaller and evenly spread.

c) On the Blue-Green docksides there is a big gap where the bottom piece and top piece are sewn together. That is the sign of the machine sewn! I think (I do not work on factory, but was a salesmen in early 90s and 2000 for Sebago, Timberland, AE, Alden...) when you are machine sewing two pieces (faster sewing), it is harder to control and hence the crease are bigger and the spaces are not uniform and the gap forms.

d) On the Blue-Brown docksides, gap is very small and in few places. Very good handsewn almost always look like this.

e) Now look at the Rancourt. Notice the crease (right red circle) on the bottom leather are not evenly spread. Leather is bulging (black circle) because the two pieces are sewn un-evenly. Bottom and top leather have gap (red circle on the left).

This is purely shoddy workmanship! Whoever is making this shoe should not be left alone to make shoe - let alone Shell leather shoe.

View attachment 1744875
Thanks for clarifying and pointing those out!

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1744845

View attachment 1744849

Notice the followings:

View attachment 1744875
I have never heard of a machine that can saddle stitch a plug (or anything else). I'd be interested for you to explain more about machine stitched moccasins (share videos/images that show the process and/or equipment).

Either way, it's reckless to accuse Rancourt of lying about how they make their shoes. Shell is hard to last, and hend sewers can have bad days. Not saying that's an excuse for the puckering, but it's a more plausible explanation.

Commisar

Reaction score
I have never heard of a machine that can saddle stitch a plug (or anything else). I'd be interested for you to explain more about machine stitched moccasins (share videos/images that show the process and/or equipment).

Either way, it's reckless to accuse Rancourt of lying about how they make their shoes. Shell is hard to last, and hend sewers can have bad days. Not saying that's an excuse for the puckering, but it's a more plausible explanation.
Yep the person sewing probably pinched something too hard or the like.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was what I was wondering, they have always had really good customer support for me.

-Mike
Same. Plus I had similar, but less, puckering on my pair and they reassured me it was just the nature of using thick unglazed cordovan for the shoe. If anything was structural with it they guaranteed they would stand by it. I haven't seen anything in the few wears that would make me think otherwise.

WJosiah

Reaction score
What was Rancourt's response?

I emailed them last week, got a response today:
"Thank you for your response and our apologies for the delay. Unfortunately, we recently discovered that all email responses from our other system were being marked as spam which is a folder we do not monitor."

Then they sent me a return label so they're probably getting remade.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I emailed them last week, got a response today:
"Thank you for your response and our apologies for the delay. Unfortunately, we recently discovered that all email responses from our other system were being marked as spam which is a folder we do not monitor."

Then they sent me a return label so they're probably getting remade.
That's good to hear. I just double checked mine and they really don't look anything like your pair. Just some very slight rippling right near the moc stitch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads